Troubleshooting Subwoofer issue and possible new amp ideas for an Klipsh RSW-15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-16-2012, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am posting here as it seems to be the best fit forum for the advice I am looking for.

About a year ago my 2 year old son was playing behind my RSW-15 Sub. It made a loud pop sounds and no longer powered on.

I swapped the fuse and no go. I sent the amp to the authorized Klipsch repair center and they swapped it out for I assume a refurb as it came back pretty quick. I reinstalled the amp and now it powers on and will play music.

First off it seems I have to turn the sub up significantly more than I used to in order to get anything audible. I used to leave it around 1/4 volume connected to me denon 7.1 system and RF7s.

It seems to do OK with deep base but anything else results in a very garbled dirty sound. I hooked up to a different subwoofer source and same issue. I pulled out the sub but left it hooked up so I could listen to it outside of the cabinet. The sound is still the same. I did all the standard blown sub tests like pushing down on the woofer and listening for crunching sounds etc.. It past all the manual tests.

I am at a loss at what else to do. Anyone have any thoughts? Does this sound like the replacement amp has issues? Should I buy a new sub and swap it?

For those DIY guys, I hate to waste a good cabinet and components if it ends up being just the sub or the amp. Any thoughts on good replacements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
i say grab a dayton sub and plug it in, they are pretty cheap and will sound pretty dam good for your application. if problem continued then send the amp back to klispch since you just had it replace, im pretty sure they can replace it again for you.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
First, I would make sure your subwoofer cable isn't damaged - in fact, I would expect that to be the most likely cause of failure the first time it broke too. Do you have any spare cables laying around that you can swap out?

Also, have you tried calling Klipsch back to see what they say about it?

Btw, there is EQ built into the amplifier for the RSW-15....just a straight up amp swap isn't going to get you back to where you were...

-Mike Bentz
~It's all about compromise~
post #4 of 10 Old 06-16-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

I recently tried to swap the cable and Y Adapter I used as well. I switched polarities as well and it still sounds bad. It is almost like a rattle type of sound from the sub. I thought it may have been something loose in the cabinet, or something I did when I reinstalled the sub and amp after the new amp arrived. That is the main reason I removed the sub from the cabinet and kept it connected to the amp and tested again. Even outside of the cabinet it had the same sound.

I have reached out to the repair center that did the repair. Hopefully I haven’t waited too long as I have had it back for a couple of months but didn’t have time to troubleshoot again until recently. I am waiting to hear back from them.

I expect that there is a crossover in the cabinet as well as the amp, so that and the internal wiring are other possible failure points.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 04:35 AM

Liked: 14
You said you hooked the klipsch amp up to another subwoofer and it still sounded bad right?

If you didn't try that it would be a good test to figure out if its the amp or the sub. It wouldn't necessarily even have to be a sub, just a speaker with enough response to hear if it's still garbled.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

That is a good thought. I dont have any subs around the house, and I am a bit nervous connecting to one of my Towers. Maybe its time for a quick run buy Best Buy to grab a 12" Subwoofer for testing (assuming they dont keep 15" in stock)
post #7 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

that sound like the sub is bad to me. sound like the coil hit the backplate when it pop. try to push the sub in and out to see its rubbing. very common problem.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I did the manual tests of pushing it in and out originally and everything seemed to be fine.

I have now purchased a little 12" Polk Audio Sub from Best Buy. I hooked it up to the amp and it has the same issue. I guess at least now I know it is not the Subwoofer.

I have already reached out to Sybesmas Electronics to see if they will do anything since they “fixed” the amp, but it is starting to look more and more like the amp is still an issue.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

wait, so is it klipsch dealer that fix the amp or some electronic store that fix the amp? cuz i know klipsch would just replace the amp. klipch replace my amp when i had problems with my rsw10d.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

It was the repair center that klipsch sent me to. It is out of warranty but they suggested this place. I expect they swapped it though as it came back.to quick for a repair.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page