Sealed SSR attempt with hardwood edges - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Today i completed my sealed cabinet build for Selah Audio SSR speaker. I had never attempted a cabinet with hardwood edges, and was always impressed whenever i saw such type of speakers. Custom cabinets are always way too expensive, and i wanted to give this kind of build a shot and i've a MTM tower that i am planning on building next. This was more like a trial build just to see if i can do something like this, and learn from my mistakes.

Here are the results:

I learnt a lot of things along the way especially on how to and how not to veneer. Plus i gained some interesting insights into finishing .... I hope to put those into use when building my towers.

However i need some input from people about what kind of stain to use for my bubinga veneer. I don't want this reddish tinge, and would like either grey/brown like the B&W nautilus signature models. I think they call it tiger eye and its very striking. I want to figure out how to get that look with my available bubinga veneer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Those look fantastic IMO!
post #3 of 11 Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 59
buy ash burl then dye it brown.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix View Post

Today i completed my sealed cabinet build for Selah Audio SSR speaker. I had never attempted a cabinet with hardwood edges, and was always impressed whenever i saw such type of speakers. Custom cabinets are always way too expensive, and i wanted to give this kind of build a shot and i've a MTM tower that i am planning on building next. This was more like a trial build just to see if i can do something like this, and learn from my mistakes.

Here are the results:

I learnt a lot of things along the way especially on how to and how not to veneer. Plus i gained some interesting insights into finishing .... I hope to put those into use when building my towers.

However i need some input from people about what kind of stain to use for my bubinga veneer. I don't want this reddish tinge, and would like either grey/brown like the B&W nautilus signature models. I think they call it tiger eye and its very striking. I want to figure out how to get that look with my available bubinga veneer.

Great looking bookshelfs !! Are those Scan speak Revelators ?

Could u tell us more about the enclosure volume and drivers??
post #5 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

These are SSR speakers from Selah audio.

http://selahaudio.com/id124.html

The woofer is scan speak revelator 18W8531 and the tweeter is fountek 3.0. The sealed version is housed in a .75 cu ft box. I just designed it such that it doesn't look too tall from up front. I didn't care if it was a bit deeper than normal.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 36
we need to know the build process and what did you leaned, and what not to do so others can share your experience. much appreciated.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

we need to know the build process and what did you leaned, and what not to do so others can share your experience. much appreciated.

Agreed. I've some pics of the finishing process and what i had to deal with. I didn't take pics of the initial build as its a fairly straight forward build. I'll do a write up shortly, and update this thread.

BTW, for my tower MTMs, this is the finish i'm aiming for ... but using my existing figured bubinga veneer.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fine work, cacophonics. Those will put a smile on your face every time you look at them
post #9 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, John! They sure sound wonderful. Especially when paired with the twin subs. I always had issues with bass and now i am able to finally experience decent full range performance downstairs.

And here they are with the 2 anarchy 25Hz subwoofers that lilmike designed. I'll be painting it black shortly .... Also will be building some sort of an enclosure for the amps so that they can be tucked inside the cabinet.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 59
thats not wood.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-02-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

cookieattk,

Are you referring to the B&W veneer? I read that its man made veneer ... so i understand that i won't be able to get the same kind of figure pattern. That's ok with me. What i'm instead looking for is the color contrast combination.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page