Different Ideas to incorporate 2 pairs of different style subs - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 112 Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

You know what this thread is missing? New stuff. tongue.gif

Terribly sorry, but a week ago today I lost a younger brother (from another mother) who took his own life. It has been a very long 7 days, and needless to say I have not gotten anything done in theater, or anywhere else for that matter... I will check back in when I have some time this week.

During this process I have acquired two new roommates, some beautiful American Blue Pits that are certainly keeping my hands full at the moment. I have offered to keep them for the time being until a more permanent situation arises, but they certainly do love to cuddle up for a movie. I'm telling you, the breed gets a bad rap.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Very sorry to hear that.

post #93 of 112 Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm sorry for your loss.
post #94 of 112 Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Oh!? I'm sorry to hear that, Beast.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #95 of 112 Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My condolences Beast. I acquired my Pitbull cuddle buddy under hectic circumstances but he's a fixture now and brings me much joy. I hope things stabilize in your life soon.
post #96 of 112 Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Your loss is certainly felt, very sorry to hear.

And yes, your comments,.... the breed gets a bad rap. As an owner, there's none better (certainly with regard to loyalty). When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought of this one pic of our pit, Daisy. In light of your recent comments, I'll share it now. Maybe in some small way, others may like it as much as I do.

Two different styles of subwoofers;

And you're right, she's very cuddly. I like the idea of her being so loyal toward my wife.

If she's not waiting for my wife to come home (above), she's in her lap,...as the following pic shows.

Take care, all the best.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #97 of 112 Old 08-28-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you all for the comments. Things have for the most part returned back to normal, minus the two little hippos now running around. They have however decided that the theater is their favorite room in the house. With that said, I hope to have some time this week to get some things going. IF the final result doesnt make me as happy as when I had the tubatrons and the RE's playing together, I am considering taking 3 of the 2225h's and seeing what I can do with some SEOS horns and maybe create some active XO's mains. That would be stellar!!! I would assume if a passive XO ever did come out for the 2226H and the SEOS combo, that since the drivers are near identical, that it would be an easy drop in. I could be wrong here though...

I am also measuring to see if I can get them ALL behind the screen but that is going to take some serious cramming of subs and therefore very limited placements.

I also have to start boxing up some of my other stuff that I still need to sell, anyone want a denon 3311? haha. I havent even tried out the sms-1 yet either and dont even know if I want/need to while I still have the DCX.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #98 of 112 Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I reslise this thread is no longer about integrating two different types of subs but when I was considering doing the same I found it and was interested in the result so I thought I would post my thoughts for anyone looking later. I just finished integrating a JTR Orbit Shifter horn with a sealed dual opposed 15" DIY setup and it worked very well. I used a mini-dsp to high pass the OS at 27Hz and low pass the sealed at the same freq. I added a low shelf in at 18Hz to boost the bottom end and ended up pretty much flat from the behringer 5Hz cutoff to the 80hz xo with the mains. No phase issues at all that weren't easily avoided with a bit of delay in the mini-dsp. Really no concern whatsoever. This arrangement gives the old 15's the headroom they were always lacking since they are only covering a 20Hz window and allows the shifter to stay right in it's efficiency range of 25-100Hz. The sound is smooth and effortless and I don't spend the whole movie watching the clip lights on the ep4000 like I used to.

(3) JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR)
(2) JTR Single 8 (wides)
(2) JTR Slanted 8 (sides)
(2) DIY Eminence 10" coax (rear Surrounds)
(2) JTR Orbit Shifters
(2) Mach5 UXL-18's sealed
(2) Soundsplinter 15's sealed
Speakers powered by 6 crown xls 1500's
UXL's powered by Peavey IPR-7500

My theater:
http://www.avs...
post #99 of 112 Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I reslise this thread is no longer about integrating two different types of subs

It most certainly still is about that!! I just got them all in this weekend and tonight is shaping up to be a great measuring night so far, minus the fantasy draft at 8 smile.gif I posted on your findings in the JTR and am really impressed at your OM readings that far down. Do you have version 2.0 or the original? If the original did you send it in to get it recalibrated? I need to do that, or consider the 2.0 setup as I can never get REW to work right, although I haven't given up hope yet.

So far, ive moved the RE's to the dead center with the 4648's flanking them, which all fits pretty well, its too bad I cant fit the LLT's in there as well...Just too dang big. So far I was just wanting to enjoy them this weekend, and not tinker, as I was a little under the weather. It sounds great to my ears so far, much better than previously. I have them both crossed at 40hz and integration at least listening to some tones shows a pretty even response, I just didnt pull the full rig out to test. I did see from about 80hz up to the XO point with the mains that I lost some so maybe there are some phase issues going on there that need to be addressed first and foremost.

I question for you DCX folks: Do you use the outboard XO and delay section or the input XO and delay section? right now I have both RE's on their own input and output, and the 4648's on a single in/out, but I may switch that up now that the RE's are front and center and the jbl's flank them.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #100 of 112 Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Bass Enabler

OmniMic v2.0 simply has a new usb jack and a couple little revisions like that along with the latest version of the software. The original is flat to 5hz.

I would do all the EQ, delay and other stuff on the output but I just can't think of why I'd need to do it at the input. *shrugs*

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #101 of 112 Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

It most certainly still is about that!!

Lol, just poking you.

My OM is the V2, just picked it up from PE last week and haven't even played with it besides the frequency response part. Still need to look at the other functions and see how the room looks. Like you said, I just wanted to get it running and enjoy this weekend. With the tune on the fly feature of the minidsp and the OM it was so easy to tweak and watch the results as I went.

