Sealed sub to compliment Tuba HT. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-17-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I will be enlarging my Living room home theater and want to add another subwoofer to compliment the Tuba HT. The actual dimensions of the room are still being figured out, but I do have some requirements that I am hoping you guys can help with. I plan on using a 4 cubic foot box from Erich. H once his company gets rolling on the flat packs. I will be making this into an end table with granite top and placing the woofer in a down firing position. I want to go with sealed to get the most low frequency extension. I have one channel of my behringer 2500 available for this build, so please keep that in my for power available. I am looking for something that I can "put the reigns to" in the Lower frequencies that the THT doesn't hit (below 16hertz) I am getting a new receiver with XT32, so integrating the new sealed sub with the Tuba HT should be of no concern with the glowing reviews I have heard recently with mixing matching different types of subs utilizing the XT32 calibration. I realize that I am not going to necessarily get a ton of ULF with a single sealed sub, but I would like to get down as low maybe 10hertz , use the power from the behringer amplifier that I have, and add some extra bass headroom with the room getting larger. I would love to hear a couple of different options, I would like to spend less than $500 on the driver. I've been trying to read up on similar sub requirements, but haven't found a similar build. If I am missing a similar build thread that is right up my alley please let me know the thread. I appreciate any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-17-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 524
one sub? xxx 18, UXL18, FTW21, or lms ultra 18.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
How about a different option than building an end table? Sounds like you're probably happy with the tht but want some subsonic stuff to fill in the low end. Why not just do shakers on the couch? For $500 you could outfit the couch with several of them and power them with the ep2500. Won't mess with the sound of the tht and give you the low end you want.

The single sealed idea paired with a horn sub isn't a great or easy idea. They're hard to get to work together correctly, you'll probably never hear the sealed one, especially when big dynamics are happening, and the placement of the sealed as an end table working with another sub can be difficult also.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

How about a different option than building an end table? Sounds like you're probably happy with the tht but want some subsonic stuff to fill in the low end. Why not just do shakers on the couch? For $500 you could outfit the couch with several of them and power them with the ep2500. Won't mess with the sound of the tht and give you the low end you want.

The single sealed idea paired with a horn sub isn't a great or easy idea. They're hard to get to work together correctly, you'll probably never hear the sealed one, especially when big dynamics are happening, and the placement of the sealed as an end table working with another sub can be difficult also.

I do already have shakers in each of my couches, hands down one of the best dollar for dollar investments one can make in a home theater! If I don't like how it integrates with the Tuba HT then I will simply sell it and call it a lesson learned.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-17-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

one sub? xxx 18, UXL18, FTW21, or lms ultra 18.

Thanks for all the options! I will chase down some specs and see what questions I have.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like the UXL 18 is the winner once price is taken into account. Any other comments about box size, will the 4 cu. box from Erich H be a good match? I did not see if the dual voice coils were 2 ohms each or 4 ohms?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page