Saw Avengers in new "RPX" theater. My Theater = Still Winning - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 546
To get this out of the way, Avengers was INSANE!!! now on to the nitty gritty.

This was the unveiling of the new "RPX" sound and digital 3d cinema and I knew I would not watch it anywhere else. The surrounds were boasting "klipsch" Logo's so I anticipated great sound. Well, they played it loud and clear. My girlfriend almost scooted over when I told her I wish I had my RS meter to see if they were playing at reference but for the first time it certainly sounded like it At this point I was happy. I could hear the surround relatively well in wraparound scenes, and the lower frequencies shook the floor pretty good. But that was about all I could say about the experience. While there was a tactile "feel" at my feet, I didnt get it anywhere else really, and getting the rear surround feeling, I had to stretch to really "anticipate" it and then I could hear it pretty clearly.

With that said, this was the first movie I've thought was actually worth going to the theaters to see since Avatar so yes, it had been a while for me. Boy, am I glad ive been saving all that money and putting it into my own theater Not to take away from the "real" theater experience, because a crystal clear screen that big was awesome, but when it came to the sound, it came up lacking in areas still. I know this is to appeal to the masses, and for that reason Im not holding anything against anyone in the commercial installation area...I get it! This aint an arguement! It has been over 2 years since my last visit to the "real" theater and all the while I have constantly upgraded, and tweaked, and measured and tweaked, and sweeped, and...Ok you get the point. Bottom line, through this process my theater has become a new animal. It is like watching a puppy grow up, you dont notice how much bigger it is getting if you see it all day everyday, but if you go away for 3 weeks, and then see the pup again, you just cant belieive it. My theater I feel like did the same thing.

During my two years of constantly looking for more, sometime during that extended period, my theater surpassed the best (to my knowledge) commercial offering, and when it passed by, I'm sayin' dayum, like the commercial stuff was STANDING STILL!! haha. My dynamics are better, the staging is better, the LF isnt even on the same PLANET. I think I sat through that whole movie not only enjoying one of the best movies ive seen in a VERY long time, but smiling ear to ear because I knew when I got that disc home and fired up downstairs, that it would sound even better than what I was experiencing. This is just one happy guy that until recently had lost touch with reality chasing perfection, only to realize how far I have come in a couple of years!! Let's hope this feeling at least lasts a week.........Or until my Denon 4311 with xt32 comes in this week!! haha.

Sorry for the long rant, I just know many of you guys around here would appreciate it as your systems are as capable, and in many cases more capable than mine, and while my experience at the theater was a good one, it just has me counting down the days until I can give my setup and run at it, and I know I wont be dissappointed.

~BA

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Great post!
post #3 of 40 Old 05-07-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 403
What speakers do you own again? I know you have the 2 XXX subs but imagine putting those in that cinema, no bass and no midbass! The cinemas have lots of space to fill! We have such an advantage with our smaller rooms but it still takes more than we think to match my local IMAX! Yes, I do think I beat that Imax but I don't have your basic consumer gear either.
post #4 of 40 Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will have to agree for sure. I have been dissapointed in my local IMAX and normal theater. They look good (sometimes depends on which room your in) and they sound good. My biggest issue with them is just the people. The last few movies i've went to have been good but the people that talk, and be immature, and ec. God that ticks me off.....
post #5 of 40 Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I have a local (newly built) RPX theater near me. I would say I'm much more impressed with the SQ versus the PQ in these theaters. I just think they try to make the screen so large to impress people but forget how close people are still sitting.

You really shouldn't compare your home theater to consumer theaters. You need to realize that these theaters are calibrated for SEVERAL spots throughout the theater so you're never going to get staging that is anywhere close to perfect, like you can with your home theater that has a MUCH smaller sweet spot to calibrate the sound for.

Also, you need to take into consideration how large of a room you're trying to fill with bass. Unless they spend a lot of money, or their theater is relatively small, great bass response isn't happening.

The coolest, and best application of bass in a commercial theater was at my local IMAX. MKTheater was actually there with a small group of us that night. We saw Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and it was simply awesome in the bass department. The IMAX theater there is actually a normal sized stadium theater retrofitted with IMAX picture and sound which is a major reason why the bass response in that theater is amazing. I prefer my JTR Triple 8's for dialog compared to just about any commercial theater I've been in but my single Elemental Designs A7s-450 can in no way compete to what my local IMAX was offering that night!
post #6 of 40 Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus1095 View Post

I will have to agree for sure. I have been dissapointed in my local IMAX and normal theater. They look good (sometimes depends on which room your in) and they sound good. My biggest issue with them is just the people. The last few movies i've went to have been good but the people that talk, and be immature, and ec. God that ticks me off.....

