Obsidian Audio 18" Subwoofer Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 06-06-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So as some of you may remember I had asked a question of which to get, the Dayton RSS390HF or the Obsidian Audio 18" driver that wasn't released yet. So I decided on the Obsidian driver as I wanted to join the 18" sub club. While I was waiting for the driver I decided to build the cabinet.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also have a bunch of aluminum spikes that my father had milled, he never used them and gave them to me so I used four of them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

They're big but this is a big cabinet. After woofer and bracing displacement it's a tad over 6 cubic feet.

Then the woofer arrived.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have to say this driver for $148, even at full price is an INCREDIBLE value. Build quality and finish is quite excellent. Being used in a home environment I am not a huge fan of the yellow logo, so with a little bit of mineral spirits off it came.

Photobucket

next it was time to mount it. I stuffed the cabinet with 6 pounds of polyfil and loaded the driver.

Photobucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Nice job! Such a good looking driver. How did you manage to get them for $148?
post #3 of 36 Old 06-06-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This thing is so much more impressive than anything else I have owned. This is a low end monster, and I'm comfortable enough to use it with music. It sounds very clean, probably because the bass is so effotless. It just surrounds you and fills the room. I'm still working on the amp settings, trying to get as flat of response as possible. All I have is a Radioshack spl meter and plan on running test tones to figure out where I am. This woofer can take more than the amp can throw at it, I'm not using much of the xmax at all.

I think this should be considered on of the top contenders for anyone looking for a budget build. The only 18 I would recommend over this one would be the Fi 18 IB for someone looking to do on IB setup, the extra xmax will help with extension. Let me know what you think, thanks! Oh and I love the surround.

Dan
post #4 of 36 Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

Nice job! Such a good looking driver. How did you manage to get them for $148?

Thanks! The $148 was the preorder sale price.

Dan
post #5 of 36 Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
WOW! Impressive. I would like to hear your impressions once you have it up and running for a while.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For the price, it is a great woofer. I plan to snag one eventually. The butyl high profile surround is mint.

Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice:
It's also the very sort of Voodoo Engineering that should never be done.

post #7 of 36 Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Wow those seem like a great deal! Still only $190. How bad were the shipping charges?

What HPF do you have set on the O Audio amp? the 16hz setting looks like it works the best after playing around in winisd with that woofer.
post #8 of 36 Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks all!

filtor1- I plan on giving a more in depth review after I have everything setup properly and get some measurements

WiSounds- thanks for the input, honestly the surround is one of the things that sold me on the driver. If this monster HT sub Nick is talking about building has this type of surround and the bargin this is (I know it'll be more obviously) ill be one of the first in line.

Jay1- shipping wasn't too bad. It was about $50 from NC to OR so east coast to west coast. The settings on the amp are new to me so I do have it on the 16hz setting. Crossover enabled to roll off at 80 hz (is that for the sub or audio out to manage the mains?) and for the parametric eq I have q all the way on hi (that's how it came from the factory, I dunno) freq is turned all the way down to 20 hz and on the -6dB mark (if it's linear).

Anything I should change? I could really use the help as I am very new to this amp.

Dan
post #9 of 36 Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabracer23 View Post

Jay1- shipping wasn't too bad. It was about $50 from NC to OR so east coast to west coast. The settings on the amp are new to me so I do have it on the 16hz setting. Crossover enabled to roll off at 80 hz (is that for the sub or audio out to manage the mains?) and for the parametric eq I have q all the way on hi (that's how it came from the factory, I dunno) freq is turned all the way down to 20 hz and on the -6dB mark (if it's linear).
Anything I should change? I could really use the help as I am very new to this amp.
Dan

Turn the EQ to 0, you're actually causing a broad cut of 6db centered at 20 hz right now. When you can measure your response you would then use the eq to cut down the largest peak. The 16hz HPF is actually giving you a broad EQ boost to your low end, peaking at 13.6hz with 7.8 db of boost, it has gain all the way up to 40hz, the attached pic shows what your basic response should look like (the EQ setting you have right now is basically negating the boost you should be getting, and your system is acting like a standard sealed box). The 80hz setting is your low pass to the sub, so that is fine

This driver has no problem handling the boost down low with only 450 watts on it.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-06-2012, 11:01 PM

Liked: 10
Great looking sub there saabracer, and made by a fellow Oregonian as well!

I like the look of the driver too, I may try going LLT with a few of them... Hmm... To WinISD!

"Measure twice, then measure again. Only then should you even THINK about cutting."

post #11 of 36 Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Nice project! Let us know how it keeps performing after you beat on it for a while. smile.gif
post #12 of 36 Old 06-07-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well didn't have much luck. Tried to send a sinewave to the drive to help loosen the suspension. The amp got warm real quick, but I got it moving.

