Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I think I will call this the Infinity RS HO-No's

4.5 *edit* don't ask me what I was thinking: 3 Cubic foot sealed (before bracing). Amp will be a Berhinger iNuke 3000DSP.

Some observations about the driver:

1. Extremely stiff cone. The rubber surround looks like it is wrapped under itself (no flat lip) to stiffen up the suspension.

2. Really neat trick they did with the cone (see pic). As the cone meets the surround they have it folded over (think ^ shape). IMO that adds a great deal of rigidity and stability

3. Though the basket is stamped it is coated in what looks like a zinc bath. The hole edges are folded for rigidity and were the basket meets the magnet and spider it is vented. Everything about this speaker speaks to rigidity and stiffness.

4. Vented pole piece

Infinity has seemingly brought a lot of technology to this budget woofer.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Subscribed. I've been trying to come up with a reason to buy a couple of those to play with. They look like great drivers for the ridiculously low price.

What is the intended use for these?

PS - love the sig!
post #3 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 View Post

Subscribed. I've been trying to come up with a reason to buy a couple of those to play with. They look like great drivers for the ridiculously low price.

What is the intended use for these?

PS - love the sig!

Bass Actually they are well suited to either music or HT.

Estimates put the F10 at 20Hz at 103dB not taking into account room gain at 700 watts. This is un-eq'd.

It's a sealed design so it should make the music people happy, it has a considerable amount of output even at 20Hz and down into the high teens so it should make the HT people happy.

Considering it's design the cabinet is small so it should make the wife happy.

Considering it really only needs a Behringer iNuke 1000DSP bridged it should make the budget happy.

I'm using the 3000DSP just because I plan on cutting a 2nd box at the same time. So if you are budget minded I have seen the drivers for $46 shipped Amazon prime ($92) and the Behringer iNuke 1000DSP for $245 after coupon at Guitar Center. For less than $400 it is shaping up to be an incredible value.

post #4 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

Lol well yeah!

Quote:

Estimates put the F10 at 20Hz at 113dB not taking into account room gain at 700 watts. This is un-eq'd.

Odd, I wonder what I've got messed up. I was modeling this before I posted and get a similar F10 at 22.69Hz but with 700W I'm showing only 105dB at 20hz Was the 113dB for the final product of 4 of these with 1400W? That would line up much closer (in fact it's almost exact if I use the F10 frequency of 22.69hz, 4 drivers and 1400W shows 113.393dB). Either way it's respectable I just want to make sure I don't have something majorly messed up Note, in my model the drivers are over XMax at 20hz by 3.5mm also (probably would be fine though). I pulled the parameters from this PDF linked off of the Crutchfield site, page 6:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...8/1081262W.PDF

On a side note I think I heard a pair of these in a mini van last weekend at my wife's family reunion. Her cousin's boyfriend was at our house recently when I was showing off my HT setup. I was telling him how I'd like to mess with a car sub some time to try to get maximum output at a single frequency by measuring a sealed sub then building a ported box tuned to match the car's transfer function so he was all excited to show me the subs in his van. Whatever they were they put out a lot of SPL and sounded fine but the guy totally clueless. I asked what kind of subs he had and he just said Infinity. When I mentioned 1260/1262's he gave me the blankest stare I've ever seen. He had no clue what the box was tuned to either nor did he have any grasp on what his amp settings were or what they meant lol. When he turned it on the subs were set at least 40dB hot which I mentioned didn't sound right. So he went back and messed with the amp - it got much better. I asked him what he had done and he said he turned the knobs. He said one was all the way to the left so he turned it to the right some and another was all the way to the right so he turned it left some lol. He said it sounded good now so he'd make sure nobody touched it! I knew the guy wasn't the brightest bulb but holy crap I can't imagine being so clueless about something like that which you've spent your hard earned money on
post #5 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the model for the 1260's the 1262 should net another 3-4dB I believe. From 80Hz the F10 of 100dB is 22hz for the 1260. So F12 of 97dB would be 20hz. The 1262 wired 2 ohm would be + 3db individually. Keep in mind I am modeling this in a 3 cubic foot enclosure. Not the boxes Infinity has in their manual.

**Edit** Sorry, this should be 3 CuFt sealed box. Been playing around with the Kappa and the Reference in vented boxes (4.5 CuFt). Updated the PDF.

