Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Components:
AE TD12M
Beyma CP380M
SEOS 12 Waveguide

The TD12M is going to be in 1.25 cuFT cabinet tuned to 60 HZ.

So, The parts for this project have been sitting in my closet for almost two years. I originally planned on going active with this design. Unfortunately, I do not have the time. So, I contacted Rick Craig from Selah Audio and he will be designing the passive crossover for me. I will be mailing him a test enclosure with all the drivers. Rick has been a pleasure to work with and has answered any questions I have had, even though I am yet to send him any money as of yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-29-2012, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have to wait for the waveguides to arrive, but I have started the test enclosure. This will be tossed out once the crossovers are completed. I just used what I had laying around so it is a mixture of MDF and plywood. I am going with a curved cabinet.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #3 of 22 Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 915
great components and great enclosure design choice.

it will certainly be interesting to see what rick cooks up for a crossover.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #4 of 22 Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have my first question already. I am trying to figure out what size port to go with in WinISD.

Whats the lowest I would want the first port resonance to be....figuring the TD12M will be crossed somewhere around 1200 hz?

Also, what do you guys think is the highest air port velocity I can get away with it?
post #5 of 22 Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 915
"Whats the lowest I would want the first port resonance to be....figuring the TD12M will be crossed somewhere around 1200 hz?"

for all practical purposes the resonance of the port in a main will be completely masked. by the time that the air velocity in the port is making any noise that you will hear, the main will be blasting out over 100db spl. if it makes you feel good, the port on parham's 4pi is 3.5" x 6" and in his cab that puts the first resonance right in the middle of the passband for the woofer, with nairy a complaint about resonance.

7-16 sq. inches of port area for a 12" driver is common, however you want to divy it up (1 x 3" round, 3"x3" square, 1x4" round, etc.).

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for quick answers LTD. I am sure I am going to have a ton more. I am by no means a speaker expert but I was a carpenter for 15 years so I can trade you guys some enclosure building tips for speaker advice. I am just throwing this test enclosure real quick. When I start building the final product in a couple of weeks...... I will do a thorough step by step with pics.

My next dilemma is the center channel. I would love to do an identical center but the TD12M seems to be next to impossible to get. I am wondering if I should build the center cabinet now so all the materials and finish match exactly and then just hope they come back in stock in the future.

If I don't build it now, I will probably move on to building my subs and the center will never get done, plus I am going to need Rick do the crossover anyway, so I might as well get it done now.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Grits View Post

I would love to do an identical center but the TD12M seems to be next to impossible to get. I am wondering if I should build the center cabinet now so all the materials and finish match exactly and then just hope they come back in stock in the future.

I bet they'll be easy to come by when the group buy stuff finally hits, my guess is that a lot of group buy guys will have moved on to available drivers by then.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-04-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The test enclosure is pretty much complete. I just have to wait for the waveguides from Erich to make the cut out. I also have to drill out for the port.

Its almost a shame to throw this enclosure out.

post #9 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Liked: 17
Awesome looking enclosure, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs and hopefully Rick can provide some measurement data you could share with us too. biggrin.gif

With that particular box size, driver displacement (both 12" driver plus waveguide and cd) will have a greater effect on the final internal volume. Simon on AE forums mentioned .1 ft^3 as a safe estimate for the 12" drivers; he's spot with that estimate with magnet size (1.5L) plus basket etc. With your tuning and extension requirements it probably doesn't matter, but thought I'd mention it.

What are you going to do for the port? Looks like a round 4" port @ 4.5" in length has 1st port resonance of ~1.5kHz, but I’d be interested in hearing what others have to say. For my project, a fellow avs'er mentioned making the port longer and cutting it down closer to calculated size during testing. Seems like sound advice to me...

I'll be doing a very similar enclosure so it's nice to see someone utilizing this particular driver (I think you might be the first with the TD12M and SEOS, which is cool). I can't believe you've had those beauties in the closet for two years!