So I think I might need a new meter. At 10hz (with online adjustments) it said I was doing about 70db then at 20 about 70db. Then 30, 40, and 50 hz I did 70db. At 10 hz the energy in the room was pretty awesome, my ears felt like I was in a plane about to pop. At 20 it was scary. I know I was doing more than 70db. My room is about 11x14x7.5 with 2 concrete walls. The sub is in the corner where the concrete walls meet.

Anyone in the salemish area want to come help me with some measurements? This weekend I'll have a couple Boston butts (pork shoulder for those who don't know) on the Traeger for pulled pork sandwiches and beer in it for you!

Dan
post #13 of 36 Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Well didn't have much luck. Tried to send a sinewave to the drive to help loosen the suspension. The amp got warm real quick, but I got it moving.
So I think I might need a new meter. At 10hz (with online adjustments) it said I was doing about 70db then at 20 about 70db. Then 30, 40, and 50 hz I did 70db. At 10 hz the energy in the room was pretty awesome, my ears felt like I was in a plane about to pop. At 20 it was scary. I know I was doing more than 70db. My room is about 11x14x7.5 with 2 concrete walls. The sub is in the corner where the concrete walls meet.
Anyone in the salemish area want to come help me with some measurements? This weekend I'll have a couple Boston butts (pork shoulder for those who don't know) on the Traeger for pulled pork sandwiches and beer in it for you!
Dan

For that meal I'd think about a road trip lol

post #14 of 36 Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 140
For that meal I am tempted to fly in from Cambodia - I miss pulled pork.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #15 of 36 Old 06-08-2012, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The final product looks great. Too bad you're not closer to Portland. I'd love to hear this thing in action. I'm looking at building some subs and this looks like a great driver for the money.
post #16 of 36 Old 06-08-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thucker View Post

The final product looks great. Too bad you're not closer to Portland. I'd love to hear this thing in action. I'm looking at building some subs and this looks like a great driver for the money.

It's only an hour, if you ever find yourself coming to Salem, let me know!

Dan
post #17 of 36 Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm drawing up my plans for the 8ft long cabinet to hold my (4) 18" Obsidian subs. Ported design lets these things work effortlessly with much less distortion.

I had (4) of the Stereo Integrity 15" Mag woofers doing IB duty in the ceiling of my great room until I heard the 18" model:eek:

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
post #18 of 36 Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hz lover View Post

I'm drawing up my plans for the 8ft long cabinet to hold my (4) 18" Obsidian subs. Ported design lets these things work effortlessly with much less distortion.
I had (4) of the Stereo Integrity 15" Mag woofers doing IB duty in the ceiling of my great room until I heard the 18" model:eek:

Cool, will you share the plans when you're done? At times I hear this distortion coming from the sub. I put my head in front of the driver, nope. After a little searching I found that its the actual cabinet that's making the noise and it sounds exactly like bad distortion. So I've been thinking of redoing the cabinet.

Dan
post #19 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
how thick is your baltic birch? how thick is thebaffle?
post #20 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Does anyone know if these have shorting rings like the Dayton Reference subs? Will you do some distortion measurements? These are very $/Xmax value subs if the specs are true with 20mm Xmax....

JSS
post #21 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Cool, will you share the plans when you're done? At times I hear this distortion coming from the sub. I put my head in front of the driver, nope. After a little searching I found that its the actual cabinet that's making the noise and it sounds exactly like bad distortion. So I've been thinking of redoing the cabinet.
Dan

Dan: I likely will only have hand drawn plans unless I can get someone to draw them up on a PC. I chose the cabinet to be 8 ft wide so that it would fit under my PJ screen perfectly (110" diagonal). But I'll be glad to send you a copy of it when I'm done.

The owner/designer of Obsidian usually tries to discourage the use of the subs in a sealed box....as they have their share of problems due to the inherent pressures/box issues. You should try a ported box just to see for yourself what the sonic differences are. I will have to dig up that old article out of the "Audio" magazine from the 80's that had an article on subwoofers and had the engineer from JBL talk about the testing they had done and why they would only be making ported boxes in the future. It takes an extremely well braced box to be sonically "dead" when you go the sealed route. Those are rather thin strips you have internally for bracing and are likely oscillating with the pressure waves.

My box is going to be 96" long, but I'm going to build 2 boxes that will be joined so that it will be easier to pick up a 44 inch long box instead of a 96 inch long box. I'll have a solid top and solid full width grille cloth panel across the front as I want all four woofers and ports pushing the pressure wave directly at me.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
post #22 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All of the walls including front baffle is 3/4". I needed the outer dimensions to be as small as possible.

These do not have shorting rings. Nick did say they will "soon" have a realease of drivers that are like "the obsidian and sundown drivers got together and had a baby" and will have shorting rings. He said these will be more geared towards the HT crowd as they'll have a suspension better for a HT application (lower FS and such). Best thing is he said the drivers should be similar to they're pricing now, so they 18 he said should be right around $200.

