Ear Hygiene and Bass Perception - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was getting this wicked left-ear pressurization effect with all bass tones (and my subwoofer is to the left a bit so I thought that was the culprit), so I turned a 180 to see if it switched ears (nada). I went and cleaned my right ear out and suddenly the pressurization effect was in my right ear. After cleaning both out, problem solved.

I guess I learned that good aural hygiene is important... So remember to keep your ears clean!

Also, I remember being congested/sick at times and it stopped me from hearing sub-35 bass even at ridiculous levels.

Share your experiences with aural hygiene (or being sick) and deep bass wink.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 688
ive contemplated for a while trying those ear candles that everyone in my town seems crazy about. Ive watched it done, and even folks that q-tip their ears everyday like myself still had an incredible amount of gunk come out. for some reason though, I am still quite nervous about putting a burning cone in my ear that creates suction and pulls anything and everything out... wierd

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

ive contemplated for a while trying those ear candles that everyone in my town seems crazy about. Ive watched it done, and even folks that q-tip their ears everyday like myself still had an incredible amount of gunk come out. for some reason though, I am still quite nervous about putting a burning cone in my ear that creates suction and pulls anything and everything out... wierd

u could also just buy the ear cleaning stuff from the store and skip the whole fire thing that has caused many to go deaf.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Definitely do not do any ear candling!

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4679845_ear-candle-clean-ear.html

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #5 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 PM
The Truth Hz

haha, quite true to you both, and is why I havent done it. The two folks I have witnessed doing it though speak very highly of the results, and I have seen myself the nasties that come out.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Aha. When I was younger than 8, I had all kinds of ear infections. I used the candles weekly until eventually I just had tubes put in. Fun stuff cool.gif

post #7 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 297
buy one of these kits for your ears. 514aSc%2B4yML._SL500_AA300_.jpg
They are like $2. You put the drops in. let them sit for a few minutes and fill the blue bulb with water and squeeze the crap out of it in your ear. It's perfectly safe and you can't do any damage to your ear using it. I do mine once a month or more if needed. I'm always in dust and crap at work, so they end up getting lots of crap in there.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #8 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 PM

Liked: 12
I get a decent amount of wax in my ears and every 6 months or so make an appointment with an Otolaryngologist. She either uses small suction instruments to suck out the wax or she goes digging! Long story short my hearing is vastly improved and the pressurization sensitivity goes away for a few months. BTW Q-tips are horrible for the ears, if you have a lot of wax it can cause a wax plug over time. Use the drops that N8DOGG suggested, they work very well.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
ear candle grossness is all just the wax from the candle itself:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html
post #10 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have horrible ears for many reasons but the medical drops work wonders. My ears are too bad to use the bulb so I go have my wife's nurse use the water gun to really put pressure in there. My wife is a family doctor and had me try the drops when we first met. I kept getting junk out of my ears for days at a time before she talked me into having her nurse give it a try. Using the bulb should work for most people but the pressure that ear gun generates is awesome. It feels kinda weird but man does it make your ears feel clean a couple hours later.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

ear candle grossness is all just the wax from the candle itself:
http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html

ha, I tried that a few years ago, curious and all that jazz.

They say 'don't use more than once a month' (whatever, can't remember now). Anyways, for sure the first time you use it and have a look it seems to have pulled out a lot of junk, woohoo!

BUT, I do it a few days later and wouldn't you know, AGAIN it seems lot's of stuff has come out!

Alright, experiment time...I light one and just balance it upright on the bench and let it go.

Guess what I found the result was.... yep. Exactly the same as the other times.

I concluded that what you see (and assign to the removal of ear wax/junk) is simply the natural result of the candle burning anyway. Nothing to do with your ears.

Kinda relaxing tho as long as no-one can see you looking like an idiot with the burning candle in your ear haha. Gentle white noise in your ear.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

I have horrible ears for many reasons but the medical drops work wonders. My ears are too bad to use the bulb so I go have my wife's nurse use the water gun to really put pressure in there. My wife is a family doctor and had me try the drops when we first met. I kept getting junk out of my ears for days at a time before she talked me into having her nurse give it a try. Using the bulb should work for most people but the pressure that ear gun generates is awesome. It feels kinda weird but man does it make your ears feel clean a couple hours later.

lol, I've had the gun also. O man it feels good when it done!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #13 of 14 Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 AM
The Truth Hz

Wait that bulb shoots the water into your ear? Then where does it go?comes right back out? I will have to look into this.

post #14 of 14 Old 06-18-2012, 02:17 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Wait that bulb shoots the water into your ear? Then where does it go?comes right back out? I will have to look into this.

Yes. You fill up the bulb with warm water, having a temperature as close as you can get to body temperature. Too warm and you can experience dizziness and/or nausea. Too cold can be quite uncomfortable too. Do not insert the nozzle straight in! The "straight in" motion of the water could damage your eardrum. Instead, insert it into the ear at an angle approaching 90 degrees "off-axis". At the same time, pull down on your earlobe so there's a gap between your ear opening and the bulb nozzle. Do not allow the opening to be sealed off. This can happen if you push it in too far. When you squirt the water in there, because of the "off-axis" direction, the water will travel tangentially along the inside of the ear, and on the way out, it will pick up any wax and other gunk and pop them out. It's best to try light pressure first, then increase pressure gradually. It may be necessary to refill the bulb a few times as you get the feel for it. It can take a surprising amount of pressure to get a large wax plug out. You'll need to sit on the edge of a bathtub or in a shower, because water goes all over the place.

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are experiencing an actual problem though. It seems that I get an occasional ear infection with associated severe wax buildup that literally plugs up my ear, sealing it entirely. This is quite panic-inducing because of the internal pressure. The first time it happened, a doctor used this technique (with "the gun") and it worked great. It happened to me another time, on a weekend, and I could not get in to see a doctor until the following week. So I bought a bulb and tried it. It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, but I had good success. I wouldn't have had the nerve to do it had I not experienced a doctor doing it previously and known what it was like.

I advise extreme caution.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page