Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 04-20-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 162
WOW!!!
I just finished watching underworld awakening and this has to be the most powerful bass movie I have ever experienced.

I had to go turn the bass way down! I hope I didn't break my subs.
I need to get more powerful subs!
Does anyone have numbers on this movie?

Am I the only one who's seen this?

Guys please experience it. It's ridiculous the bass!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 130
What subs do you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 60 Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

What subs do you have?

I have 4x MFW-15 subs...one per corner driven by a EP4000.
They cannot take them.
My dial, on the EP4000, is set at 26 (1' o'clock) had to turn it down to 20 (10' o'clock)

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #4 of 60 Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll (try) to sit through it tomorrow. I haven't made it through the previous movies, so dull.

post #5 of 60 Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Don't worry. It's short and sweet.

post #6 of 60 Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Just sort of thinking out loud here but why does it seem like you are using the gain control as a volume control on the amp My dial, on the EP4000, is set at 26 (1' o'clock) had to turn it down to 20 (10' o'clock)? Thanks.

James
post #7 of 60 Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Thought it wasn't on disc until the 24th?

post #8 of 60 Old 04-21-2012, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Just sort of thinking out loud here but why does it seem like you are using the gain control as a volume control on the amp “My dial, on the EP4000, is set at 26 (1' o'clock) had to turn it down to 20 (10' o'clock)”? Thanks.

James

I'm still in the process of finishing my HT Room. My equipment is outside of my HT and I still don't have a remote extender to control my amp.
It was just easier to turn the dial down on the amp vs. going through the menu of the amp to turn the sub output down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

Have a special pre-order

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #9 of 60 Old 04-21-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

I have 4x MFW-15 subs...one per corner driven by a EP4000.

The movie overpowered that setup??? I'll have to bypass it then; my HT doesn't stand a chance.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #10 of 60 Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 375
I'll have to give it a try

6hz at -15db

20hz at -15db

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #11 of 60 Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
How does it compare to the re-entry scene on Serenity (scene 2)?
post #12 of 60 Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Seriously,was that a download or a Bluray?

Mike

post #13 of 60 Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

It's the BR. I assume it was for others as well?

post #14 of 60 Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I just wish I had the means to get these movies on BD at early dates like so many others. I'm so picky about how my stack of BDs look that I couldnt do it without cases, cover art and absolutely the best setup for making them this way.

I'm nowhere near savvy enough to pick out all the equipment let alone use it.

I'll have to stick to watching the shelf stockers at walmart unbox my BDs around midnight on Monday nights if I just cant wait until tuesday afternoon to watch an anticipated movie.

Some Monday nights when a really good movie is about to be shelfed my wife will look at me and ask why I havent had a beer yet if its getting late in the night. She knows I could be making the late night trip to town way I can terrorise the stocking person that has no idea why someone would just stand around until that magical box containing that BD is opened. Some of them will continue opening them until the awaited BD is opened and others will just tell me that I will have to wait until they get to its box. I normally have a venti starbucks so am in no hurry. I'm a nut but love being one in the recliner watching a new release 100% of the time.
post #15 of 60 Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris View Post

(Both) I downed it at a cost of $41.4GB. It's the 3D version and played the DTS-MA audio track.

I re-watched the movie yesterday with my wife and she said at the 12' second mark into the movie "Oh, I see now why you don't mind re-watching it:"rolleyes: Then she looked at me at the 40' second mark and did this: followed by , naturally I did this: followed by You'll see when you see it!

Underworld Awakening is my new Bass reference movie bar none.
I had a few before this one:
War of the Worlds(DTS)
Tron: Legacy
The last Airbender
Battle: Los Angeles
If these are rated 5 stars for bass then I HAVE TO give Underworld Awakening "6" stars!

I can't wait to hear what you guys with serious subs think of the sound.
Sorry guys...but I'm still dumbfounded how much bass there is.

Regards,

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #16 of 60 Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

$41,thats expensive!!! Have you tried the latest Transformer's movie?

Mike

post #17 of 60 Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Let's keep this on topic, for the new guys there are people who get movies early and we should not care how, I see it as they can let us know what movies to avoid or not as bass is concerned. I wait like most people. I am putting together a new DIY sub system and this movie(underworld) will be the first full movie with them. I will of course test the usual suspects.

For the guy not impressed with WOTW expect to be disappointed often as there are not many better! Cloverfield was a short movie so it seems it had more but it does not, they are both great!
post #18 of 60 Old 04-22-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(Both) I downed it at a cost of $41.4GB. It's the 3D version and played the DTS-MA audio track.

I re-watched the movie yesterday with my wife and she said at the 12' second mark into the movie "Oh, I see now why you don't mind re-watching it:"rolleyes: Then she looked at me at the 40' second mark and did this: followed by , naturally I did this: followed by You'll see when you see it!

Underworld Awakening is my new Bass reference movie bar none.
War of the Worlds(DTS)
The last Airbender
If these are rated 5 stars for bass then I HAVE TO give Underworld Awakening "6" stars!

Regards,

I agree with MK. It doesn't matter how, whether the retail BR "fell off a truck" or was obtained by some other method. That sort of thing shouldn't be discussed here.

I checked out your build thread, and didn't read it very carefully, but can you tell us what subs you have, and in what configuration (a pic or two might help to update your build), plus what EQ if any? Thanks!

