Off topic: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions...GNR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
Perhaps I am showing my age here, but I flipped on HBO this afternoon and saw that GNR was being admitted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...but it didn't sound quite right to me...then I realized the lead singer is no longer Axel Rose.

The new guy sounds like arse. WTF??? So the band gets in the R&R hall of fame without the voice of the band?

Love him or hate him, Axel had a voice that was like a Ferrari engine at full throttle...his voice just screamed on every track with so much intensity from 'welcome to the jungle' to 'sweet child 'o mine'.

I know Axel and Slash had their probs, but together...they were GNR.

Talk about f'ing up a good thing...

Am I alone on this one?

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

Perhaps I am showing my age here, but I flipped on HBO this afternoon and saw that GNR was being admitted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...but it didn't sound quite right to me...then I realized the lead singer is no longer Axel Rose.

The new guy sounds like arse. WTF??? So the band gets in the R&R hall of fame without the voice of the band?

Love him or hate him, Axel had a voice that was like a Ferrari engine at full throttle...his voice just screamed on every track with so much intensity from 'welcome to the jungle' to 'sweet child 'o mine'.

I know Axel and Slash had their probs, but together...they were GNR.

Talk about f'ing up a good thing...

Am I alone on this one?

Axel refused to participate. While the band isn't the same without him, Axel couldn't put aside his idiocy for one night so what else could GnR do?

Axel acting like a tool. Let's all act surprised....
Old 05-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Liked: 10
No not alone. I am by no means an expert on all things GNR, but I think it is a matter of them being able to continue to tour. I'm sure there is an amount of money that could convince Axel to stand on stage w/the rest of the band, it's just not an amount anybody has been willing to pay so far. The new guy is serviceable I guess. IMO it really highlights how special Axel is.

I dug the chili peppers though, especially the end w/everybody on stabe together
Old 05-06-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i still remember the first time i heard welcome to the jungle on MTV ( back when they actually played music on that channel)...they single handedly killed off all that crap that was passing for rock and roll in the 80's.

and its Axl...not Axel.

Tim
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Axl has been touring under the name Guns n Roses (no other members are in the band he's touring with) for the past few months. The shows have supposedly been surprisingly very good. Sure, the band comes on very late (around 11:00 pm) but they play a very long set and Axl sounds good according to some friends that saw him here in KC.

It is pathetic that he can't show up for the induction, not much more to be said about that.

Off the off topic a bit, I heard a interview with the guitarist for Pearl Jam recently and he stated that some of the band members have talked about telling the hall of fame no if they get voted in until bands like KISS, Rush, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. get in.

AC/DC didn't even get in for a long time after they were eligible, that is all you need to know about how non-rock the rock n roll hall of fame is.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankramer View Post

No not alone. I am by no means an expert on all things GNR, but I think it is a matter of them being able to continue to tour. I'm sure there is an amount of money that could convince Axel to stand on stage w/the rest of the band, it's just not an amount anybody has been willing to pay so far. The new guy is serviceable I guess. IMO it really highlights how special Axel is.

I dug the chili peppers though, especially the end w/everybody on stabe together

The biggest problem with Axel-is whether or not he is actually going to show up for a gig.

As I have heard-there were quite a few concerts that were booked with him in the past-and he just simply didn't show up. The promotesr lost their asses.

Who would want to take a chance on somebody like that?

The concert game is a two way street (yes I was in it for some 25yrs). The promoter takes a chance that a particular act is going to draw enough people for them to be able to make money.

The artist has to have enough of a following so that the promoter thinks he can make money.

One without the other doesn't work.

See the movie "This is Spinal Tap"-for a comedic view of this whole scene.

There is a lot of money to be made-AND LOST-in the concert world. Reliability is a major component.

When egos get in the way-it is often headed for issues.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

i still remember the first time i heard welcome to the jungle on MTV ( back when they actually played music on that channel)...they single handedly killed off all that crap that was passing for rock and roll in the 80's.

and its Axl...not Axel.

Huh?? Unfortunately there was still tons of copy cat hair metal played constantly after Appetite came out (album came out in 87 I believe). It wasn't until Pearl Jam and Nirvana hit that hair was dead.

Loved, still do, Appetite for Destruction. However, it didn't have near the, "oh my god!!" impact that the video/song One did back in 88. I remember seeing the video for the first time and the VJ didn't know what to say after it was over other than, "uhhhh ok..... that was Metallica with a song called One...." with a horrified look on their face.