Dual Opposed Sealed_80Liter.pdf 60.4990234375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dual Opposed Sealed_80Liter.pdf (60.5 KB, 158 views)

post #6 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is the model for the 1260's the 1262 should net another 6dB I believe.

Hmm, that doesn't sound right to me . Isn't the only difference that the 1260 is single voice coil and the 1262 is dual? They both have 13mm xmax and are xmax limited at 20hz so one shouldn't be putting out more SPL than the other really (same size cone moving the same distance).

Note, I was also modeling in 4.5cuft ~ 126l

The +6dB would make sense for why we match up with 4 drivers though, that's exactly what you get doubling drivers and power

Edit, added images to show my work
LL
LL
LL
post #7 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 View Post

Hmm, that doesn't sound right to me . Isn't the only difference that the 1260 is single voice coil and the 1262 is dual? They both have 13mm xmax and are xmax limited at 20hz so one shouldn't be putting out more SPL than the other really (same size cone moving the same distance).

Note, I was also modeling in 4.5cuft ~ 126l

The +6dB would make sense for why we match up with 4 drivers though, that's exactly what you get doubling drivers and power

Edit, added images to show my work

I'll have to plug in the 1262w into Bassbox and see. Edit: Yep, just another 3dB with the 1262. So 109 at 20Hz. Still not shabby given the price.

post #8 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll have to plug in the 1262w into Bassbox and see. Edit: Yep, just another 3dB with the 1262. So 109 at 20Hz. Still not shabby given the price.

Absolutely. I hope you didn't think I was trying to crap on your project - absolutely not I suspect the remaining differences in the models are due to different assumptions being made by Bassbox vs WinISD.

Bonus regarding that enclosure size, it works pretty decent for a ported alignment should you get the itch to try it out. Graphs attached tuned to 25hz (although the port length would be prohibitive if using the 6" that would be required to minimize compression/chuffing). Excursion is good down to 20hz - actually it never goes over above that either with the 700w.
LL
LL
LL
post #9 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
"Odd, I wonder what I've got messed up."

you are on the right track. take a look at the tab marked "maximum spl" in winisd. the left side where the line is straight is where the driver is *excursion* limited. the round/flat top part that extends to the right is where the driver is *power* limited. [you must have entered the xmax and the pe for the driver or there will be no line.]

the project is decent and certainly a great bang for the buck.

the numbers however are way off. at 20hz, the system is *excursion* limited to 97db. this means no matter how much power you have or how the drivers are wired, you are out of xmax. you might eak out a couple more db past xmax.

adding a second sub and power will give +6db if the subs are co-located. that would bring you up to 103db at 20hz.

the sim in the pdf is all screwed up. the author had no idea what he was doing.

good luck with your build.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #10 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

the sim in the pdf is all screwed up. the author had no idea what he was doing.

good luck with your build.

Just plugged Infinity's #'s into BassBox Lite (just started playing with it). One driver is showing ~99dB at 20Hz. That is the 4 Ohm SVC. The DVC is spec'd at 96dB efficiency. So some of this is guess work. I think I may have loaded the wrong sim. It does denote 1 driver.

The 80 Liter box is showing cone displacement at X-Max at 20Hz 350 watts. Add a 2nd driver (the dual in the title) and it should be ~105 dB. I have updated the PDF. Sorry just been playing around with a ton of box options.

Just plugged two 1260's in an 80 liter box and not quite X-Max at 105dB. So I don't know where you are saying I'm off. Bassbox is showing 11.5 mm at 20hz. I haven't figured out why BBL 6.0 is puking on the 1262 modeling.

post #11 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"So I don't know where you are saying I'm off."

this part: Estimates put the F10 at 20Hz at 113dB

are you sure that you have entered all the specs accurately?

i'm looking at 2 drivers excursion limited at 103db at 20hz.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #12 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"So I don't know where you are saying I'm off."

this part: Estimates put the F10 at 20Hz at 113dB

are you sure that you have entered all the specs accurately?

i'm looking at 2 drivers excursion limited at 103db at 20hz.

I don't even know why I said 20hz at 113dB

The 1260 (SVC) is 97.5-98dB / 350 watts / a smidgen under xmax at 20Hz if the model is correct. So a double puts this at 100.5-101.