The laughing out loud drives me crazy as everyone misses what is being said next because they are still laughing. I saw Avengers twice and I will let you guys in on a little secret, the smaller rooms have the better bass!! At least at my local cinema. IMAX still wins. I can't wait for it on bluray.
post #7 of 40 Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
^^ If you're in the area again we should check out another movie at the IMAX in Albany.
post #8 of 40 Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

^^ If you're in the area again we should check out another movie at the IMAX in Albany.

I will if I can get another person to go.
post #9 of 40 Old 05-08-2012, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Saw War Horse at my local TinselTown...underwhelmed to say the least, never mentioned it to anyone that i went to the movies to see it.

Bought the BluRay for my son, and after many request watched it in my HT. it was like i never saw it before......unreal, the whole thing from beginning to end....

Our rooms, when done right create an envelope that movie theaters cant come close to. Painstakenly paying attention to every watt, sweep, acoustic treatment, FR, LP, L/T, PEQ, shelf filters, 2.35:1, panamorphic lenses, Audyssey, black levels, XO's, XBL, decay plots, sweet spots, the list goes on and freakin on hahaha....

We are armchair warriors !!!!! Our rooms are unmatched !!!!

......and it seems every other day i get another tid bit from one of you Eggheads on where to look to make it even better, Rock on !!!!!!!

....and it looks like a bunch are from NY too !!!
post #10 of 40 Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

What speakers do you own again? I know you have the 2 XXX subs but imagine putting those in that cinema, no bass and no midbass! The cinemas have lots of space to fill! We have such an advantage with our smaller rooms but it still takes more than we think to match my local IMAX! Yes, I do think I beat that Imax but I don't have your basic consumer gear either.

JTR triple 12's with a t8 center, custom design coaxial surrounds so not your basic consumer gear here either ive also re-incorporated the two LLT's that I built a while back in with the XXX's and I have a denon 4311 on the way to use in conjunction with the SMS-1 I just picked up. I hope it was worth the upgrade, but I think it will be!!!

Quote:

Also, you need to take into consideration how large of a room you're trying to fill with bass. Unless they spend a lot of money, or their theater is relatively small, great bass response isn't happening.

I fully understand this, and respect the firepower needed just to get what they already are! I know the pains and hard work it has taken to get me where I am just in MY little room and I know I'm still far from done!! My entire point of the post is and was to shine on how much better a home theater experience can be with a little work and the right stuff

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #11 of 40 Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Good first post Beast. I've been to the "real" theater 1 time each of the last 4 years. And only because the wifey's a Twilight fan, otherwise I'll just save the $50 it'll cost for a couple to watch a movie and dump it into my own rig.
post #12 of 40 Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM

I prefer my THT and Tritrix home-built "theater" to anything, including Imax. The only reason I visit theaters any more is purely for screen size/impact and to spend some fun time with the kiddies. As soon as I go projector, even that will fade away. Sometimes I wonder whether or not my local theaters actually use a sub
post #13 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Some theaters don't. There is nothing forcing theater owners/operators to buy subwoofers. Unfortunately, the masses do not know the difference, as they usually listen to DVD/Blu from TV speakers or HTIB, so of course 45Hz extension from LCR in theater sounds 'awesome'.

The ticket buying masses drive the thing.

JSS
post #14 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I go to the theaters for new movies and for a night out. Unfortunately for me my theater is down so much, with me switching stuff, I go often. It is down right now! I need to do some building and less typing.
post #15 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 AM

Liked: 11
I've seen a few movies in the theater this year (moreso than in recent years), and I've been underwhelmed every single time as far as the sound goes. I always go to the same theater, and always sit in right about the same spot.

Avengers was the first movie I've seen in that theater that had sound as good or better than what I have at home (living room setup, nothing special, but a beautiful THT sub).

I don't know what sort of audio magic they worked on it, but I walked out of that theater really impressed by the sound presentation. It's almost as if every other movie I watched there was turned to '5', and they cranked Avengers up to '11'.