I know many Met fans hated the fact that they made a video but if they were going to do one that was the way to do it. Awesome.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Speaking of Iron Maiden, I will be going to see them next month.

James
Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

James

I was lucky enough to see them in the Sonisphere Festival in Italy this past year. They put on one heck of a show!!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

James

I'm jealous. Maiden are one of the only metal bands I love that I have never seen. For some reason they aren't EVER played on mid-west radio so naturally they never tour here.

It's really odd, KC's rock station plays Metallica, Priest, etc. but I have never ever ever heard a single Maiden song. Not even Run to the Hills. Weird.

Who is opening for them?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

I was lucky enough to see them in the Sonisphere Festival in Italy this past year. They put on one heck of a show!!

If they sound anything like their dvd/blu-ray concerts they must be amazing live. Bruce has the energy of a 22 year old.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Meh. I could care less. I was never a gnr fan. And the rock and roll half of fame will always ignore the truly influential musical groups and merely focus on ones that were force fed to the masses.

Axl is a tool and slash is about as over rated as one can get. And axl has been touring with a variety of musicians under the gnr banner for years (bucket head, bumble foot, etc) so its no surprise he didn't want to participate in this.

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

James

Seeing them in July. Third time too. I'm pumped!!!!

Though the best concert I have ever been to was judas priest on the Nostradamus tour. Halford was epic he was hitting all the crazy high notes from tunes like demonizer and pain killer.

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I am looking forward to it. Last time I saw them was on the Powerslave tour in high school. This time I am taking my daughter with me to see them. I also took her to the AC/DC Black Ice show when they came through.

Alice Cooper is opening for them. I have not seen him since I was in the Navy and he played some small joint in Memphis.

James
Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I had planned on seeing Judas when they came through but once I heard KK was not going on tour with them I decided to skip it. I did see them on the Turbo tour years and years ago.

James
Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Vai_rules View Post

And the rock and roll half of fame will always ignore the truly influential musical groups and merely focus on ones that were force fed to the masses.
Matt

So true. However, can you imagine what your reaction would have been in the 80's if someone told you Metallica would be a first ballot band? Yeah, I'm not a fan of anything after And Justice for All but it's still amazing how it all ended up. If you liked Metallica in the mid 80's you were a Lucifer worshiping psychopath.

It has to be pretty unique that their first 4 albums went many times platinum but not for many years after they were released.

I keep steering this towards Metallica, sorry guys I'll ease up.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The "Hall of Fame" is hardly.... They can go fly a kite AFIC...LOL

I hope Rush NEVER gets in so i can boycot them ( the HOF ) forever !!!!!

BTW, i often post OT because this is the best section in the AVS forum and you guys are tablesaw cowboys and i alway value all your opinions !!!!!

PEACE OUT .......KG
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1689
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

Perhaps I am showing my age here, but I flipped on HBO this afternoon and saw that GNR was being admitted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

They had three hits that I can recall. Hardly Hall of Fame caliber.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
the best part of axl's letter regarding the "hall of fame"

"I once bought a homeless woman a slice of pizza who yelled at me she wanted soup. We got her the soup. You can get your own."

:-)

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

If they sound anything like their dvd/blu-ray concerts they must be amazing live. Bruce has the energy of a 22 year old.

I saw them two years back and yep, Bruce amazed me how much energy that guy has. That is the difference between them and a lot of other acts is they didn't dabble too much or at all in the drugs/partying lifestyle, so they still have it together.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Then your memory is rusty. They had far more than 3 hits and they were extraordinarily influential on the new generation of rockers.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Huh?

Welcome to the Jungle
Paradise City
Sweet Child of Mine
Knockin' on Heavens Door (granted a cover but still a "hit")
Civil War
November Rain
You Could Be Mine
Patience
Live and Let Die (once again cover)
Don't cry

In addition, songs like Mr. Brownstone, Night Train, etc. are all still played in heavy rotation on rock radio.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_vai_rules View Post

meh. I could care less. I was never a gnr fan.

+1
Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Hits....

Many of my favorite bands have no "hits" and god willing never will.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Many of my favorite bands have no "hits" and god willing never will.

Haha, with you there - invariably when a band I like has a "hit", they start to pander to the theme of that hit, and lose touch with what I liked about them in the first place.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Sure I'll pile on...