As for me, I just have a single 2011 Captivator in 15hz tune, powered by an EP4000 with a minidsp 2x4 balanced in the mix, 14hz HPF. I realize I'm missing the bottom 1.5 octaves, but still this movie has bass like no other I've watched in recent memory. It's a stunning bass presentation, with good and artful use of surrounds. The movie was short enough, and with enough of Kate in that luscious latex suit, that I could overlook it's badness.

post #19 of 60 Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

I agree with MK. It doesn't matter how, whether the retail BR "fell off a truck" or was obtained by some other method. That sort of thing shouldn't be discussed here.

Why is that?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #20 of 60 Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked out your build thread, and didn't read it very carefully, but can you tell us what subs you have, and in what configuration (a pic or two might help to update your build), plus what EQ if any? Thanks!

As for me, I just have a single 2011 Captivator in 15hz tune, powered by an EP4000 with a minidsp 2x4 balanced in the mix, 14hz HPF. I realize I'm missing the bottom 1.5 octaves, but still this movie has bass like no other I've watched in recent memory. It's a stunning bass presentation, with good and artful use of surrounds. The movie was short enough, and with enough of Kate in that luscious latex suit, that I could overlook it's badness.

You sure are trying to make a mountain out of a hill... it seems you and MK are the ones discussing the origins of his BRay... Who said anything about it 'falling off a truck'? Unreal...

Mike

post #21 of 60 Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
I did not say that at all, I said it does not matter and who cares, their business.
post #22 of 60 Old 04-23-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Does anyone have a waterfall of this movie yet?

Quote:

As for me, I just have a single 2011 Captivator in 15hz tune, powered by an EP4000 with a minidsp 2x4 balanced in the mix, 14hz HPF. I realize I'm missing the bottom 1.5 octaves

An octave is relative to your fundamental starting frequency. An increments in powers of 2.

For consistency, let's all agree to start at zero hz as reference (or "near-zero" hz and keep to whole numbers above 1hz so as to not subdivide infinitely down to 0-Lim); which is suitable for ULF subwoofer discussions.

0-1hz First octave
1-2hz Second octave
2-4hz Third octave
4-8hz Fourth octave
8-16hz Fifth octave
16-32hz Sixth octave
32-64hz Seventh octave
64-128hz Eighth octave

So what octave does this movie go down to and at what level?

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

post #23 of 60 Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Most sources (like bosso) have 3-6Hz as the lowest octave, with 6-12 being 2nd, and 12-24 being third.

JSS
post #24 of 60 Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 PM

Liked: 10
Just saw this and totally agree. This and Cloverfield are my two audio reference movies. Bass is almost non stop.
post #25 of 60 Old 04-24-2012, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I will have to try this with my new infinite baffle sub.

If people are saying it compares well with Cloverfield, that's a good sign.

I've found some demos that sounded great on my old subs, like Transformers and Die Hard are not so impressive on my new sub, because demos like Cloverfield and WoTW are so much more impressive with their extra low content. They raise the bar very high.

20 to 40 Hz sounds are for little kids once you get used to the floor rippling with the REAL low stuff.
post #26 of 60 Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Why is that?

Quote:

You sure are trying to make a mountain out of a hill... it seems you and MK are the ones discussing the origins of his BRay... Who said anything about it 'falling off a truck'? Unreal...

Relax, buddy. You asked the origins (see quote below). I said "falling off a truck" as an example of how one might obtain the disc in a fashion that would not be appropriate to discuss on these forums. I'm sorry if that wasn't obvious. I thought it was plain. :/

See also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

Quote:

Yeah, so you wanted to know. Chillax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

Does anyone have a waterfall of this movie yet?

An octave is relative to your fundamental starting frequency. An increments in powers of 2.

For consistency, let's all agree to start at zero hz as reference (or "near-zero" hz and keep to whole numbers above 1hz so as to not subdivide infinitely down to 0-Lim); which is suitable for ULF subwoofer discussions.

0-1hz First octave
1-2hz Second octave
2-4hz Third octave
4-8hz Fourth octave
8-16hz Fifth octave
16-32hz Sixth octave
32-64hz Seventh octave
64-128hz Eighth octave

So what octave does this movie go down to and at what level?

Thank you. I do appreciate being corrected. I was more referring to what max said below, but I somehow got confused about the math. I swear I learned it all in music theory class way back when!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Most sources (like bosso) have 3-6Hz as the lowest octave, with 6-12 being 2nd, and 12-24 being third.

JSS

post #27 of 60 Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I saw this in IMAX and the bass was awesome. The most intense scene was when the HUGE wolf found the hideout and fought with Kate Beckinsale there.
post #28 of 60 Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

(Both)Underworld Awakening is my new Bass reference movie bar none.
War of the Worlds(DTS)
The last Airbender

Regards,

Well that's a pretty good group of bass movies there, have to check this one out.

post #29 of 60 Old 04-24-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

It's a factor of 2.

Noah
post #30 of 60 Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothman View Post

I saw this in IMAX and the bass was awesome. The most intense scene was when the HUGE wolf found the hideout and fought with Kate Beckinsale there.

This is now my new reference scene,
Put it at the 47 minute mark, sit down and be amazed! At the end of the fighting scene when Kate fly's and crashes downstairs...the next 4 thumps = WOW.

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page