I've been itching to build a DIY subwoofer since I purchased the Epik Valor in early 2008. The Valor is a quality sealed 15" design with a 350W BASH amp. It has served me well since I bought it but I've always been interested in the extra output and extension offered by a ported design. I had wanted the Knight at the time of purchase but the wife shot it down due to size (now it's time for payback
). I started to investigate purchasing a new driver and amp, thinking I might sell the Valor to subsidize the build.
Ultimately, I decided to design and build a new ported enclosure and transplant both the Epik 15" driver and amp into the box. As some may recall, Chad used to sell the Valor, Knight, and Caliber models in different enclosures but using the same driver and amp combo. So, in effect, what I am building is equivalent to something between the Knight/Caliber in size and tuning frequency. I e-mailed Chad my plans (including the below Sketchup drawing) and he blessed the project saying the performance should be excellent. While he didn't provide the T/S parameters of the driver, he did indicate the driver has 27-29mm Xmax (one-way) and the plate amp has a HPF at 20Hz as well as a boost at 20Hz.
The Valor is currently used as an end table at the end of my couch. The new ported enclosure will occupy the same space and has been sized to fit in this spot.
Here is a pic of the Valor in its current home:
Here is a pic of the 15" Valor driver:Enclosure Specs:
Driver: Epik 15" Valor/Knight/Caliber
Box Dimensions: 20"W x 24"H x 28"D
Port Dimensions: 12"W x 2.5"H x 35"D
Box Volume: 5.1 cf
Tuning Frequency: 20Hz
Amp: 350W plate amp (HPF @20Hz)
For comparison, the Valor enclosure is 16.5"W x 22"H x 21"D.
Here is the Sketchup drawing I used to create the cutsheet:Build Plan:
The box will be made from MDF. The current plan is to use wood veneer to finish it with quarter-round around the front face. I'm not decided yet on the wood type but would like to stain match my TV stand.
I'll be gluing and screwing (I have minimal clamps and am impatient) using square-head trim screws as recommended in one of the sticky threads here.
I've made all the cuts and did a dry fit this week, all looks good. Panel cuts were made with a table saw. Circle cuts and framing cuts were made with a jigsaw.
Here are a couple of pics of the dry fit:
If all goes well, assembly of the box should begin this weekend.