Cheapest Bang for the Buck IB in floor DIY? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm building a new house, already wired in all the speaker wire and AV cables for the projectore ect.. And I want to build my first IB sub in the floor.
Im going with a manifold design, but my budget is fairly small due to the costs of construction ect. I was thinking of building a dual 15 or 18 setup with some cheap speakers and upgrading the drivers later down the road. Could you guys reccomend the best bang for the buck IB drivers?
I've heard of guys using Pyle drivers and/or anything they could get their hands on and getting decent results, but wanted to ask you all before I start gambling......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Liked: 11
I think the IB3's from Fi are still considered the best bang for buck generally. I have a 4 driver IB with some used Dayton 15" IB drivers that I got off the 'Bay for about $50 or $60 a piece if I remember correctly. There are ways to do it if you shop around, just don't expect the same performance as the big boys.

How big is the room you're setting it up in?
post #3 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
PM "gracey", he has 4 Fi IB3 18s for sale in great shape.

Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice:
It's also the very sort of Voodoo Engineering that should never be done.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

It's an open floor plan, the listening section is about 10x12, but adjacent is a small dinnig area and mini kitchen. The room also has dual layered 5/8" sheetrock, and R38 insulation, so I don't think it would need a whole lot to geth the room pumping..

My other concern is that their are vents below the house that would be 5-20ft from the rears of the IB's. Should I be concerned about sharing bass with the neighbors?
post #5 of 14 Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the lead on the Ib's Wisouns!
post #6 of 14 Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrossmann View Post

It's an open floor plan, the listening section is about 10x12, but adjacent is a small dinnig area and mini kitchen. The room also has dual layered 5/8" sheetrock, and R38 insulation, so I don't think it would need a whole lot to geth the room pumping..

My other concern is that their are vents below the house that would be 5-20ft from the rears of the IB's. Should I be concerned about sharing bass with the neighbors?

I'm pretty sure the vents will play very little role in sharing bass with the neighbors. I know that I've read several posts in the past from IB users that claimed the subs were not offensive to nearby neighbors.

I believe that the sound at the frequencies your subs will be dealing with won't be able to tell much of a difference between vent or no vent....I could be wrong though....
post #7 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 PM

I wouldn't overlook the neighbour issue too quickly. IB is the worst of all options in that regard, and it's not really a budget option, although you can upgrade drivers later as you say.

Another option to consider, with bang for buck in mind, is a built in tapped horn. Inside the room it could appear as an IB.

There are a couple of advantages:

1. Higher output - 12 db greater
2. Less spent on drivers
3. Less leakage to the neighbours

The beauty of IB is that you don't burn up so much amp power, so one amp can get the most out of a number of drivers moving a lot of air. But this tends to mean spending more on a lot of high xmax drivers.

When I posted my plans on another forum, I had people saying "why not just IB?" Thought I might return the favour! In my case, a couple of sheets of cheap ply avoided spending a lot more on amps and drivers to get the same output.

Not trying to convince you, just offering an alternative worth considering.

Having said all that, a tapped horn suggests choosing drivers, ideally a pair for dual opposed, then sticking with them. Not so much lending itself to changing drivers later, unless you work out two pairs of drivers at different price points that will work in the design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.:: Writer for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.::

+ TD18H woofers +
+

post #8 of 14 Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Paul
Can you elaborate or point out a link to the configuration of a "tapped horn"? I have 4 AE IB15's that aren't quite enough for my new room as an IB configuration, and I don't know if I want to spend the time and $$$ to get 4 more from John/AE, but they don't model well in a conventional enclosure.
Thanks!
post #9 of 14 Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Duh! Just saw the link in a later post of yours, which got me to the lilmike post and the hornresp link. Think I'm good ... for now
post #10 of 14 Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM

You might be best to sell your drivers in that case, you probably won't have much trouble. AE drivers are very popular, aren't often available second hand and people get to have them right away. The Qts is probably too high for just about anything but IB.

Or alternatively, just keep them and add in a tapped horn built in. Say a pair of Dayton 15" RS drivers dual opposed. Very quick rule of thumb, a tapped horn can equal the output of a sealed/IB sub with 4x as much VD. In other words, two of the Dayton 15" would probably equate to 8 x 15" IB drivers. Note use of the word "probably." That's me being in too much of a hurry to model both.

.:: Writer for
.::

+ TD18H woofers +
+

post #11 of 14 Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Paul, I can say I was impressed looking at those Killer Horns you built \\m/
I like the idea as well but I think I have my mind set on 2 IB318's, and a EV CP2200 that I have laying around, or maybe my Tube Mesa Strategy just for kicks. I will look into the tapped horn idea as well, very compelling, plus it would eliminate a lot of the sound coming from under the house.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-13-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrossmann View Post

it would eliminate a lot of the sound coming from under the house.

As posted earlier the sound emanating from the little vents in an enclosed crawl space is usually inconsequential. Should there be a problem it's easily solved with some fiberglass batts.

post #13 of 14 Old 04-13-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Thomas, that's the motivation I needed... it was my only concern... IB all the way... Question though.. do you think 2 1B3 18's will be enough for this room. Im not a bass head, just want accurate bass as i may check my mastering mixes on it from time to time.. The room is around 20x12 with the thater/listening area around 12x12...
post #14 of 14 Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes a pair of Fi IB3-18"s should be just fine

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page