Our first DIY build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You can view my noob aggravation in this thread. What a world to take a crash course in...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1405146

Thanks for those with the patience to help out.

We had to make some changes because we ran into some problems. We had almost infinite space to build a box. It was going in a "cove" next to the fireplace which currently houses a computer and desk. So we planned on making a 12ft^3ish enclosure. Well, the tv didn't make it above the fireplace. I went to drill the first hole, and to my surprise there was 6 inches of plaster, then 4 inches of emptiness, and finally a brick chimney

I already was set on the dayton 15" HF. I know it ideally requires a huge box, but now it is going into a 2x2x2 cube (which would probably be better suited for the HO model). Still pretty big though, I hope it sounds ok. Internal volume is just under 6ft^3, and it's going to be tuned to 19hz. Because the box is small, we had to get a little crazy with the port design. 2 x 4" ports, 30" long. They're going to make a 90 turn upwards.

I'm curious about one thing though. Is there an effective way to plug the flared ports for music? I noticed that this internal size also models well sealed.

We already have all of the building supplies, and everything from parts express is on its way. Hopefully we will be building this weekend, we will of course post pics. Thank you for getting us this far, couldn't have done it without this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-09-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Also, I don't know if anyone has tried to put the HF model in a vented enclosure this small, but according to winisd it should be fine because of lengthy ports. I'm just not sure how it will sound. But if it does sound like garbage, I can just seal up the ports somehow and salvage the project.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page