DIY Sub in Entertainment console? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have suggestions for doing a DIY sub that is built into a custom entertainment console? I was thinking sealed front firing 12".

Something like this design with two subs on each side? Opinions, suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I was thinking about the very same thing. I just purchased a new HDTV, so the old stand must go.

However, I was contemplating raising the entire thing off the floor 4" like a kitchen cabinet and porting the sub out through the toekick area.

Where do you plan on housing your equipment?

Tim

ICC Certified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
||

post #3 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

The picture is a little deceiving and maybe not to scale, that area is 88" wide so the horizontal space between the center and subs would be 18" wide which should be plenty of space for the AVR, DVR and XBOX. The openings for the subwoofer would be ~ 20".

The "drawers" would actually just be a panel door or I may change it to be a glass door. I don't mind seeing electronics but for aesthetics keeping them hidden and using an IR repeater might be best. It is all still a work in progress.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I am far from an expert, but I was thinking a single 15" ported sub on each end. Depends on what you're going for.. but I think the single ported 15 on each end would dig deeper with less power.

Right now I'm gearing up to build some F-20's.. but this will be the next project.

I was going to incorporate a tv lift in the center and the end cabs would be taller to accommodate some towers. I'm interested in what you are planning and trading some ideas..

I design in autocad, so I don't know if we can swap details.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #5 of 9 Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 PM

Liked: 14
You might want to check out this thread for some stand ideas http://www.avsforum.com/t/470259/build-you-own-byo-tv-stand

Here is link to a post on the unit I built http://www.avsforum.com/t/470259/build-you-own-byo-tv-stand/1200#post_19634015

Later I installed two LMS Ultras, that thread is here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1349340/lms-5400-ultra-x2-build

I opted to build separate boxes other than build them in to isolate the subs a bit. I would have netted more enclosure volume building in, but I think I made the right choice.

I think the overwhelming opinion around here would to buiild the biggest and best you can afford. Front firing is the is the easiest solution. If you have no backs on the sub compartments and the stand is away from the wall, a rear ported design could be done. Maybe even a dual opposed. Enclosure volume may become a problem the the dual opposed though.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for linking that thread, RDK! It's huge so I will have to peruse after work. Also, congratulations on your entertainment center. It gave me a few ideas smile.gif

I though about building sub enclosures and just inserting them into the cabinet, but am leaning toward a built-in solution with some less expensive 15 or 18 inch drivers. Sounds like the OP is also looking at a built-in solution.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

RDK, I have been looking in that byo and yours looks awesome. For the aesthetics I'm only allowed to do the 25" tall cabinet so I'm trying to determine how to incorporate speakers, subs, electronics, etc. The DIY subs seems like a great idea and if I can make the box slide fit into the enclosure that could be pretty slick and less permanent for upgrades and moving.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If your display, optical player, amplification, et cetera are all going to be coupled to your enclosure as I think you're intending, I'd definitely put some thought into dual opposed. That way the mechanical vibrations don't go straight into all of your expensive electronics. I know, they'd probably be fine, but it definitely seems safer to avoid the extra vibrations if you can. You could go out each side or one firing forward and one backward. They could share a volume of air or be separate.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-22-2012, 04:03 AM

Liked: 11
While your idea is visually appealing, it is going to be a SONIC crapshoot. The placement of the subs in the room may not yield the bass performance that you are seeking. The benefit of separate subwoofers is the ability to place them in the room to optimize their performance.

Good Luck,

Bill C
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page