post #31 of 35 Old 06-23-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Mine's tapped, Mike's is front loaded with a sealed chamber behind the driver. The F-20 is perfect for re-using that MFW driver, though.

Thanks for the reply, Wolf! I am highly considering the F-20. Can you explain to me how your particular sub compares to the F-20? I have heard great things about the F-20, but, everyone seems to be in agreement that it doesn't dig down very low, at least not down to 20hz or below. If I went that way, I am afraid that I would not like it as much as I did my single/stock MFW-15 (that just recently bit the dust). I can't remember how low the MFW-15 went, but I am pretty sure it easily went to 18hz.

I would be highly interested in your opinion (or anyone else's opinion for that matter) in how your subs that you designed, compared to the F-20? Which would go lower and which had the most output?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If you click the link I posted on page 1, post 17, (designs) there is a link under the TRIO12 section called TL (transmission line) Eventually, I will be looking very intently at that project. Here is a copy/paste from the features described in the pdf:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trio12 transmission line 
With room lift, they should be flat to about 15Hz, 90db sensitivity, with an F10 of ~8Hz.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #33 of 35 Old 06-24-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

If you click the link I posted on page 1, post 17, (designs) there is a link under the TRIO12 section called TL (transmission line) Eventually, I will be looking very intently at that project. Here is a copy/paste from the features described in the pdf:

I wonder how the Trio12-TL would compare to the SDX that Oklahoma Wolf designed? Which is the easier cabinet to build? They both look very good. I have narrowed down my search to the Trio12-TL or Oklahoma Wolfs SDX or LiL Mikes F-20. Looking for some more input from you guys re: these subs?
post #34 of 35 Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Wolf! I am highly considering the F-20. Can you explain to me how your particular sub compares to the F-20? I have heard great things about the F-20, but, everyone seems to be in agreement that it doesn't dig down very low, at least not down to 20hz or below.

Mine's designed to hit 120dB at 1 meter in good sized or other challenging rooms with under 350 watts to 16-17Hz that have little or no room gain to speak of. A bit more if you corner fire it. It's about the best you can do for SPL at a 16.3Hz tune with a couple of 10" drivers. How much extension can you get with room gain? I have no idea - I don't know what your room is like.

Can't speak to the other designs having not heard them, but Mike's is very well documented. I know nothing about that transmission line. There's also a 16Hz folded horn design for the Trio 12 out there... do a search.
post #35 of 35 Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I wonder how the Trio12-TL would compare to the SDX that Oklahoma Wolf designed? Which is the easier cabinet to build? They both look very good. I have narrowed down my search to the Trio12-TL or Oklahoma Wolfs SDX or LiL Mikes F-20. Looking for some more input from you guys re: these subs?

Ok so I have definitely narrowed it down to the Trio12-TL vs Oklahoma Wolfs SDX vs LiL Mikes F-20.

My biggest and most important question is, between these 3 (Ok Wolfs SDX, F-20, & the Trio12-TL) which is the easiest cabinet to build?

I also want to hear some of the forum members' opinions on how they compare?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page