AVS Forum banner

JBL Pro speakers advice wanted

23K views 113 replies 31 participants last post by  Mfusick 
#1 ·
I know this is probably not the right forum for this but I know a lot you guys who post here know a lot about the JBL pro speakers so I thought I would post it here as well.

What do you think of using the 4632 M/HF and 4639's for mains in a room that is going to be 17x25x10? I was originally going to go with new 3732's up front but I found a pretty good deal on some used 4632's and 4639's. I am just concerned they may not be the best speakers for my room.

I can get (3) 4632's and (3) 4639's along with (8) 8333's shipped to me for about $4,500. Do you think this is a good deal? Should I just buy new ones instead of taking a chance on used speakers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1410427/jbl-pro-speakers-advice-wanted/30#post_24646850

I have owned SEOS and JBL pro but not at the same time.

Dagnabit, I was hoping someone had done a comparo.

#57 ·
I never owned the 4722n's, I did own the 3622n, a DIY 3731, and the 4675C-LF. The 4722 has the same HF section I had with my 3731's and my 4675C's had the dual 2226's which are supposedly better than the dual 15's on the 4722's. The midbass and vocals were best on the 4675C's but the 3731 extended higher. The unities had more impact than my DR's in the midbass area as well so I am not sure which of the two, JBL or unity, is better there. If you are paying retail I would take the JBL's, if you are getting them close to the same price I would take the U215's. They are close either way and preference takes over. I compared several speakers to replace my JBL's and only the DR-250's were worthy at that time. I would have never sold them if I knew about swapping the giant 2360 horn for the 2380 horn and made a 4670D instead. It does not matter anymore because I like my DR's better anyways but I would never even cared to try with a horn swap. I would love to compare the 4670d or 4722 to my DR's to know for sure. Since I owned the JBL's I have learned so much from measuring and now EQing with the nano on the fly.

#59 ·
Yes the JBL's are much wider but in my room they also went deeper if that matters to anyone. As a matter of fact the JBL's could do reference to 20hz in my room and the U215's 40hz.

#60 ·
Thanks.

I think as long as they would do reference to the 50's it would be all I need. I have 4 PSA triax subs for the really low stuff in movies.

I will definitely do more research when the time comes to make a decision.

#61 ·
I crossed all if them at 80hz which resulted in the flattest response there. My DR's go to 60hz in my baffle wall or 100 hz without.

#62 ·
I built the QSC 2150 and I built the SEOS Tempest. The QSC 2150 is a close match to the JBL however the QSC has a midrange. They both share 15" drivers and a CD. Either speaker would be great for a home theater. Any distance less than 8 ft should use the SEOS build. The 2150's play louder and slightly brighter, increasing my volume to 40 on my Denon 4311CI the tempests disappear due to the 2150's drowning them out. At reference the 2150's are an easy win. I also noticed that having more drivers and additional on tap power is awesome during explosions and shooting scenes. The larger theater speakers really fill the room. I will NOT have any itch to upgrade speakers anytime soon if ever. I added 2 more 2150's as "Wides" but I used a single 12" woofer instead of two 15" woofers.
Turn it up and enjoy the show. :)

#63 ·
Can you tell us how the top end compared on the Tempest, 2150, and the JBL? Which had more detail & clarity? I would expect the Tempest would win those categories, but, I could be wrong.

What about vocals in movies? (not music) I would also expect the Tempest to win here as well due to it having a vetted compression driver than the QSC and JBL.

#65 ·
Can you purchase an OEM crossover from JBL? If you can buy that you can build your own... Just sayin... That's why I build the 2150's. DIY was WAY cheaper than buying retail. Being able to purchase the crossover was the biggest obstacle. I'll run more accurate tests this weekend Martycool007 but remember, the QSC's are Digital Cinema Speakers and built for that reason only. I'll post the results on a separate thread, this thread is concerning JBL speakers. I only posted my thoughts because the OP was curious about room size and which speakers to use. The JBL are pretty close the my QSC's. and we basically have the same dimensions.

#66 ·
Do you, or anyone else have any experience or opinions regarding the JBL-2435HPL versus the JBL-2446 and 2447?

