Need help with budget build, slot enclosure with perhaps 3-4 drivers in each? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got a hold of two old slot-shaped horn tweeter PA cabinets today for free on CL. They are 31.5"x22.5"x5.5" (ID). My first idea was an under-the-couch subwoofer type setup using a shallow sub. This is still a possibility, but funds are tight and I want to experiment a bit. I was thinking of using multiple smaller drivers across the front (thin side) which should theoretically give me a wider soundstage with decent bass. I have no purpose of these other than to experiment. I was thinking 3 of these woofers for each:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-087

I could wire them in series to get 6 ohms. Because I'm a noob, I don't know what to do about the tweeter. PE doesn't have any cheap dome tweeters right now, so to keep it budget I would have to go cone tweeter, which I personally don't like. I will keep the crossover simple and probably just do a bandpass. How should I go about the tweeter? How can I match the levels? Can one tweeter keep up with 3 mids? Any and all help appreciated!

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Stick with the sub idea, you're not likely to get good sound from some hacked together full range speaker. Those woofers you linked only have 2.5mm xmax, so while they may do okay in a car, they will not handle a HT. Check out the Infinity reference woofers, they're the best value woofers around

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_18?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=infinity+reference+subwoofer&sprefix=infinity+reference%2Celectronics%2C165
post #3 of 3 Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would only have .5" clearance with the 10" version. Plus, the cost is there. I'm not looking for extreme extension; flat to around 60-80hz would be awesome.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page