Overnight sensations vs Classix II & 100W Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 05-25-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which speakers would do better with 75w (Denon AVR) or 100W (Sherwood amp). Both speakers are rated for much lower power. Listening will be done at moderate levels at most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 AM

it depends on what you will be listening too. the overnite sensations are voiced for clearer midrange for dialog in a HT system. the classix II are great for getting really low they will hit 34 hz at f3, and are voiced for rock,metal,country,R&B. I"m building the classix II because I listen to rock and blues. If your going to listen too jazz and classical or want to use for a HT system the overnight sensations would be better.
post #3 of 33 Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 453
There's a really nice speaker coming out soon from the same designer. You might want to wait a week or so.
post #4 of 33 Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

There's a really nice speaker coming out soon from the same designer. You might want to wait a week or so.

These will come out on the diysoundgroup site in a week or so?
post #5 of 33 Old 05-25-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The flat packs are already done. He's got the crossover done but said he wanted to tweak them just a little bit more to be sure. I'm guessing around a week.
post #6 of 33 Old 05-25-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
How will this new design compare size-wise to the OS?
post #7 of 33 Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Will any of these outperform the Polk Audio RTi6 ?
post #8 of 33 Old 05-26-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The one he's nearly done with should outperform those Polks. He's a great speaker designer and even he was surprised at just how nice they sounded......and he wasn't done tweaking them yet. So they should be very nice.

alphaiii, they are in a .5 cu ft enclosure.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-pa...flat-pack.html

There's a smaller speaker design coming as well in kit form. The New Horizons. About the size of the Overnights, but a little narrower. Honestly, there's a lot in the works, but no reason to wait for months to see what is actually on the way because new DIY models will continue to pop up all the time.
post #9 of 33 Old 05-28-2012, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There's a smaller speaker design coming as well in kit form. The New Horizons. About the size of the Overnights, but a little narrower. Honestly, there's a lot in the works, but no reason to wait for months to see what is actually on the way because new DIY models will continue to pop up all the time.

Any idea when the New Horizons will be available?
post #10 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I'm familiar with that design, but wrote it off since I don't have the tools to build cabinets.

Glad to see flat packs will be available. Rough ETA on these?
post #11 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is "neither" a valid option? I'd rather one of the Scan Speak or Seas options from Zaph if I were going with a proven design. e.g. the SR-71 (I'd mention the Scan Speak options specifically but I assume those are too expensive - they will be a little bit better than the Seas stuff). http://zaphaudio.com/

Otherwise, I'd probably go with the Overnight Sensations. I would expect the B4Ns to perform better than the 'meh' cheapie Dayton in the Classix II. My front speakers are actually custom MTMW's using Hi-Vi M4Ns for the midrange, and I love the M4N for it. They are very competitive with other 4" drivers in distortion in the range that I use it in. The B4N should be good too. I feel that the Overnight Sensations would especially absolutely require a subwoofer, though. I'd still recommend one for the Classix II, but it'd be less important.

I personally have no interest in any Dayton speakers that aren't in the Reference line. They're far from the worst speakers out there, but I still don't think they're good enough. A good crossover and box design can certainly maximize their potential, but better speakers (drivers) have more potential as well, I feel. You may feel they're good enough. I dunno. Just my $.02...

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #12 of 33 Old 05-30-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

Is "neither" a valid option? I'd rather one of the Scan Speak or Seas options from Zaph if I were going with a proven design. e.g. the SR-71 (I'd mention the Scan Speak options specifically but I assume those are too expensive - they will be a little bit better than the Seas stuff). http://zaphaudio.com/

Otherwise, I'd probably go with the Overnight Sensations. I would expect the B4Ns to perform better than the 'meh' cheapie Dayton in the Classix II. My front speakers are actually custom MTMW's using Hi-Vi M4Ns for the midrange, and I love the M4N for it. They are very competitive with other 4" drivers in distortion in the range that I use it in. The B4N should be good too. I feel that the Overnight Sensations would especially absolutely require a subwoofer, though. I'd still recommend one for the Classix II, but it'd be less important.

I personally have no interest in any Dayton speakers that aren't in the Reference line. They're far from the worst speakers out there, but I still don't think they're good enough. A good crossover and box design can certainly maximize their potential, but better speakers (drivers) have more potential as well, I feel. You may feel they're good enough. I dunno. Just my $.02...

You're input is appreciated. I have read, though, that the M4n is superior to the B4n, for what that's worth.
post #13 of 33 Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:

The one he's nearly done with should outperform those Polks. He's a great speaker designer and even he was surprised at just how nice they sounded......and he wasn't done tweaking them yet. So they should be very nice.

I am just getting into DIY speaker building, because I like both the technical and aesthetic aspects of the hobby. I know that some do it to save money, but I just want to build beautiful things that sound good. However, I don't have a frame of reference for how one DIY build would sound next to a commercial product.

I'm intrigued by this new design coming out. I've considered building Paul's Swope system, but the center channel is too big for my home theater built-in (the spot for the center barely holds a Polk Monitor CS1). However, the new MMTMM Overnight Sensations center channel would work because it's low and wide. I could set in on top of the TV shelf right in front of my Mits rear projection.