I do believe the 20mm to be true as playing this thing free air it can move. And it's quiet almost no mechanical noise. I may sell this driver off to some bass head if these new drivers are priced similarly and the parameters allow them to be used in a smaller cabinet. If there is enough interest on the board and can get a group buy thing going Nick said that should save a bit on shipping charges.

Dan
post #23 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hz lover View Post

Dan: I likely will only have hand drawn plans unless I can get someone to draw them up on a PC. I chose the cabinet to be 8 ft wide so that it would fit under my PJ screen perfectly (110" diagonal). But I'll be glad to send you a copy of it when I'm done.
The owner/designer of Obsidian usually tries to discourage the use of the subs in a sealed box....as they have their share of problems due to the inherent pressures/box issues. You should try a ported box just to see for yourself what the sonic differences are. I will have to dig up that old article out of the "Audio" magazine from the 80's that had an article on subwoofers and had the engineer from JBL talk about the testing they had done and why they would only be making ported boxes in the future. It takes an extremely well braced box to be sonically "dead" when you go the sealed route. Those are rather thin strips you have internally for bracing and are likely oscillating with the pressure waves.
My box is going to be 96" long, but I'm going to build 2 boxes that will be joined so that it will be easier to pick up a 44 inch long box instead of a 96 inch long box. I'll have a solid top and solid full width grille cloth panel across the front as I want all four woofers and ports pushing the pressure wave directly at me.

Cool, well I don't need your exact plans as there is noooo way my wife would allow 4 of these guys, she's already fed up with one. What kind of volume are you giving each driver? Tuning frequency of the cabinet? Port area?

Nick mentioned that he was doing a couple of HT builds with these and his tuning of his cabinets seemed a bit high, but I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Dan
post #24 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 PM

Nick is obsessed with sound quality. I live close to him and have known him since he first got started , as he has said before that the easiest thing in the speaker world is to make one that plays loud, getting one to be extremely accurate is a whole different game. Most people have not heard very tight and accurate subs, and everyone has a different reference point according to what they have been exposed to in life. I have always gotten enjoyment out of exposing people to large scale hi-fi systems I've owned and making them shake their heads in disbelief after an audition. I'm still working on my system, although the new 18" subs should get me really close to where I want to end up.biggrin.gif

post #25 of 36 Old 06-11-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

With a Qts of over .6 this driver isnt exactly ideal for ported, unless you're okay with a 20 ft3 + sized box.
post #26 of 36 Old 06-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good read Saabracer, I'm looking at these same subs for a build in my HT. I'd love to run the 18" but after some discussion with Jay1 I'm probably going to have to go with four of the 15's in a vented cabinet on 500w. I'm still debating though.

Panasonic TC P65s2
Onkyo TX-NR708, 2 Beheringer EP2500's , Belkin PF60, HDMI Set Top Box, PS3/XboxOne
1 Yamaha NS-C444
2 Yamaha NS-777
4 Yamaha NS-333
4 Power Acoustik Mofo 15's (1.6 cubes sealed and stuffed)
post #27 of 36 Old 06-14-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Sexy907 View Post

Good read Saabracer, I'm looking at these same subs for a build in my HT. I'd love to run the 18" but after some discussion with Jay1 I'm probably going to have to go with four of the 15's in a vented cabinet on 500w. I'm still debating though.

Well it seems that Nick has something in the works. He's doing a HT install with these 18s in ported cabs that aren't absurd in size. He'll be doing some measurements and will post them but believes he'll have an f3 into the mid teens. Maybe hold off on the fifteens.

Dan
post #28 of 36 Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
here is the 18" in an 8 cubic footer ported, tuned to 15hz and a sealed 8 cubic footer.

the gray line gets all jammed up because 8 cubic feet is way too small of a ported cab for this driver.

if you want a reasonable sized cab for the 18", might as well just go sealed as there is hardly any benefit to the ported design.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #29 of 36 Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
if you go 8cu ft with a peaking high pass (17hz q of 1.8 works pretty good), you get a not half bad frequency response.

If you could only do one of these it certainly wouldnt be a terrible option, i dont think. With the vented you would be up 6db at 20hz compared to the sealed. If you have half decent eq you could also tame out the inductance hump.
post #30 of 36 Old 08-04-2013, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

With a Qts of over .6 this driver isnt exactly ideal for ported, unless you're okay with a 20 ft3 + sized box.

If you are after a 3 ft^3 ported enclosure 18" subwoofer with an F3 of 13 Hz this driver is not for you. Period. However, if you are after a very usable 18" subwoofer for movies a most of the audio spectrum this particular driver exudes performance. The sealed box alignment simulations speak volumes for themselves in that aspect. Is it the deepest diving driver in 3 ft^3? No. Does is produce a lot of output down to/at 25/30 Hz in a small sealed box? Yes. WinISD does lot like this woofer. smile.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page