Want to measure my subs/need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just as the title states. I want to measure my subs and I have no idea what equipment I need to buy.

I will also want to measure my mains and surrounds as well if that makes a difference.

Right now all I have is a POS radio shack meter that stops at like 128db so would like to upgrade that for sure. I have a laptop that will not open pdf files. I still dont have an EQ because I truly dont know what will be the best for my situation. I really dont want to add a bunch of stuff to the chain if I dont have to as it seems like each item adds noise/hum to the speakers.

Equipment

Denon 4311 AVR

2 QSC 3602s for the LCR- seems like never ending battle to keep hum out of these. One is worse than the other.

2 FP10000 clones will soon be 3- 4 subs ran from 2 of them and 2 subs will be ran from the third

Front height LR speakers ran from AVR

Surround LR ran from AVR but will be ran from a small QSC amp when add another set of Surround LRs

Rear LR surround ran from AVR

3 Stewart Film Screen EQs that came with screen for LCR- they add a little noise to the entire system for some reason no matter where I plug them up. I have multiple dedicated circuits for the equipment rack. Will use these until I figure out what I need to do.

I will most likely try to find an amp to run all of the surrounds at some point but not in the near future as room treatments, EQ, and measurement tools are next on my list.

So can you all help me get the tools that I'll need and some EQs. I really like the minis but dont understand which models I would need for what and dont know if I would be better off with something else as I would need multiples of these is my understanding???? Multiples worry me in the adding stuff to the every gaining db hum so it seems.

I'm not trying to pretend that I know anything about this and that is why I am here. I know how to place a tripod and plot numbers if that is what it will take but I'm truly ignorant to home audio EQ and measurements. I've done it in my car with a pretty nice software that came with the Fosgate 360 but thats all I've ever done unless plain ole 14/32 or whatever band EQ I played with as a kid counts.

I dont want to go over the top on measuring gear but would like something that I wouldnt want to upgrade later on. So I guess best bang for buck.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 943
you have three matters there:
1. noise
2. measurement
3. eq.

as for noise, if you haven't already, search on ground loop and eliminate them in your system. your qsc amps are good amps and should not make any humm.

as for measurement, one option is an all in one kit, such as omnimic from parts express. another option is a calibrated mic, an external 'soundcard' device, and software. there are calibrated behringer mics such as the ecm8000 if you feel that your rs meter with correction file isn't good enough for eq'ing bass. the mic requires phantom power, which can be provided independently or from an external sound card that includes it such as the M-Audio MobilePre USB. for software, rew (room eq wizard) is free. if you stick with your rs meter, then i think a behringer uca202 and the rew software is all that you need, but that needs to be confirmed.

as for eq, there are several solutions, but since i'm as confused as anyone about which software goes with which minidsp and which one is ideal for ht setup, somebody else can weigh in there.

good luck with it all. it really isn't as complicated as it sounds.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

I have a laptop that will not open pdf files.

Have you installed the Adobe reader?

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Just as the title states. I want to measure my subs and I have no idea what equipment I need to buy.

I will also want to measure my mains and surrounds as well if that makes a difference.

Right now all I have is a POS radio shack meter that stops at like 128db so would like to upgrade that for sure.

There is realy nothing wrong with that "POS" SPL meter. Why do you need to measure 128 dB anyhow?

I use the "POS" Digital RS spl meter as my microphone along with REW and TueRTA. Not perfect below 20 Hz due the use of the SPL C scale and compensation factors in each program, but you can easily see defects in the FR in the audible range.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 943
here is some good info for you.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/wizardhelpv5/help_en-GB/html/gettingstarted.html

scroll down to "equipment needed" for some options.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

you have three matters there:
1. noise
2. measurement
3. eq.
as for noise, if you haven't already, search on ground loop and eliminate them in your system. your qsc amps are good amps and should not make any humm.
as for measurement, one option is an all in one kit, such as omnimic from parts express. another option is a calibrated mic, an external 'soundcard' device, and software. there are calibrated behringer mics such as the ecm8000 if you feel that your rs meter with correction file isn't good enough for eq'ing bass. the mic requires phantom power, which can be provided independently or from an external sound card that includes it such as the M-Audio MobilePre USB. for software, rew (room eq wizard) is free. if you stick with your rs meter, then i think a behringer uca202 and the rew software is all that you need, but that needs to be confirmed.
as for eq, there are several solutions, but since i'm as confused as anyone about which software goes with which minidsp and which one is ideal for ht setup, somebody else can weigh in there.
good luck with it all. it really isn't as complicated as it sounds.

Yeah, I've unhooked and trouble shot everything. As of right now the stewart EQs are the culprit no matter which circuit I plug them in to. The cables used with them dont cause hum if the EQs arent in the chain, so am stuck. They dont have a ground prong on the cord either so that confuses me even more.

The omnimic looks interesting and not too expensive.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Have you installed the Adobe reader?
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
There is realy nothing wrong with that "POS" SPL meter. Why do you need to measure 128 dB anyhow?
I use the "POS" Digital RS spl meter as my microphone along with REW and TueRTA. Not perfect below 20 Hz due the use of the SPL C scale and compensation factors in each program, but you can easily see defects in the FR in the audible range.

Everywhere I read about it, its advised that it is better suited for subs only. That is why i say POS. You get what you pay for with almost everything. If I were just wanting to measure my subs then I guess sticking with it would be fine.

As for 128db max reading, I would like to play around at higher dbs at some point just to see how well all my investments perform.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

here is some good info for you.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/wizardhelpv5/help_en-GB/html/gettingstarted.html
scroll down to "equipment needed" for some options.

Yeah, that makes me want to get the omnimic kit. I assume everything will be in it to get me up and running right away, as the description implies that.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page