I can't get the 1262W to model correctly for some reason and it has a sensitivity of 96dB vs 91dB. so this should put it at ~104-105dB. Now if we stack another we are talking

I have been playing around with the Kappa also so potentially confused my sims.

post #13 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"I can't get the 1262W to model correctly for some reason and it has a sensitivity of 96dB vs 91dB. so this should put it at ~104-105dB."

no. sensitivity has nothing to do with the limit of the excursion.

13mm xmax is 13mm regardless of what the sensitivity is. sensitivity is a measure of the top end performance, not the bottom end.

my apologies if i came across a little harsh in your thread. you are trying to pick this stuff up and i respect that. it's just that when some numbers get thrown around as facts others will get confused too, so best to try to eliminate errors quickly.

like i said before, yours is a great bang for the buck build.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #14 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"I can't get the 1262W to model correctly for some reason and it has a sensitivity of 96dB vs 91dB. so this should put it at ~104-105dB."

no. sensitivity has nothing to do with the limit of the excursion.

13mm xmax is 13mm regardless of what the sensitivity is. sensitivity is a measure of the top end performance, not the bottom end.

my apologies if i came across a little harsh in your thread. you are trying to pick this stuff up and i respect that. it's just that when some numbers get thrown around as facts others will get confused too, so best to try to eliminate errors quickly.

like i said before, yours is a great bang for the buck build.

I thought the driver still had some X-Max to go even at 20Hz. BBL is starting to annoy me with not modeling the 1262 correctly. The 1262 should have that additional head room in the 50hz region I think. Since it isn't going to be near x-max/x-mech.

Any confusion is my fault. I have been modeling a handful of different drivers in different alignments. Yes it is a good bang for the buck build. I have some eD 190.v2's in cardboard box that I need to play around with also.

I am indeed new to BBL. Also doesn't help that the user interface is stuck to something like 600 X 400 and you can't size it any larger.

post #15 of 70 Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
If you have a copy of Excel, you can try out Unibox which is pretty accurate, easy to use and free. That's what I use.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #16 of 70 Old 06-01-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you like UniBox, you'll like this guy's code too.

http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

Very cool seeing realtime changes to response as you tweak box design. I especially like the ease of modeling PR designs.

bg
post #17 of 70 Old 06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Estimates put the F10 at 20Hz at 113dB not taking into account room gain at 700 watts. This is un-eq'd.

It's a sealed design so it should make the music people happy, it has a considerable amount of output even at 20Hz and down into the high teens so it should make the HT people happy.

Considering it's design the cabinet is small so it should make the wife happy.

Considering it really only needs a Behringer iNuke 1000DSP bridged it should make the budget happy.

I'm using the 3000DSP just because I plan on cutting a 2nd box at the same time. So if you are budget minded I have seen the drivers for $46 shipped Amazon prime ($92) and the Behringer iNuke 1000DSP for $245 after coupon at Guitar Center. For less than $400 it is shaping up to be an incredible value.

Hmm, you saw the 1262W for $46 shipped?
post #18 of 70 Old 06-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

Hmm, you saw the 1262W for $46 shipped?

I purchased 4 1262's from Amazon @ $46 about a week ago.
post #19 of 70 Old 06-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Insane deal. Thats a whole lot of displacement for $200.
post #20 of 70 Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by templemaners View Post

I purchased 4 1262's from Amazon @ $46 about a week ago.

Did you receive them yet?

post #21 of 70 Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Did you receive them yet?

They are due to arrive this Tuesday.
post #22 of 70 Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Liked: 10
Any update on this build?
post #23 of 70 Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 AM

Has there been any updates? Final images? ;-)
I am looking into these subs as well.

Thanks!
post #24 of 70 Old 08-03-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spowers777 View Post

Has there been any updates? Final images? ;-)
I am looking into these subs as well.
Thanks!

I say go ahead and order them up. I bought 4 - 1260's and put them into a pair of sealed enclosures with 2 cubic feet per driver. I'm running them with a Crown XLS 1500 in 2ohm stereo and they are very impressive. For the money, you really can't go wrong. I'm pretty sure that I would have had to spend A LOT more money to beat this setup.

I went from a pretty small single sub to the above setup and just watching TV is impressive. It's really funny to feel how much bass is in some commercials. The looks my wife gives me are also hilarious. We listen to a lot of Pandora when we get home from work and while we're getting dinner ready. She just shakes her head, smiles and says, those things are ridiculous. Our entire house vibrates now. I never used to be able to feel bass unless I could also "hear" it, now I can actually feel the lower bass without hearing it. I'll be sitting on the couch and it will just start shaking from the bass. it's really hard to describe unless you've experienced it. So, the difference for me was out of this world.

