AVS Forum banner

end table / stealth build 15" ed aluminum driver

6K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  jayhawk785 
#1 ·
We needed an end table that would span the distance of the two we're currently using end to end (approximately 48"). I had to build one with a cubby type space for the wife to store things. I also had to build it so you couldn't tell it was a subwoofer (her qualifications). Given the last two I built for the theater, I was willing to adhere to her guidelines.

this is an odd driver i picked up from eD. It doesnt get as low as I wanted, so I built the cabinet with the ability to add a 15" ixl down the line, and get some more out of the oaudio amp, by just upping the gain and changing the HPF crossover point.

That said-- I started last week and meant to post my progress but got busy--so, I'll post my progress up to today:

This is where I am as of tonight....

got the stain on and the poly about done:

Granite should be done tomorrow or friday--went with an ubatuba/dark green/blackish color...

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow, the granite on top of your sub is nicer than the top in my kitchen, top notch build for sure. Looks sweet as he$&.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242 /forum/post/21898805

Where's the pics of the driver? I've only seen one aluminum cone driver from eD and it was sourced from TC Sounds. It was the AV.2 prototype that ended up being similar to the Axis/TC 3000.

That's the driver as installed--I don't think I have a pic of it outside... They had told me its the same driver they use in there 450 or something?

@rlj5242 - its lighter on the paneling and darker on the 'trim'

#13 ·
Great job, looks terrific!

I just hope you find the correct placement. Coffee tables are tough because the middle of the room is typically the worst place for a sub.

#17 ·
Nice!

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk785 /forum/post/21900223

Thanks, It's actually an end table--just 2x longer than your standard size. We needed something to space from the end of the couch to the recliner--and that turned out to be about 2 end tables wide (48")

Perfect then!

You should be able to rock the house!

Congrats on a great build! Very cool!

I built end tables myself a while back. I still love them!

#19 ·
Wow, beautiful work! Functional too... crap storage is always a big plus in my house

Did you veneer the inner left/right sides of the cubby slot? I can't tell from the pics. I would love to hear how you handled it.

Hope you share a pic when it's in-room.

I was tempted to bottom mount my plate amp on my recent project but was a little worried about heat build up. I didn't do much research on the topic. Did you happen to ask around about that at all?

#20 ·
Someone else asked about heat with the plate amp being mounted as such. There's plenty of air moving around inside the cabin, and since the air is being forced down underneath the sub, it's bound to cool off the heat sink (those were my rationalizations anyway).

Just had a friend help me move the table in at lunch--we also put the granite top on as well and I snapped a picture. I'll post that up shortly. I need to put some felt feet on on the legs, so I can push it around a bit. It's a heaver f'er.

#21 ·
Ya, I wouldn't worry about overheating the amp. You would have to be pounding it pretty hard for extended periods and even then like you said there is enough air moving around and heat also transfers away to the wood.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/21903033

Ya, I wouldn't worry about overheating the amp. You would have to be pounding it pretty hard for extended periods and even then like you said there is enough air moving around and heat also transfers away to the wood.

That and this is the third sub in the room--and its super-near-field, so I doubt it will have to work very hard. There's a velodyne dd12 in the front of the room, and a velodyne spl1200 in the corner behind the couch.
--and if you want to count the 'subs' in teh deftech 8060's--there's a few more lol.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk785 /forum/post/21903041

That and this is the third sub in the room--and its super-near-field, so I doubt it will have to work very hard. There's a velodyne dd12 in the front of the room, and a velodyne spl1200 in the corner behind the couch.
--and if you want to count the 'subs' in teh deftech 8060's--there's a few more lol.

Sweet!

It's never enough!!

#26 ·

sweet! granite looks awesome. whole thing looks awesome

about the heat issue - i wasn't thinking - you've got a large ported enclosure, i was working with a small sealed one. my situation might have been an issue but probably not yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.