sonotube vs. box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi everybody I was curious if there is any difference in the sound quality or sonic characteristics between a sealed sonotube and well made box for a sub enclosure? It seems like a sonotube would be less expensive and the following thread had me thinking of stacking two of these in a corner with the top driver close to the ceiling like bosso to help with room modes.

http://cdn.avsforum.com/3/39/525x700px-LL-398d68fe_dual15_sealed_T.jpeg

I was also wondering if you could wrap the tube or complete the area around the tube with acoustic absorption material to the wall to make it look sqaure instead of a tube to act as a bass trap. Not quite sure how to explain what I'm thinking with that idea but hopefully somebody will understand. This is just an idea as it will probably be atleast until next summer before I upgrade.

Any comments, ideas or feedback would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilesone View Post

Hi everybody I was curious if there is any difference in the sound quality or sonic characteristics between a sealed sonotube and well made box for a sub enclosure?
No difference if the internal volume is the same. Sono would be easier to build, and if it suits your aesthetics, why not? If you were building a single floor to ceiling enclosure, then there would be an internal enclosure resonance in/close to the sub passband. But for the dimensions you're talking about, using the image as a guide, it will be fine.
Quote:

It seems like a sonotube would be less expensive and the following thread had me thinking of stacking two of these in a corner with the top driver close to the ceiling like bosso to help with room modes.
Half way up the wall with a pair of the drivers will help with the 1st height mode.
Quote:

http://cdn.avsforum.com/3/39/525x700px-LL-398d68fe_dual15_sealed_T.jpeg
I was also wondering if you could wrap the tube or complete the area around the tube with acoustic absorption material to the wall to make it look sqaure instead of a tube to act as a bass trap. Not quite sure how to explain what I'm thinking with that idea but hopefully somebody will understand. This is just an idea as it will probably be atleast until next summer before I upgrade.
Any comments, ideas or feedback would be great.
If you mean build a superchunk absorber by making it square in section, then no. They rely in a lot of depth of material which yours wouldn't have as there'd be a hulking great sono in the middle, taking (I assume) most of the CSA. Wrapping it with dense fibreglass such as OC703 would be useful from a couple of hundred Hz up, but not as a bass trap.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-24-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool, thanks for the help.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page