MK MX-350MKII Subwoofer comparable.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw a link to subwoofer, thought, that sounds like a nice sub, dual 12's, 600 rms amp.. then saw MSRP of 2600$ and thought WTF?????

All kidding aside, what in the DIY world would be comparable?

They tout the "push pull design" as being paramount to the performance of this sub..

I think (maybe incorrectly) that there are many DIY options that would eat this sub alive.

What do you senior AVS members think about this?

thanks,
Jared

My first DIY project. A dual, dual opposed setup

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1345494
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 70
there are many many diy and ID offerings that would destroy that sub at that price point.

the submersive @ $2,295 + shipping (typ. $135-160 ground shipping cost) would decimate that sub.

captivator, chase ss-18.2 would be better as well.

In the diy realm, the f20, anarchy horn, and many many others come to mind.
Drexler likes this.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
"I saw a link to subwoofer, thought, that sounds like a nice sub, dual 12's, 600 rms amp.. then saw MSRP of 2600$ and thought WTF?????"

i've always liked the way that sub looks. $2600 is a little rich, especially today, for that level of performance. that sub was sold at retail, which includes two levels of profit markup (one by the retailer, one by the manufacturer) the push-pull design is to help linearize non-linear drivers and isn't really needed if you are using good drivers. the epic 12 would be a nice driver to use for such a build.

the challenge with diy is that sealed subs rolloff and so typically need some eq on the bottom end in order to produce a flat response. that requires power and moves the drivers quite a bit, either of which could damage the driver. enter the frequency dependent limiter. this is a protection device that recognizes when the system is pushed too hard and simply "limits" the amount of power and the amount of excursion. most diy folks don't use limiters though and choose instead to use an amp that will run out of power before damaging the driver from over excursion and just keep an eye on the clip light on the amp to ensure that the driver isn't being fried with direct current that comes out of clipping amps.

so to beat the performance of the mk sub in the same form factor, two of the epic 12" drivers, a professional rack amp with about 1000 watts per channel, and an eq device will set you back about $800 + the price of the enclosure.

btw, there are other designs that will get you more bang for the buck, but the enclosures tend to be larger.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Exactly. I think 1 f20 would trump that mk. However the enclosure is about 3x the size. I used to have a mk mx5000thx, and was easily able to outdo it with the chase ss18.2 I replaced it with.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34 View Post

I saw a link to subwoofer, thought, that sounds like a nice sub, dual 12's, 600 rms amp.. then saw MSRP of 2600$ and thought WTF?????

They tout the "push pull design" as being paramount to the performance of this sub..

I think (maybe incorrectly) that there are many DIY options that would eat this sub alive.

thanks,
Jared

I own that sub and it sits in my closet. I built my own sub(s) and I have much better bass for my largish room. However my build may not be normal. I have one Maelstrom 21" and 2 dual opposed MFW 15's.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I used to own a M&K MPS-5410 subwoofer. A 400 watt push/pull design akin to the M&K MX-5000THX home version. That sub was fantastic. Now that I have sold that sub, I am looking at JTR and Seaton subwoofers. If you are looking for a DIY sub, the LMS 5400 is a great 18" driver.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34 View Post

thanks,
Jared

Looks well overpriced to me.
From the pics I found, there doesn't seem to be much of a surround, so I'd guess less than 15mm of Xmax. An IXL18, EP amp and MiniDSP would likely exceed it in output. Make it a pair of IXL18 in push pull and you'll get the potential distortion reduction of even harmonic components and definitely exceed this in output. Probably for not much more than a thousand dollars and some time.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I had an M&K MX-250 and absolutely loved it. I have a buddy that has an HSU vtf-15 and the M&K sounded equal, in terms of sound quality. The M&K sub had a hell of a thump, and, would get down very low. I believe the M&K sub would go down a bit lower than an F-20. My M&K would hit 16hz in my small room.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

no doubt it would go lower then the f20, it's not designed for <20hz use. Sheer output though, I'd say they are very different.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"no doubt it would go lower then the f20, it's not designed for <20hz use. Sheer output though, I'd say they are very different."

so what you are saying is that there are tradeoffs? brilliant.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Being an MX-350 owner and having built a setup with multiple subs for less, I'd rather have my new setup than the mx-350 any day. There's no comparison in spl and frequencies reached. It's in the closet for a reason. So you can do better with DIY for less.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Look for old posts about M&K subs. It comes up all the time. I've never understood the fascination with their subs (past the late 70's and early 80's when they were one of the few choices for stand alone subs), especially given the price points. They are simple designs that are well-engineered, but nothing special.

JP
Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"I've never understood the fascination with their subs (past the late 70's and early 80's when they were one of the few choices for stand alone subs)..."

that is probably a big part of the fascination, as they were one of the first and that leads to nostalgia.

something however needs to be cleared up.

!!!M&K DID NOT INVENT THE FIRST SUBWOOFER!!!

the earliest system to employ a subwoofer, though admittedly a humble one, was the compass triphonic system in 1968.

now their 'subwoofer' probably produced less actually output than some of the system going back to the 1930's, but as far as i can find, it was the first company to consider the idea of a stand alone sub.

LL

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"I've never understood the fascination with their subs (past the late 70's and early 80's when they were one of the few choices for stand alone subs)..."

that is probably a big part of the fascination, as they were one of the first and that leads to nostalgia.

something however needs to be cleared up.

!!!M&K DID NOT INVENT THE FIRST SUBWOOFER!!!

the earliest system to employ a subwoofer, though admittedly a humble one, was the compass triphonic system in 1968.

now their 'subwoofer' probably produced less actually output than some of the system going back to the 1930's, but as far as i can find, it was the first company to consider the idea of a stand alone sub.

Good points, that is why I said "one of the first" component subwoofers

I also think their push-pull design was impressive to many consumers that did not understand the concept.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

oh, i wasn't pointing the finger at anybody here...

my comment was based on the repeated claims on the m&k website.

Listen. It's All Good.