(2) JTR Single 8 (wides)
(2) JTR Orbit Shifters

My theater:
post #102 of 112 Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OmniMic v2.0 simply has a new usb jack and a couple little revisions like that along with the latest version of the software. The original is flat to 5hz.
I would do all the EQ, delay and other stuff on the output but I just can't think of why I'd need to do it at the input. *shrugs*

Good to know, now just to figure out why I cant get readings below 12hz, even though a sine that low with the RSmeter reads similar output to directly above that area. It seems the output section has more options anyways, so more than likely Ill put the RE's back on a single in/out so adjustments take half the time, and then maybe just keep the JBL's on a single one too, unless you think having them on their own delays would be warranted. they still are less than 4 feet away from each other.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #103 of 112 Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Just took some screen shots from the minidsp. I did end up with some overlap in my crossovers with the OS going down to 24Hz and the sealed up to 30Hz. I have a 2 dB boost at 40 on the OS and then a pile of cuts to kill peaks. Just the low shelf filter and a couple small boosts on the sealed one.

(2) JTR Single 8 (wides)
(2) JTR Orbit Shifters

My theater:
post #104 of 112 Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Bass Enabler

If you have the outputs and don't think you'll confuse yourself, I say "why not?". Could possibly open up some flexibility if any is needed while doing any tinkering.

Not sure why you aren't getting readings that low. IIRC, you had a rolloff ~10hz. What is your signal chain? Still using the mic2200?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #105 of 112 Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have the outputs and don't think you'll confuse yourself, I say "why not?". Could possibly open up some flexibility if any is needed while doing any tinkering.
Not sure why you aren't getting readings that low. IIRC, you had a rolloff ~10hz. What is your signal chain? Still using the mic2200?

Nope, just the 4311, DCX, fp14k, same a Not' so shouldnt have that premature rolloff, unless i need some $20,000 interconnects.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #106 of 112 Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Bass Enabler

Lol, no thought I believe Not uses the MiniDSP and not the DCX.

Just wondering why you have a sudden rolloff below 10hz. Hmmm...

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #107 of 112 Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol, no thought I believe Not uses the MiniDSP and not the DCX.
Just wondering why you have a sudden rolloff below 10hz. Hmmm...

Its actually above, almost identical to the response from the LLT's so it makes me wonder too. They had a good reason to rolloff at 11hz, the RE's dont...

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #108 of 112 Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Call me crazy, but Ive been playing with the XO point between the JTR triple 12's and the 4648's and while I havent really tested with the mic, I feel like a 160hz XO sounds the absolute best. So far ive just been tinkering with the XO points still and have really only been able to allot a an hour at a time or so. Im not getting too far too fast but the temperature is starting to drop and that is when I really get into build/design mode. Kinda like the 24x36x66 slot ported monsters Ricci and I are discussion for the RE's. They would be my entire front stage from back wall to screen and side wall to side wall. Leaving me with a nice flat platform to put all the rest of the speakers on biggrin.gif Still unsure about that one tho.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #109 of 112 Old 09-19-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

GRAPHS!!!!!

That is the sub response with a pretty nice constriction on the graph 1/24th with Aud and Dyn EQ engaged

This is full band 1/6th response tested flat. I think I just decided that I have to have my sub system +10db's and that is all there is too it.

XO freq. is nice at 40hz and mixes well. The craziness around 120hz really isnt that bad with the graph constricted a lot more than most post, just saying. that is still close to +/- 5db's with that spike and even better than that the rest of the spectrum...

Honestly I like this response the best to my ears...

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #110 of 112 Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Lookin good Beast! Just for clarification you have 4) 2226h in use?
post #111 of 112 Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Lookin good Beast! Just for clarification you have 4) 2226h in use?

Yep, two 4648 ported cabinets, still ported.

I still have some messing to do, and that response is with absolutely no eqing going on in the dcx so I am pretty happy there. Last night was a quick bang up job that just somehow seemed to work, but I do want to spend a couple hours soon getting the REW rig going and looking at each sub's native response and where Audyssey decided to make changes, but looking at that graph, you cant even tell where they integrate (40hz), so that is nice. The bump I see at 120hz is interesting to me tho as I actually am still crossing to the mains at 150hz, so Ill have a little work bringing that small peak down. all in all I feel like it is a pretty good response, I just still find myself moving the subs hotter and hotter. They barely even sound like they are there with a flat response. 3db's hot is ok, but 6 or even 9 I like the best.

Think I should even try to do an LT with what I have now? Would that maybe help out why I am running hot or do I just need more displacement down low?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #112 of 112 Old 11-15-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SO just a quick update for those that were following and hopefully using a little of what I found for their own multi-sub installs. After getting the new mains and having to reincorporate everything all over again, it was getting increasingly difficult with audyssey only "seeing" the subs half the time, I chose to take a new direction. The problem was when audyssey tried to "sense" the RE's, the response was too low for it to sweep and pick them up properly. What I have ended up doing for the time being is just taking the JBL's out and running the RE's full sub-band until I rewire everything up so that SW1 output goes to DCX in A, and A splits between Left JBL and Left RE, and then sw2 out will go to DCX in B, for Right JBL and Right RE at which point I can EQ each pair of subs together, so they are mixed proper outside of Audyssey, but when Audyssey goes to calibrate, it will be able to pick each up without any issues. I am thinking this will just be an aweful lot easier than having to hassle with the way I had it previously. Even though I got a pretty killer response, overall, I can get back to that this way, and not have any audyssey pains in the middle.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page