Saw Avengers in new "RPX" theater. My Theater = Still Winning - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
When I went to a AT screen I had a major improvement in sound. My grand daughter even liked the effect better. She at 8 years old noticed the words were actually coming from their mouths not below them. (her quote) The speakers behind the screen were a step down in size, but the perceived quality of the sound behind the screen made up for the difference. I gained a lot of room moving from floor standing speakers to small book shelf speakers behind the screen. My surrounds were in wall, so that isn't a problem.

Alan in Boise

103 inch AT screen with 9.x playback. IB sub woofer system. Two manifolds with 2 15s and 2 12s. Line array with 2 15s. Running main channels with Minimus 7s. Have front wide and front hight and rear surrounds. Room is perfect size for smaller speakers like the Minimus speakers. Approx. 17x13x8. Tower speakers were taking up to much room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 10-02-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

I have never felt like a movie theater had any kind of subwoofer, not with any movie, for any length of time. Jordan's IMAX claims to have bass shakers, even, and if so, they don't use them. Last movie I saw there was Transformers, and it was the same as seeing at at the local Hoyts (whatever the heck they're called these days, anyway) except that the screen was annoyingly large (what's the point when you can't even SEE the whole screen? And my peripheral vision is NOT lacking.) and the chairs very slightly comfier.

I wonder where all these fabled theaters that actually have bass are. I could seriously build a $200 sub with a decent 8" driver and outdo every single movie theater I have ever been to. My AV15x w/ 500w DESTROYS theater bass; they are not even in the same universe.

If ur ever in the KC area check out the AMC Barrywoods 24 ETX theater. They installed a Dolby Atmos system in there with a 5 across the front setup as opposed to your usually LCR and it's all QSC speakers. There's 8 18in subs on the back ceiling alone. The bass in there when I viewed Brave at the Dolby Atmos demo was some of the best of heard in a cinema. More like a rock concert than a movie.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #33 of 40 Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AMC Tysons Corner 16 has both IMAX (3D) and ETX (The projection is HD digital with 3D).
I see 5 to 10 movies every month and a lot of them are in IMAX. I agreed that the sound was much better in the ETX Theater, NOT THE LOUDNESS BUT THE HI FIDELITY SOUND and this experience prove to me that sound is so very important to actions… it moves you (sometimes literally thanks to powerful speakers) in many, many ways. The bass from the movie could be heard through entire lobby like there was a club next door.
No more IMAX for me.
No wonder Imax’s stock has taken a dive since ETX theater’s opening.
post #34 of 40 Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 2737
I photographed the first RPX (which was in Times Square) for the architect who both designed it and came up with the specs. During the initial tests, they broke all the house lights (shattered the bulbs). The bass output of RPX cinemas is therefor artificially limited, both to avoid too much sound leakage into adjacent auditoriums and to avoid damaging the lights.

The IMAX spec for surround sound is rather limited, consisting of only two corner-placed speakers for the entire auditorium, compared to the full matrix found in RPX cinemas. IMAX has always suffered from the reality that there are about a dozen great seats in the entire auditorium where movies both sound and look good.

I agree it's all academic. My home theater evokes the exact same grin, knowing that it would be impossible for a theater to be either more comfortable or more immersive than my home theater. biggrin.gif

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #35 of 40 Old 10-09-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I photographed the first RPX (which was in Times Square) for the architect who both designed it and came up with the specs. During the initial tests, they broke all the house lights (shattered the bulbs). The bass output of RPX cinemas is therefor artificially limited, both to avoid too much sound leakage into adjacent auditoriums and to avoid damaging the lights.
The IMAX spec for surround sound is rather limited, consisting of only two corner-placed speakers for the entire auditorium, compared to the full matrix found in RPX cinemas. IMAX has always suffered from the reality that there are about a dozen great seats in the entire auditorium where movies both sound and look good.
I agree it's all academic. My home theater evokes the exact same grin, knowing that it would be impossible for a theater to be either more comfortable or more immersive than my home theater. biggrin.gif

Where in Time Square?
post #36 of 40 Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Right here: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=times+square+regal+cinemas&hl=en&ll=40.756961,-73.989154&spn=0.006753,0.016512&sll=40.757254,-73.989208&sspn=0.003377,0.008256&hq=regal+cinemas&hnear=Theater+District+-+Times+Square,+New+York&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.756914,-73.989045&panoid=Q_jCf46gc17Qcs5OQqojRw&cbp=12,21.07,,0,-8.54

They told me the only reason RPX even exists is that AMC had the IMAX exclusivity for Times Square and Regal wanted a way to have a similar 'premium' theater so they just made one up. Of course it's cheaper than paying IMAX for licensing so now AMC has their own ETX brand... even though both Regal and AMC still build IMAX theaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Where in Time Square?

post #37 of 40 Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Just a few weeks ago I photographed the latest RPX, the Shaq-Plex - Technically Shaq DX - in downtown Newark, NJ. Yes Shaq is from Newark which is the only explanation for this:

post #38 of 40 Old 10-09-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Right here: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=times+square+regal+cinemas&hl=en&ll=40.756961,-73.989154&spn=0.006753,0.016512&sll=40.757254,-73.989208&sspn=0.003377,0.008256&hq=regal+cinemas&hnear=Theater+District+-+Times+Square,+New+York&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.756914,-73.989045&panoid=Q_jCf46gc17Qcs5OQqojRw&cbp=12,21.07,,0,-8.54
They told me the only reason RPX even exists is that AMC had the IMAX exclusivity for Times Square and Regal wanted a way to have a similar 'premium' theater so they just made one up. Of course it's cheaper than paying IMAX for licensing so AMC has their own ETX brand... even though both Regal and AMC still build IMAX theaters.

Thanks, do they sound any good? I usually go to the IMAX in Albany which sounds pretty good for a cinema.
post #39 of 40 Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

I give that a qualified 'yes'. Relative to other theaters RPX sounds good, no doubt. SQ is half their justification for the increased ticket price - the other being digital projection on a calibrated, oversized, high-gain screen. Whether it actually sounds good still depends on the source, and it still can't compete with a high-end home theater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Thanks, do they sound any good? I usually go to the IMAX in Albany which sounds pretty good for a cinema.

post #40 of 40 Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I give that a qualified 'yes'. Relative to other theaters RPX sounds good, no doubt. SQ is half their justification for the increased ticket price - the other being digital projection on a calibrated, oversized, high-gain screen. Whether it actually sounds good still depends on the source, and it still can't compete with a high-end home theater.

Well, if it is as good or better than Imax at Albany I would be happy.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page