Is a wooden platform for seating a legit idea to pick up tactile acoustic energy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I am reminded everytime I'm in a house with a wooden floor or a theater that is not in the basement how much a wooden floor rocks in that transmission of bass acoustic energy and tactile vibration. I LOVE that, but alas my theater room is in the basement on a tile covered concrete slab. I've thought about buying bass shakers but they feel artificial in the few implementations I've experienced them. If I built a wooden platform to put my theater seats on would that do much of anything? I don't really need my seats raised, but I'd consider it if I would get a worthwhile tactile improvement from it? The Captivators can shake my person and shake my room and chairs, but you have to turn them up to get there. If I had a wooden floor I know I'd get that sense of tactile response without turning everything up to reference levels.

Anyone with experience building a platform with this sole purpose in mind?

Is there concerns or possibility in tuning the platform/box to resonate at a certain frequency somehow?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's your theater, do what you will enjoy.

The span of the plywood will determine the resonant frequency. There was a great theater here in Toronto called the Uptown where they specifically tuned the seat platforms to ~40hz. Whenever movies had content around there the whole place shook. The main caveat is that it tends to sound the same after awhile.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 143
Have you considered putting the wood platform on the bass shakers? It may be a more natural feel since your feet would also feel it and there wouldn't be that unnatural disconnect of feeling the coach move but not the feet. Just a thought.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #4 of 6 Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 807
there was a thread where this was discussed some time ago. i forget where on avs. the bottom line was that it can work, but it has to be 'lossy'. if the platform is built rock solid, then it may not provide any additional tactile sensation.

your post is a really good one in that it raises the question of how much ultra low frequency stuff is air driven vs. vibrational/tactile driven. i've been in an all concrete structure during earthquakes and within 100 feet of dynamite blasting. neither were very loud (well, the earthquake wasn't audible at all), but both really shook the structure. even a passing harley or dumptruck are very tactile through the concrete floor. i suspect someday we will have a 0.2 channel that carries tactile effects, but until then, we are left with a variety of compromises.

experimenting with some bass shakers attached to a lossy platform and crossed over (low passed) at something like 20hz or lower might get rid of the fake feeling that you describe.

edit: now that i think about it a little more, a cheap accelerometer attached to the floor might be a good way of measuring what you are looking for. even when i was within 100 feet of dynamite blasting, the spl never read much above 70db on my ratshack spl meter even though the whole damb building was shaking violently.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Liked: 15
archea - i had the EXACT same quandry. Every time I'd go to my brother's house to test subs, I'd come home wishing my basement wasn't on a concrete slab.

I considered a platform, I considered butt-kickers.

The solution is actually much more simple IF you have multiple subs and room for it: place one sub nearfield immediately behind your seating, facing your seats.

I put my A7s-450 in that position, put the crossover on the amp at 50hz (anything higher is too localizable) and set it to run 6db quieter than the two subs I have up front next to my front mains. Those subs I crossed over around 150hz.

That setup allows me to enjoy the couch-shaking (and believe me, it is every bit as awesome as being on floor joists) effect without feeling like the bass is coming from behind me, I still get plenty of mid-bass slam from the front subs AND to top it off, the couch-shake effect is timed much tighter to the actual timing of the frequencies being played, so it's even more satisfying.

If you have circumstances that allow, give it a try.

Quit readin my signature ya stupid signature reader.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-02-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 394
My wooden platform for my back seats has much more tactile feel than my front seats which sit on a carpet over concrete. However, I like the bass better up front because it is just waves of bass hitting you and just sounds more natural than the riser platform.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page