Chimpuat

post #16 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

JTR triple 12's with a t8 center, custom design coaxial surrounds so not your basic consumer gear here either ive also re-incorporated the two LLT's that I built a while back in with the XXX's and I have a denon 4311 on the way to use in conjunction with the SMS-1 I just picked up. I hope it was worth the upgrade, but I think it will be!!!

I fully understand this, and respect the firepower needed just to get what they already are! I know the pains and hard work it has taken to get me where I am just in MY little room and I know I'm still far from done!! My entire point of the post is and was to shine on how much better a home theater experience can be with a little work and the right stuff

Once you get XT32 with the 4311.... lets just say if you liked your setup before, you're going to notice an even bigger improvement. My 4311 upgrade was very apparent.
post #17 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never heard adequate bass in any theater setting - ever - including Jordan's Furniture IMAX. It does not surprise me when home setups sound better. Besides, the speakers they use in theaters are meant for volume/power handling more than quality (not that they always sound like garbage, but good home speakers sound better).

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #18 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I go to the theaters for new movies and for a night out. Unfortunately for me my theater is down so much, with me switching stuff, I go often. It is down right now! I need to do some building and less typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Once you get XT32 with the 4311.... lets just say if you liked your setup before, you're going to notice an even bigger improvement. My 4311 upgrade was very apparent.

Well I have a pile of gear to get in as soon as I get a chance now!!! The 4311 arrived yesterday, I still have the sms eq1 to also put in line, as well as pop some acoustic panels up behind the LCR speakers that have just been propped up since I got them. I also have to wire the tubatrons back up and decide whether im going to keep the rs40 or sell it with the new bulb I just got in and get a new PJ. at least I could get the "Sound" part taken care of with no problems It's gonna be a good weekend of work!

also, im hoping xt32 is all that ive heard it is!!! Ive liked xt on my 3311, but ive heard even from xt to xt32, the difference is pretty substantial.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #19 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Well I have a pile of gear to get in as soon as I get a chance now!!! The 4311 arrived yesterday, I still have the sms eq1 to also put in line, as well as pop some acoustic panels up behind the LCR speakers that have just been propped up since I got them. I also have to wire the tubatrons back up and decide whether im going to keep the rs40 or sell it with the new bulb I just got in and get a new PJ. at least I could get the "Sound" part taken care of with no problems It's gonna be a good weekend of work!

also, im hoping xt32 is all that ive heard it is!!! Ive liked xt on my 3311, but ive heard even from xt to xt32, the difference is pretty substantial.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of XT32 in comparison to your old set up!

I also saw Avengers at a local IMAX theater. I tried to pay attention to the sound and every once in awhile I would be cognizant of the "lack" of impact. I thought the movie was great in so many aspects that I didn't really hone in on the audio as much as I normally do.

Great movie for sure. I am going to add it to my collection without question.

post #20 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was there for four months while doing my AUX sub build/MiniDSP....

Glad to be back !!!!
post #21 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I also saw MI ghost protocol in the IMAX and I was really impressed by the lfe. Not saying it was unsurpassed but for such a large space I was shocked. It delivered truly concussive floor shaking bass.

Then I just saw avengers in a "normal" theater and I honestly don't think they had subs at all and it really took away from the movie for me. I can't wait to finish my theater and pop the avengers in to hear what I was missing.
post #22 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I also saw MI ghost protocol in the IMAX and I was really impressed by the lfe. Not saying it was unsurpassed but for such a large space I was shocked. It delivered truly concussive floor shaking bass.

I have never felt like a movie theater had any kind of subwoofer, not with any movie, for any length of time. Jordan's IMAX claims to have bass shakers, even, and if so, they don't use them. Last movie I saw there was Transformers, and it was the same as seeing at at the local Hoyts (whatever the heck they're called these days, anyway) except that the screen was annoyingly large (what's the point when you can't even SEE the whole screen? And my peripheral vision is NOT lacking.) and the chairs very slightly comfier.

I wonder where all these fabled theaters that actually have bass are. I could seriously build a $200 sub with a decent 8" driver and outdo every single movie theater I have ever been to. My AV15x w/ 500w DESTROYS theater bass; they are not even in the same universe.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #23 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 PM

Liked: 12
I live in the 3rd largest city in my state (Bowling Green, KY) and just wish I had a decent theater to go to. The last time I went to a theater was to see Iron Man 2 and I was severely disappointed in the audio. My little LG HTIB while not as loud, sounded better than the local theater. I have purposely been trying to avoid the Avengers movie until I can get it on blu-ray...
post #24 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I'm the opposite. I've not yet heard a home system that can match even my local AMC Imax. My guess is that there isn't an SOP or spec for these theaters so it really depends on the owners and the techs who set it up.

