Old Audiomobile Mass 12, blown or bad connection in sub. Can it be fixed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am not sure what exactly is wrong with it. Sounds like a rattle or scratching at a certain point. I tried it in parallel with another sub that works well, and that scratching noise happens on both subs. Maybe something is causing the speaker to lose it's connection in the sub at certain excursion points for a very short time? If I move the speaker by hand when it's not being powered, I don't hear any scratching noise.

Any way to remove part of the speaker like the spider or what else I might want to check and then reattaching it?

Or are there any other uses for it, like I don't know as a passive radiator or find a recone kit?

I hate having something that seems like it should be fixable or used to just be thrown away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-24-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

It seems that there was a loose connection or something right under the spider. I moved the sub up and down a couple times and I could feel something down there, might have been wires going to the voice coil. But I did a little massage and trying to see if anything was stuck or messed up by feel. Then if I could get it unstuck or working without the scratching noise again. It seems to have worked! I don't hear that scrape sound anymore. Looks like it's time to build a box for this bad boy now.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Glad you got it fixed. Never throw those bad boys away, the driver is still very good compared to today's models and the motor assembly alone has value.

JP
post #4 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you blow it, I know a guy with 2 factory replacement coils. Probably the only 2 left in the entire world. If your scratching issue comes back, you may need a recone and this would be your only option to get it back to factory specs.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Well it's working great, I now have it in a 4 foot tall 18" diameter sonotube, tuned to ~18hz. and it's flat to 13.5hz in my room. sounds amazing.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page