DiY speaker stands questions and advice input. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hello everyone. new to the forum and new to the diy speaker build world.

im starting a DIY speaker stand project. ive done some research and most diy projects have lead me to this site. so i decided to join and ask away, i hope you guys dont mind.

ive considered many methods and it seems im sticking with the most popular which is the "tnt style" ( pvc pipe ). im trying to spend the least i cant so im trying to use materials i have access to.

there is one material however which im trying not to spend any money. and that is the "filling" material, which most likely be sand. i really dont want to buy sand! plus i dont want to buy a 50 lb bag and have alot of left over and not ever use it again. so my main question is regarding this subject. what else besides can be used?... im an auto technician and one thing that came to mind was to use the material left when we resurface brake rotors/drums. what is your input about using that fine metal shaving material? as far as weight it would be great since im looking for my stands to be heavy since i have a 2 year old running around the house and i dont want any tip overs.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
50lb of sand is like $4
post #3 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

so sand its the only thing that can be used as "filler"?
post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 01:09 PM

I've seen people mention using cat litter. I'm sure the metal shavings would be fine if they are packed dense enough, but I think most people use sand. Try it and let us know. Heck, you could try both and let us know if there is a difference. If so, we'll have audiophiles lining up at Brake Checks all over the nation asking if they can get some metal shavings...smile.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 248

Make sure its dried sand or you'll be wasting time drying it out.

www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202007298/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

$4.57 for 50lbs

post #6 of 7 Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Actually, you ought to line up at the local copier depot asking for spent developer...

If you're adding mass, and want a lot, then it's fairly obvious that you should go with the highest density material you can get. Sand is good because it flows, and folks lifting a bag think it's very dense. It's not, only 50% higher than water. For cheap weight, lead is hard to beat (10x water) if you can find it (commercial lead has disappeared due to environmental impacts).
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/density-solids-d_1265.html

The only caveat to your fine metal shavings are the solvents used to lubricate the cutting head and the "fluffiness" of shavings. Packing density is a critical factor for this material in your application. Plus, it means you can't run any wires up the inside. I've used xerographic carrier (iron ferrite), which flows like sand, and packs as well, but weighs almost as much as pure iron.

Have fun,
Frank
post #7 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 05:45 PM

Liked: 10
Could always go to a fairly large welding/milling/fab metal work facility and see if they have any leftover slabs of steel in their salvage bin. Thats what I did and paid salvage price, varies from day to day, got a couple 1.25" thick steel slabs (80lbs) as the base for my stands. Welded some salvage tube steel for a 32" height stand and had them painted, all for under $40.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page