In my local AMC Imax, the Prometheus trailer has a bass strong enough to kick in my flight reflex. Every single time, when the bass in that trailer kicks in, I feel the need to get the hell out of that place.

Still, in terms of bass, nothing has ever come close to a good Chinese war drum demonstration. I remember my heart literally hurting watching a live presentation when I was a kid.

BTW, Avengers is awesome and hilarious.
post #25 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 PM

I have to drive an hour and a half to get to a decent theater. Sure there's a few within 20 minutes, but I might as well watch it on a TV using only the TV speakers. I just have a 3.1 setup and prefer it to most theaters.
Kind of makes me want to build a smallish theater like dutchswan and see what happens. I'm sure there's way more costs than I can think of, but I know I could build a better setup than most theaters. At least I'd enjoy watching movies in the theater then.....
Thanks BA for the comments. They were fun to read.
Sounds like I need to make a trip to the nice theater for this movie!
post #26 of 40 Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Beast... I'm trying to knock the snow clean off of this here mountain during movie-time (in the middle of summer no less), do you think it is possible to create an avalanche with bass?

For reference for everyone east of Colorado (i.e you eastern-ers/flat-landers) you all probably know about Mount Washington and Mount Mitchell, right?

Well.... the "top" of those mountains are the "base camp" level of my backyard.

This mountain is approximately 1/3 the height of Mount Everest, Tibet.
A bit taller than Mount Olympus, Greece.

Somehow, this is considered a "small" mountain around these parts; which blows even my mind away and I'm use to looking at them

Movie-Time & Avalanche-time at "sherpa"-TheHz residence

Unless you live near Alaska, you will not be driving near my place anytime soon, and doing so in the winter time is basically suicide
post #27 of 40 Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If I created an avalanche with bass, I would be quite concerned about sliding my house off the foundation, not so much a "flatlander" myself, but in the western NC mountains not too far from Mt Mitchell. I do my fair share of mountain viewing, actually everyday I do from my back porch, although nowhere close to the view you have! Ive done many a trip out west (I think my parents lied and I was actually BORN on a ski slope) for race and leisure activities! Grand Tetons are still my favorite, theres something about a resort that dumps you off at the top and basically tells you, "We dont care how you get down, just dont make us come find you!" Haha. Def. my type of riding.

Assuming even in the hot months your temp doesnt go above 60 degrees, maybe a little more, I dont know if Id ever go inside! haha

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #28 of 40 Old 09-28-2012, 02:33 PM

So, how did it go downstairs--are you still as happy as when you started the thread? biggrin.gif

I was looking forward to this release as well, though it was one of the top movies I've seen for fun factor, nothing harmful "for the kids" and would be great for showing off the home system! Unfortunately for me, my basement theater is quite a few laps behind yours; I checked out your pics and really like what you have going on--your space looks similar to what we have to work with, and what you've managed looks like a great goal for us. How are your surrounds working out? I anticipate needing to do a ceiling corner/downward angled setup as well, and our seating is the same with a couch on the floor, couch on a riser, and anticipated bar in the back. What are your room dimensions? Anyway, nice work!
post #29 of 40 Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, I now have moved to an A-T screen with some new custom surrounds that are exactly what you are talking about. They have a slight downward angle and are 10" coaxials with the selenium d220ti compression driver. Love them, and they are great for surround duty. After watching Avengers downstairs this week, I still know Ive got my local theater beat by a mile. It really makes me smile when I watch a flick and it all just sounds so crisp, clean, and dynamic!!!

My space is 11x29 and has a little bar area off one side that is only about 5x7 or so. SInce I did the A-T screen I have actually moved the couches and bar back a good bit, had to relocate the PJ as well to accomodate the larger screen, and have added acoustic panels front to back. I really need to get down there and take some new photos and create another signature link to what I call V2.0 theater...

Good luck with your theater, I love my setup and I can really pack the folks in when it comes time for a big sporting event or UFC fight smile.gif the layout is spot on for just about any situation!!

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #30 of 40 Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

AT screen has been my biggest improvement, along with CIH with a panamorphic lens....

Just sayin.....
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page