AVS Forum banner

6 DIY eD A7S-650 kits with FP14K clone

17K views 248 replies 53 participants last post by  MKtheater 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So I put this system together basically because I got a great deal and Alex at eD had told me they deliver lower frequencies better than the 190v2's I had before. I just needed more of them for the midbass region. You know me, I could not say no so here I am. I still have to paint them but you all have seen my unfinished DIY subs before. At least these don't have sonotube written on the outside.

Anyways, I wired them all as one sub going to my FP14K bridged. This is the first time I tried using multiple subs with one channel of amplification. I don't have to split the sub signal anymore at the output, yeah!

These are tiny little guys compared to everything else I have owned. I took some pics but the final pic was with my phone so I need to use my other camera so I will post new pics. I want to say that these are the first subs I did not need to run hot to feel the same effects as the DTS-10's. They actually feel stronger than the DTS-10's down low.

Here are some pics, I can't get my nearfield graph to load but I will try to resave it as a jpeg. It is a Mdat file some how.

I will do measurements and keep updating. I am getting two more DR speakers so the front stage will look just like my center channel with the subs on their sides going across the front. I am impressed with these little guys. Each sub weighs 200 pounds each!

See less See more
#3 ·
James...your threads always deliver!!

Your going to have 6 DR200's for the front stage plus those subs?!?!

It must be some peace of mind to know if Motorhead or Metallica show up unexpectedly at your house and feel like plugging in, you'll be good to go.

#8 ·
WHOA

and I thought 4 12s would be awesome haha

#10 ·
Just seats and bass traps like before. I have two wedge 8's in the corners. When I am finished I will have dual stacked arrays of DR-250's for my center and dual stacked DR-200's for the left and right with either the wedge 8's for surrounds or DR-250's.

#11 ·
I've read that having more than 4 subs, unless co-located, don't add much to the spl. Obviously that isn't the case right? I guess they are kind of co-located though...

Looks awesome man, 200 pounds a piece? eD makes some serious enclosures, huh?

So would you say this is the best the bass has ever sounded overall? I know you said the low end is amazing, just wondering if you feel there are any compromises whatsoever with this setup. What are the dimensions of the enclosures?

lots of questions...

#12 ·
Each enclosure is 16x16x38. The drivers weigh 60 pounds each and the enclosure is 80 pounds. Very robust! This is the best system yet, due to the low end. I have not lacked in the Midbass since I went DIY and these are no different.

#14 ·
How did you wire them ?, what was the resulting impedance with your wiring ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater  /t/1417924/6-diy-ed-a7s-650-kits-with-fp14k-clone#post_22175440

Anyways, I wired them all as one sub going to my FP14K bridged. This is the first time I tried using multiple subs with one channel of amplification. I don't have to split the sub signal anymore at the output, yeah!

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1417924/6-diy-ed-a7s-650-kits-with-fp14k-clone/0_100#post_22176173

underhung 3" coil with 28mm xmax that will eat 1200 watts continuous?

interesting.

if the coil is 1 inch high, that means the gap is about 2 inches? something doesn't seem right with those specs.

I don't think the specs are very accurate from my experience.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1417924/6-diy-ed-a7s-650-kits-with-fp14k-clone#post_22176279

the inductance in that one is a disaster scott. hopefully it is no where near as bad in the small drives.

Yeah. It's got quite a hump, eh. I don't know much about the intricacies of underhung drives but if the the power rating is accurate, it must be a rather wide gap and big, heavy coil. But...I'm just speculating.

#22 ·
That is just it, deepest flattest graph ever, do the specs matter at all? You guys loved my 190v2 system but this one is suspect? I don't know but the low end has never been better than the Danley's. I boosted the CHT's and came close to the DTS-10's. These are stronger than the DTS-10's on the same scenes without boost!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.