My friend, Hank, has found a pair of 2446's for $250 and a pair of 2447's for $300. He wants to start with the best compression and add Be diaphragms. I was not sure which direction to advise him to go, (ie: 2435HPL, or 2446, or 2447). The 2435HPL is the most expensive of the bunch at over $500 each!

#72 ·
in addition to the physical separation of the drivers, the 'cohesiveness' depends on the crossover points, slopes, and the amount of delay. also, our height perception is less accurate at lower frequencies.

the crossover freq for the mid/top on the 4722N (passive network version) is around 800hz. the center to center spacing is about 2 feet (center of woofer to center of horn).
the crossover freq for the top/bottom on the 3731 is around 350hz. the center to center spacing is a little under 4 feet (center of woofer to center of horn).
so less than half the crossover frequency and less than twice the physical separation actually suggests the 3731 amy be more cohesive than the 4722n.

#75 ·
@notnyt having a hard time deciding on speakers. I see you have both 4722 and 3677. Considering 90% of movie content comes from the center and I would be using these speakers for HT. Do you find the 3677laking in anyway? I read a few places the roll off on them is rather low and they are "outdated" and not designed for digital music. Is that BS or anything you would actually notice by ear.

I can fit the 3677 in a baffle wall easily but the 4722 would be a larger project all together to get them to fit. Also price is a factor potentially.

#77 ·
I am thinking about getting three 4722 to put behind a screen that is 104" wide. Seeing as how the speakers are 30" wide each I would only have about 4" between then in the center and an inch on the left and ride side.

Is that to close together to get proper imagining? I sit about 14 feet away from the screen as well.

I have not got my screen yet, maybe I could get slightly bigger screen?

#85 ·
I am the same way, I am 99% HT and that includes 5.1 blu ray concerts. Personally not much of 2 channel guy and my 4722 are not that far apart as I wanted them all behind the AT screen.

#81 · (Edited)
Active with Crown DSi amps, plus I'm using the 2450-SL CD's. About to install a DRC88A.
OOOh, no go on the 3678... the folks over at Film- Tech (who have installed many of all types) do not like the 3678 and much prefer the 4677. Of course they prefer the QSC over both, but that's a different argument.

#90 ·
Not yet, though I am very tempted. I am have never owned "pro audio" amps nor have I ever actively bi-amped my speakers. With the DSI amps and the JBL pro speakers, it seems like such a natural fit that I am very tempted :)

#94 ·
When amateurs "go active DSP" with big CD/horns, one issue that keeps popping up: noise. It's one thing that active adds that passive does not. And if you don't manage the gain structures in the chain precisely (and sometimes even if you do), you will hear it. Even a non-digital active solution may exhibit noise just from the power amplifier stage, especially with Class D.

The attenuation used in passive networks to pad down the CDs also effectively lowers the audible noise floor. There is no real substitute for that in the active domain.

#95 ·
Great Point. But the DSi amp line is specifically made by Crown and branded as JBL screen array to work specifically with these speakers in active- and the active settings come loaded into the amp stock.

Which if there was a serious bonus it's that this is all done factory stock for you- and it's plug and play easy. Usually active can be complicated, you are right.

FYI- I have 4 of the Crown DSi amps and hooked straight up active to my DNA360 CD and SEOS 15" horns I don't have a problem with hiss. The amp and it's low noise floor is important if you run active, these amps are better than most considering how affordable they are.

#96 ·
The old 4675C-LF used dual 2226's. Maybe the 4670D did as well. Awesome speaker but I like my horn and CD better now. I would combine the bottom of the 4675 with the 4722 top but how much better would it be? Probably not worth all the trouble. The 2035 sounds great as well. To me the biggest difference is the ability of the CD to play most of the vocals and higher. Right now my top portion plays 400hz to 16khz and it is fantastic this way.

#97 ·
I'm using a dbx dr260 to active biamp jbl 4731x speakers , the improvement was substantial after switching from a analog 223xl. My speakers are listed on the unit as a preset and all I had to do was adjust the crossover gains. I am still on the lookout for one of the older jbl-bss units like the dsc260 to try on another system. Anyone on here tried the dsc260 ? How is the noise floor ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.