-Nate
post #10 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes I always provide measurements (vertical / horizontal response) plus impedance.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #11 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotbunny View Post

With that particular box size, driver displacement (both 12" driver plus waveguide and cd) will have a greater effect on the final internal volume. Simon on AE forums mentioned .1 ft^3 as a safe estimate for the 12" drivers; he's spot with that estimate with magnet size (1.5L) plus basket etc. With your tuning and extension requirements it probably doesn't matter, but thought I'd mention it.

The cd and woofer are in separate compartments. There is a shelf right above the woofer. The volume of the td12m section is around 1.45 cuFT before the port, driver, etc.

Quote:
What are you going to do for the port?

I was going to do a 3" port. Thinking about putting it in the back but then i cant flare it. or maybe putting it under the woofer. I may not have left enough room tho. I could put it on the side on this box and move the woofer up on the real enclosure. I am going to get the woofer and horn closer also.

Quote:
I can't believe you've had those beauties in the closet for two years!

Tell me about it. I had big plans of going active, testing and measuring, then work got in the way. I am sure Rick will come up with something countless times better than I would. Although I was looking forward to a rack filled with amps and crossovers.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cool cabinet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Grits View Post

I was going to do a 3" port. Thinking about putting it in the back but then i cant flare it. or maybe putting it under the woofer. I may not have left enough room tho. I could put it on the side on this box and move the woofer up on the real enclosure. I am going to get the woofer and horn closer also.

Just an idea: how about putting the port on the top, with the port tube running through the upper chamber (but with the chambers themselves still isolated from each other)?

-Max
post #13 of 22 Old 06-07-2012, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper View Post

Cool cabinet.
Just an idea: how about putting the port on the top, with the port tube running through the upper chamber (but with the chambers themselves still isolated from each other)?
-Max

I thought about that. Think I have too many nieces and nephews who would be too tempted to throw stuff down the port.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

while i've been waiting for the waveguides to arrive, Ive been thinking bout what subs I am going to build to go with these, I dont really have a budget.

I am planning on at least 2 up front and possibly two more at a later date.(I had two placed up front by my mains, and they measured well there)

For the subs up front, I do not need to go super low. I think 17 - 18 hz will be fine. I want to have the option of crossing at 120 hz. to my mains.

I was thinking 2 sealed LMS Ultras, but I will have to run a 20 amp line to power them.

or maybe 2 Aura NS18s or 2 AV15 if they become available ever again or maybe TD18s.

What do you guys think?
post #15 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anybody? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Too hot outside today to finish up this test box.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

while i've been waiting for the waveguides to arrive, Ive been thinking bout what subs I am going to build to go with these, I dont really have a budget.
I am planning on at least 2 up front and possibly two more at a later date.(I had two placed up front by my mains, and they measured well there)
For the subs up front, I do not need to go super low. I think 17 - 18 hz will be fine. I want to have the option of crossing at 120 hz. to my mains.
I was thinking 2 sealed LMS Ultras, but I will have to run a 20 amp line to power them.
or maybe 2 Aura NS18s or 2 AV15 if they become available ever again or maybe TD18s.
What do you guys think?

why dont u want to go super low ?
post #17 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post

why dont u want to go super low ?

I would love for them to reach single digits as long as I'm not losing out from 20 and up.

I was thinking of maybe having two pro audio subs in the front tuned to 25 - 30 hz.

And two sealed or low tuned subs in the back to cover the super low frequencies for movies.

I want a lot of mid bass punch up front with the mains.
post #18 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I would love for them to reach single digits as long as I'm not losing out from 20 and up.
I was thinking of maybe having two pro audio subs in the front tuned to 25 - 30 hz.
And two sealed or low tuned subs in the back to cover the super low frequencies for movies.
I want a lot of mid bass punch up front with the mains.

how big a room ?
post #19 of 22 Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

24' x 15' completely open to a kitchen that is a little smaller than that. The ceiling is about 15'.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess what I am looking to do is a bass bin for the mains and then 2 subs placed in the rear of the room to cover the super low frequencies.

Do you think is a good approach or a waste?
post #21 of 22 Old 08-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anything new on this build? Finally got my TD12M's so I am going to start building. Just curious how this ended up.
post #22 of 22 Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 AM

Liked: 24
Just found this thread and it perked my interest... How are they treating you Hot Grits?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page