Laminate Edge Finishing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I've searched the forum for ideas on how to get a professional finish when applying laminate to a box. By professional, I mean... Straight from the factory look.

This thread references the exact laminate I plan on utilizing for my subwoofer box build and seems to be the closest I could get. Here is a quick pic for reference:

BlackAshLaminate.jpg
BlackAshLaminate2.jpg

There is access to a .pdf file for installation instructions on that thread and it seems the "exacto" knife is the popular choice for finishing out a laminate application. However, I want the black ash laminate I will be applying to my new subwoofer boxes to match the Klipsch Reference black ash 5.1 set-up I currently have. I've attached a few snapshots of the finishing on my Klipsch speakers. Same grain and color as the parts express laminate, but notice how the edges are bonded together:

IMG_2561.jpg
IMG_2565.jpg
IMG_2567.jpg
*Note how the grain is not continuous, so I have to conclude that Klipsch uses a wood veneer, thus allowing them to utilize other various finishing methods on the edges that would not be possible if working with laminate. Is that a safe conclusion/assumption?

I have a firm grasp on what it's going to take for the initial laminate application, but I have no clue how to finish edges like my Klipsch speakers. Is a "seamless" finish like this even possible with a vinyl application? If so, how? My goal is to have my entire setup look as though it came from the Klipsch factory with no hint of DIY. Absolutely no way an exacto knife can accomplish this, no matter how good one makes their cuts.

I've found tools, such as the Band-It vinyl edge trimmer, but after reading reviews it appears as though this product still leaves about a 1/16 edge overhang and you would still have to break out the exacto knife to get a flush cut. No dice for what I am trying to accomplish.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Never used vinyl, but perhaps you can just wrap it continuously around the corners? I'm not sure if expansion would be a problem.

Barring that, it doesn't seem like a razor would be a huge deal to do right. Turn it upside down so you follow the side of the box to trim the vinyl (ie you are trimming with "sticky side" up)

Tim
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've never worked with veneer or the laminate. What I'd do is try applying a small bit on some scrap wood to see what a corner would look like if you did two seperate pieces. Maybe it's possible to iron the edges to smooth them together. If the problem is there is a non-black wood seem visible, I'd try a sharpie on the edge or some paint.

Hopefully someone with experience will post.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

...I have to conclude that Klipsch uses a wood veneer..Is that a safe conclusion/assumption?
Some Reference models use wood veneer, some vinyl.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushi View Post

..try applying a small bit on some scrap wood to see what a corner would look like...
Always wise to test before committing your speakers to the process. FWIW You can wrap up one side, across the top, down the other side, and across the bottom. There will be one seam, located where no one will notice. Then you just have to deal with the seams on the front and back.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Always wise to test before committing your speakers to the process. FWIW You can wrap up one side, across the top, down the other side, and across the bottom. There will be one seam, located where no one will notice. Then you just have to deal with the seams on the front and back.

Thanks all for your input. Sounding like no luck with what I'm trying to accomplish. I guess I can just take some of these suggestions in mind and wing it the best I can.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Before installing the front and back MDF, Try folding the vinyl inside the enclosure allowing 1/8 of the vinyl to go inside the enclosure. Pre wrap the front and back MDF before installing allowing 1/8 of the vinyl to overlap the edges...

basically hide the edges inside the enclosure
post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
You can also install the Front and Back MDF 0.5 inch deeper into the enclosure to allow the vinyl to fold over.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page