DIY newbie info help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the itch to build speakers but don't know enough to ask the right questions or find what I'm looking for online.

While doing research on a bunch of sites, I find myself lost and having no starting point to jump from. Personally, before I start buying kits or parts I want to have more of an understanding of how to begin the journey from an idea to a completed speaker.

Are there any sites/forum posts/books that document step by step in excruciating detail of how to choose drivers that work well together, design of a crossover that makes decent to great use of those drivers, and a case that has has the right size to make it all work?

In speaker making how much is guess and check and how much is science?

I think my main roadblock is not understanding how to choose parts in an educated fashion.

Where do you start? Drivers, casing, crossover?
Which should control the design?
What materials should you use and why?
How much space in the case should you have?
How much filler should you put in the case? What should filler be?
How do you know what drivers will sound good together if you want something like a center channel?
How do you match to the center channel if you were to make left and right speakers after?

I have so many more questions but don't want to inundate the thread. Any assistance would be fantastic. I'm going on vacation in a few days so anything that I can take with me to read or anything online would be fantastic.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I can tell you now, you're not going to be able to design a decent speaker without gaining extensive experience and knowledge first.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=219617
post #3 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

From first glance the link you posted seems like a great resource! Thank you very much I am excited to read as much of this as I can!
post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhuntersfa View Post

Are there any sites/forum posts/books that document step by step in excruciating detail of how to choose drivers that work well together, design of a crossover that makes decent to great use of those drivers, and a case that has has the right size to make it all work?

Read _Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers and Rooms_ by Floyd Toole. It's a short (500 pages) summary on what we know about how speakers and rooms work with psychoacoustics ending with the latest research that lets us predict speaker preference using a formula taking into account things like on-axis flatness, off-axis smoothenss, and bass extension. After reading it you should have a good idea of what makes an excellent speaker.

Then read _The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook_ by Vance Dickason. It's a practical guide on how to design speakers (things like "here's how to get your cross-over to sum flat on-axis") but doesn't say enough about what's important.

Quote:

In speaker making how much is guess and check and how much is science?

It should be mostly science.

Quote:

Where do you start? Drivers, casing, crossover?

Design goals: price, placement constraints, size limits, output level requirements, bass extension required, etc.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You need to pick a proven design from one of a few great people in the DIY network. I only say this because you dont seem to have any more of an idea how to build a speaker than I do. There are a lot of designs out there for free that give you all the info you need to make the units. I only say this because it isnt something that one can just pick up a few books and then start designing quality speakers. Gaining the knowledge alone will take more time than most people would care to spend unless they are going to go into a business or start a really in depth hobby for years upon years. Welcome to the forum!

Lilmike here has a lot of plans for subs. He knows his stuff and has proven it by building multiple designs that match what his models showed. For subs download winisd to model your designs. Very easy once you mess with it for an hour or so.

As far as towers, wave guides, and other types of seperates others will chime in I'm sure.

I know there was a guy who made quite a few different waveguide designs on another DIY audio forum but they are floating around here as well.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the good advice and great resources. I had a hard time searching online for anything that felt like an absolute beginners guide. All the places I was finding seemed to be more for intermediate-advanced. These new resources look promising!

I am ready to be humbled by the process, I already feel way out of my league with what I have read. I have no background in any of the much needed fields that go into speaker making. I have buy in from the family so I can make this hobby a reality when I feel more comfortable.

I know when I actually do decide to take the plunge and build one I will go with a pre-designed speaker. I just honestly don't want the process to feel like magic as it currently does before I buy the kit/parts.

Is there such thing as "dated" speaker kits? When I was looking at a few places their designs were 6+ years old. I'm not sure how much things change in the speaker world on a yearly basis.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhuntersfa View Post

Is there such thing as "dated" speaker kits? When I was looking at a few places their designs were 6+ years old. I'm not sure how much things change in the speaker world on a yearly basis.

As long as the designs were well done and the drivers are still available, no. There are tons of newer designs available though.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=211558
post #8 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 840
drew's suggestions will definitely give you a good jumping off point.

the JBL Professional Sound System Design Manual parts 1 and 2 provide an overview of pro system design which is a little different but many of the fundamentals are the same. it is free if you want something to read while waiting for your amazon order to show up. :-)
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/genera...?CatID=1&Run=1

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page