Don't know if any of the above helps, but I really cannot say enough about these subs. Very, very impressive for the money. Especially when implemented in multiples.
post #25 of 70 Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Great. This is exactly what I was looking for. Would you mind explaining your connections and all? Perhaps some final pictures?
I am looking at this same setup, but am a little confused on the box/connections....
post #26 of 70 Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayHRC51 View Post

I say go ahead and order them up. I bought 4 - 1260's and put them into a pair of sealed enclosures with 2 cubic feet per driver. I'm running them with a Crown XLS 1500 in 2ohm stereo and they are very impressive. For the money, you really can't go wrong. I'm pretty sure that I would have had to spend A LOT more money to beat this setup.
I went from a pretty small single sub to the above setup and just watching TV is impressive. It's really funny to feel how much bass is in some commercials. The looks my wife gives me are also hilarious. We listen to a lot of Pandora when we get home from work and while we're getting dinner ready. She just shakes her head, smiles and says, those things are ridiculous. Our entire house vibrates now. I never used to be able to feel bass unless I could also "hear" it, now I can actually feel the lower bass without hearing it. I'll be sitting on the couch and it will just start shaking from the bass. it's really hard to describe unless you've experienced it. So, the difference for me was out of this world.
Don't know if any of the above helps, but I really cannot say enough about these subs. Very, very impressive for the money. Especially when implemented in multiples.

Jay: thanks for giving us your comments on how the 1262 drivers are performing. They sound impressive.

What subwoofer were you using before?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #27 of 70 Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Also, I see a 2 cu ft seal box for specs, what was the size for a ported box in cu ft and what were the port sizes as well? The charts are very confusing...
I'm just curious as to the size difference of the ported / sealed. I plan to have two boxes and wonder how much more real estate the ported would consume. ;-)
This would be the double sub box. Thanks in advance.
post #28 of 70 Old 08-03-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Great. This is exactly what I was looking for. Would you mind explaining your connections and all? Perhaps some final pictures?
I am looking at this same setup, but am a little confused on the box/connections....

Sure thing. I purchased 4 - 1260's in 4ohm and I put two drivers in each enclosure. The subs are wired so that they present a 2ohm load to each channel of the amp. I'm using the sub-out from my receiver, that connects to a Y adapter that then feeds both channels of the amp. As mentioned, I'm using a Crown XLS 1500 for power. It's giving about 750 watts per channel at 2ohm's. It is dead silent. I don't think that I've ever heard the fans kick on, so no fan noise issues. And I also did not get any ground loop issues, no hum. Some people have complained about both. I've had zero issues running a pro amp. I was a little worried about going pro amp but it has worked flawlessly for my application.

I ordered speakon connectors from PE and they are the best connection you could possibly make. And they were supper cheap. I needed four single pole male connectors and two single pole female connectors. This allows you to plug into the back of the pro amp and then make the same connections at the sub cabinet.

I got everything together so that I could give them a listen and get them broken in a little. I've had them up and running for about two weeks. I'm planning to yank the drivers and veneer the boxes this weekend. I'll take some before, during and after pics for the veneer process. I'm using paper backed cherry and solid cherry for all corners so that I can do a round-over and not expose any of the plywood lamination.
post #29 of 70 Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Also, I see a 2 cu ft seal box for specs, what was the size for a ported box in cu ft and what were the port sizes as well? The charts are very confusing...
I'm just curious as to the size difference of the ported / sealed. I plan to have two boxes and wonder how much more real estate the ported would consume. ;-)
This would be the double sub box. Thanks in advance.

Some of the other members did a couple models for me and we figured out that 4cuft and 750 watts per enclosure looked about the best so that's what I did. I was doing sealed from the word go and never modeled a ported box.
post #30 of 70 Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

What subwoofer were you using before?

I had a Mirage 8" ported sub that I bought years ago. It was a really good back in the day, and in the room that I had it in. Back in June I moved into a house with a much larger and completely open room. I really needed the extra displacement to compensate.

I built these subs with the intention of moving them to a dedicated theater room once I finish the basement. Once I have them in a room that I can seal I'm guessing these things will be pretty crazy.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page