6 DIY eD A7S-650 kits with FP14K clone - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 249 Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yeah, no worries man! I've got a 3 year old and a 7 week old in the house and, yes, things get crazy. Hell, I'm happy to turn my system up to -20dB! I was just teasing a bit. I love reading about your experiments and I think we all learn a bit when someone tries something "real world" instead of posting WinISD plots or the like all the time.

But seriously, it is a fun and funny read on (all) your threads. It's like, "Hey man, I've got an ant problem. Do you have any suggestions? I tried Raid and that worked but I have this feeling that the ants are going to come back. Then I decided to get serious and tried DDT. Those ants are dead as f**k for like 3 months and I still haven't seen any but I'm starting to feel like they are going to come back. I decided to give NAPALM a try. This is the best ant killer I have ever experienced. Ants are nonexistent in my world. I couldn't be happier. Umm, I heard that thermonuclear warheads are the sh*t and the radiation will kill my ants for eternity. My NAPALM is for sale on super discount...."

Again, not trying to be a dick. I love reading your reports of experimentation. Just pointing out that it is a little comical when you think of it from a certain perspective...

SXRDork: SXRD is a technology. My name is Vann. Usernames are for life...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 249 Old 05-10-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
It is funny but I know exactly what it's like. A lot of us do. I think now I'm at the Point where if I want more bass ill just add more of the same drivers. Doing that right now actually. You can only fit so many subs in your space

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #243 of 249 Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDork View Post

Yeah, no worries man! I've got a 3 year old and a 7 week old in the house and, yes, things get crazy. Hell, I'm happy to turn my system up to -20dB! I was just teasing a bit. I love reading about your experiments and I think we all learn a bit when someone tries something "real world" instead of posting WinISD plots or the like all the time.

But seriously, it is a fun and funny read on (all) your threads. It's like, "Hey man, I've got an ant problem. Do you have any suggestions? I tried Raid and that worked but I have this feeling that the ants are going to come back. Then I decided to get serious and tried DDT. Those ants are dead as f**k for like 3 months and I still haven't seen any but I'm starting to feel like they are going to come back. I decided to give NAPALM a try. This is the best ant killer I have ever experienced. Ants are nonexistent in my world. I couldn't be happier. Umm, I heard that thermonuclear warheads are the sh*t and the radiation will kill my ants for eternity. My NAPALM is for sale on super discount...."

Again, not trying to be a dick. I love reading your reports of experimentation. Just pointing out that it is a little comical when you think of it from a certain perspective...

I understand and what is even funnier is I used to work for Orkin in the summer during College! I can relate on all levels! All this comes from analyzing my Data and looking back at past setups and such. Seeing what measures what and how each one sound in my room from LLT's, folded horns, ported, sealed, and tapped horns.
post #244 of 249 Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I've looked at getting a TermLab for my house SPL measurements on more than one occasion for this very reason.
It's designed specifically for measuring subs that output 120db and beyond.

It has 0.1db and 1hz resolution from 100hz to 10hz, has no moving parts, and remains indefinitely-perfectly-calibrated. (Or so I've read).

I've just about had it with my CM-140 and ECM8000 / omni mic, I have a hard time putting ANY faith in their accuracy. I don't believe half of the charts I see on AVS, not even my own.

The difference between a slow REW sinesweep vs Immortals is rather large.
Immortals has content at all frequencies, who knows, maybe you are outputing 120db of 1khz, which is throwing the meter off? wink.gif
post #245 of 249 Old 05-10-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nah, it only hits over 120 during very heavy bass scenes. Just think I have calmed down because I used to like pegging the meter past 126 dBs all the time. I could just turn it up 5 dBs and do the same and why I believe something was wrong with my measurements.
post #246 of 249 Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

OK guys just figured out my meter was bad because of a low battery. Replaced the battery and I got different numbers again. I never saved them though, I will get some up tonight. I am enjoying movies more and more and for some reason still looking to try something anyways. Hi, my name is James and I have a problem! biggrin.gif

Anywyas, I think I reached 130 dBs at 30hz with about 4% THD or something like that and my 10hz was 124 dBs with 8% THD. I was about 1.5 dBs down at 10hz from 20hz without EQ and I was starting to drop off at 6hz again like before. I wonder how 4 GHs would do in my room, any guesses? I am itching to try that monster tapped horn which gets about the same low end as a sealed LMS 5400 but with much more spl above 16hz. That means I would have about the same low end I have now except with much more midbass but would I use it?
post #247 of 249 Old 05-20-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

One more thing, I finally got around to getting spec labs working and I am fine tuning the settings. I posted some shots at Ricci's site and I want to get them close or just like Bosso's so I can help him get some nice screenshots of scenes. Besides, I also want to see how close my subs come to the digital feed as well.
post #248 of 249 Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still kicking myself for not picking those up! wink.gif

I'm glad you got it all sorted out! I can't wait to see some of your results!

What we should do next is do a major swap of sorts. I heard / read that Ricci may be selling two GHs, since he is fairly close to me, could deliever them and pickup some A7s-650s with me!

*insert evil laught here*

Wait, I shouldn't be feeding the need to for change! wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #249 of 249 Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I would still sell them but only as a set, most people wanted to part them out. I would trade GH's for them.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page