Buttkickers, subs or combo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
About to order 10 theater chairs and not sure if I should have buttkickers installed. Would run about $3500 for setup with amps. Alternative is to do 4 21's sealed with amps, cost is about the same. Third option is a combo with buttkickers, fewer amps and 2 21's would cost a bit more. (already have 2 ported 18" jbl s1 synthesis subs) but they really don't go that deep. Room is 18'x20'x12'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Personally, I would wait until you've got your subs installed and dialed in, and then add buttkickers - but i do see the attraction of having them preinstalled. The two 21s with the two existing 18s, sounds like plenty for the room size - so if that leaves budget for the buttkickers now, go for it.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

You don't Think that room needs 4 21's for great LFE?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Take 30 of these : http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-028

I am sure you have room for 3 on each chair base. That would give you 12 ohms per chair wired in series. Wire 3 chairs together in parallel and you are back down to 4 ohms.

6 chairs each with 3 shakers in series, would give you (2) 4 ohm loads. ( 3 chairs per channel )

2 amps such as the Inuke 3000 DSP would suffice, and give you the ability to eq up the bottom end of the shakers, since that model starts to fall off around 40 hz or so.

One amp would drive 6 chairs with 4 ohm loads per channel, and the other would run 4 chairs ( wire shakers in series for 12 ohms per chair, then parallel 2 chairs together for 6 ohm loads on each channel )

A call to Parts Express would confirm whether or not you would qualify for the 'large quantity discount'. 30 x 39bucks = $1170, two Inuke 3000 DSP's would set you back $ 800.... screws, wire and connectors possibly another $ 100. That's $ 2070 compared to $ 3500. The amps would have to be mounted away from the listening area though, as the fan is loud when they ramp up. The built in DSP is very easy to navigate.

That could free up funds for a nice 21" in a proper enclosure with ample power. smile.gif

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #5 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

How are the aura's compared to the new buttkickers?
post #6 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post

Take 30 of these : http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-028

3 per chair is ridiculous... I have 1 per chair and if you are looking to simply add some tacticle feel to your set up this is MORE than adequate. Even with one per chair you can turn the aura up to the point where your vision blurs from the vibiration and it is totally unnatural feeling (basically a person will have no doubt that something is shaking the chair itself vs the perception of the actual subs shaking your furniture).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevo2u View Post

How are the aura's compared to the new buttkickers?

The buttkicker is a lot more powerful, but I guarantee... I would put my paycheck on the fact that you do not need a buttkicker per chair. Search on youtube for videos of the buttkicker. One video I saw you could physically see the loveseat shaking while a person is on it.

I have some more thoughts on this subject. I'll post more in a bit.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

3 per chair isn't really ridiculous when you eq up the bottom end to counter the sub 40 hz roll off. I had 4 on a couch frame in push pull, bolted onto opposing sides of a 1 1/2" laminated birch panel, and with eq on the bottom end, it was just enough at moderate levels. The levels need to be carefully set so that they aren't distracting, when balanced they add a greater sense of envelopment.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #8 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

The levels need to be carefully set so that they aren't distracting, when balanced they add a greater sense of envelopment.

+1

Prudent synergy wrt tactile amount, and most importantly time/signal alignment. I'm revamping much equipment etc currently, and I'm likely going with transducer rig after sub system is fully implemented and optimized. Then I'll carefully blend in a tactile rig.

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #9 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
My vote is for the 4 21in subs. My 18in's shake the crap out of my rather LARGE sectional. I'm sure the 21's will do the same for you but will also add to the 30hz and up frequencies.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

3 per chair isn't really ridiculous when you eq up the bottom end to counter the sub 40 hz roll off. I had 4 on a couch frame in push pull, bolted onto opposing sides of a 1 1/2" laminated birch panel, and with eq on the bottom end, it was just enough at moderate levels. The levels need to be carefully set so that they aren't distracting, when balanced they add a greater sense of envelopment.
How do you determine how much eq to add and at what frequeny? Then, since you typically y off the lfe out, how do you keep say audyysey from not eq ing the shakers? Just curious as I have a few sitting.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Apply boost 2nd order with a corner of 40 hz. I don't have Audessy on my ancient AVR, so I don't have that issue. The Aura's don't have a lot of mechanical clearance, so you may want to drop on a high pass filter as well, depending on your needs.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page