I come from the school of: I'll respect (jk!) someone's opinion on music when they (really) listen to everything- or at LEAST everything within a given genre. I owned 1300+ CDs by the time I was 20 (who knows now!) so I think I can have a bit of an opinion.

Guns and Roses- in my view- is the most overrated band of the last 25 years. I could drone on as to why I think they are (overrated) but most of it is centered around their impeccable timing of being the "thing" when American rock n roll was arguably at its lowest valley since its start point. I realize this very fact also hopelessly endears them to some...go figure.

Now, outside of a handful of their work, their sound reeks of "hopelessly dated dad-rock" as much as the bands they displaced...and I actually respect a few of them a "hair" more, lol.

Rush? KISS? In the RnR HOF? I'd be flabbergasted if it happens in the next 30 years...at least until those figuring in the decision making process either die or forget how reprehensible the latter were and how astonishingly niche and uneven the former were. I don't even hate RUSH like most, btw.

Like it or not- as far as bands go- it largely takes the tried and true hit makers and/or those who truly instilled an irrefutable, consistent, mark of excellence within the genre.

And while I'd argue GnR never accomplished either (check those "hits" ...90% of them were on 1 1/2 albums: most people couldn't name
6 of their tunes) I also feel the Red Hot Chili Peppers are up there with the most under-appreciated (and certainly underrated) acts of the last 30 years so I'm glad they received a bit of recognition.

Rant over. Flame away.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Sure I'll pile on...

Guns and Roses- in my view- is the most overrated band of the last 25 years.

James

No, that distinction goes to Nirvana.

I have more to say (of course), but don't have time right now. I'll get back shortly.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

RHCP, underrated? underappreciated? Apparently you don't live in a major metro area and listen to any genre of a rock radio station. I live in Seattle, Portland, LA, Chicago, NYC and now Toronto and if 1/20 songs wasn't a RHCP song I don't know what was. Personally, I think they are the most overrated band in the last 20 years. BSSM was pretty ok...3 or 4 songs were ok, after that their stuff sucked the hind one IMHO.

With everything, music is personal. I don't think GNR were the best thing since sliced bread, in fact I like them more now then when I was a teenager and they were big.

Josh

Old 05-07-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post

RHCP, underrated? underappreciated? Apparently you don't live in a major metro area and listen to any genre of a rock radio station. I live in Seattle, Portland, LA, Chicago, NYC and now Toronto and if 1/20 songs wasn't a RHCP song I don't know what was. Personally, I think they are the most overrated band in the last 20 years. BSSM was pretty ok...3 or 4 songs were ok, after that their stuff sucked the hind one IMHO.

With everything, music is personal. I don't think GNR were the best thing since sliced bread, in fact I like them more now then when I was a teenager and they were big.

Josh

Right. They have a half dozen songs that get played on rock radio (perhaps a few more in some regions where peak-scans have determined they're more popular)...over a 30 year "career", mind you.

Another case though that most people couldn't name 2 of their LPs. Many hate the band and simply could never be bothered to actually listen to anything past the 2-3 singles they released every 3-4 years. Californication. By the Way. Stadium Arcadium (one of my personal favorite double albums ever) and their latest have all been released to widespread critical acclaim so many would disagree with you that they've "sucked the hind one" over the last 2 decades since that "one LP everyone 35 or older knows".

The best part: most people couldn't name 3 other bands still going (read still producing new music every 3/4 years and touring) from 1980.

And I've lived in 6 major metro areas...for whatever that's worth. Like most have learned over the last half decade though, there's MUCH better avenues (sonically and from a selection standpoint) to consume music than FM radio.

Virtually everything in the world can be reasoned "personal" and I have no problem viewing music similarly, but at some point you have to respect and acknowledge artists who you may not list amongst your top 100, lol.

Metallica, Jimi Hendrix, and Dylan are some of those for me. All have fantastic talent, influence, and a catalog that is without peer within their genre...but none of the three are something I find myself pursuing over many other interests. Still epic though and completely worthy of the HOF.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

RHCP had WAY more than 6 songs that got repeat air time, till the point of annoyance. If you like them, more power to you...till each their own. No dissing, if you like them you like them....no worries.

Personally, I hated Californication and all the songs that went repeat on radio from it. Ditto the latter albums and even the before ones. Mother's milk had a good cover of Stevie Wonder's tune, BSSM had 3 o 4 good tunes, after that, i wasn't a huge fan. But that is me.