So I was thinking of building the Overnight Sensations MMTMM center, MTM fronts and the MTMT dipole surrounds. How would that compare to my current Polk Monitor series set-up: CS1 center, M40 left/right, M30 rear?

Scott
post #14 of 33 Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Any updates on this?
post #15 of 33 Old 06-08-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, he sent me the list for the crossover parts last night. I think the price for these will come in just slightly higher than the Overnight Sensation MTM models by a couple dollars. But these are going to be very impressive speakers.

I have to go up to Parts Express tomorrow, so I will be picking up some parts while there.
post #16 of 33 Old 06-08-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Actually, he sent me the list for the crossover parts last night. I think the price for these will come in just slightly higher than the Overnight Sensation MTM models by a couple dollars. But these are going to be very impressive speakers.
I have to go up to Parts Express tomorrow, so I will be picking up some parts while there.

It sounds like these will be available as speaker kits, right?

Are these Paul Carmody designed speakers?

Do they have a name?

And finally, and most importantly, issues of patience aside, when will these be available? tongue.gif
post #17 of 33 Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, they will be available as kits.

Yes, Paul Carmody did the design and he's very impressed with their sound.

They do have a name, but he just mentioned it to me a couple days ago, so I'm going to ask him again if he's 100% sure on that name.

I have to go to PE tomorrow to pick up some parts for the OS speakers. So I'll probably buy some of the components for these new speakers as well.

They will be using a 7" woofer.
post #18 of 33 Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM

Any update on the name of this new design?
post #19 of 33 Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got all the information, but the designer hasn't started a thread yet to talk about it. It seems like I should let him be the first to mention it.
post #20 of 33 Old 06-13-2012, 07:41 PM

Yeah, that's understandable. I'm just curious as to the actual design as my gym's setup is killing me every time I'm in there. tongue.gif
post #21 of 33 Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Trying hard to be patient.. but one week has turned into 3.

Any idea when the complete speaker kit will be available?

(I know you're busy with real work and the SEOS stuff)
post #22 of 33 Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subjga View Post

Trying hard to be patient.. but one week has turned into 3.
Any idea when the complete speaker kit will be available?
(I know you're busy with real work and the SEOS stuff)

It's really got nothing to do with me or how busy I am on other stuff. The flat packs were cut about 2-3 months ago. I think I've got 4 pallets of different speaker flat packs "in waiting". I'm not sure why he hasn't started a thread to talk about them yet. Maybe he wants to tweak them a little, or he could just be busy.

I'll send him an email to see if it's okay to give more information. It just doesn't seem right for me to give details for a design that someone else spent a lot of time on, or steal his thunder so to speak.

A lot of the stuff I help with follows the schedules of other DIY guys that aren't quite as nuts as I am. wink.gif Once all details are worked out, then I do my best to get them out there.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Soo...
What did he say? tongue.gif
Quote:

It's really got nothing to do with me or how busy I am on other stuff. The flat packs were cut about 2-3 months ago. I think I've got 4 pallets of different speaker flat packs "in waiting". I'm not sure why he hasn't started a thread to talk about them yet. Maybe he wants to tweak them a little, or he could just be busy.
I'll send him an email to see if it's okay to give more information. It just doesn't seem right for me to give details for a design that someone else spent a lot of time on, or steal his thunder so to speak.
A lot of the stuff I help with follows the schedules of other DIY guys that aren't quite as nuts as I am. wink.gif Once all details are worked out, then I do my best to get them out there.
post #24 of 33 Old 06-24-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, it's been a month now.
Really, are there any updates?
post #25 of 33 Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I can tell you that they're going to be called the Hitmakers, but I haven't seen him start a thread on the PE forum or his site yet. I've got the crossover layout, but I'll need to ask him if he's 100% satisfied with them and if they can be sold.

Paul's a really good guy, but I'm sure he's pretty busy too. Things don't happen as fast when it's all done as community service in our spare time. wink.gif
post #26 of 33 Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hey that's great news! Thanks for the update!
Quote:

I can tell you that they're going to be called the Hitmakers, but I haven't seen him start a thread on the PE forum or his site yet. I've got the crossover layout, but I'll need to ask him if he's 100% satisfied with them and if they can be sold.
Paul's a really good guy, but I'm sure he's pretty busy too. Things don't happen as fast when it's all done as community service in our spare time. wink.gif
post #27 of 33 Old 07-13-2012, 07:37 AM

Any idea if the new design 'Hitmakers' is out yet? Thanks
post #28 of 33 Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Paul said he should have his write up done by this weekend. Then I will go ahead and get the kits packaged up.
post #29 of 33 Old 07-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Paul said he should have his write up done by this weekend. Then I will go ahead and get the kits packaged up.[/quote

paul posted in another forum that his wright up on the hitmakers will be done tomorrow. I really want to read about this one, I can't wait.
post #30 of 33 Old 07-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Erich has a listing up for the Hitmakers up on DIYsoundgroup.com but he's still working on a price - still no writeup on Paul's page yet.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page