Plate amp speaker input impedance and running speakers and sub in parallel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Not the normal type of question for this forum, but I knew that the people that know the most about plate amps hang out here smile.gif

Two questions:

1) What is the impedance of the speaker level inputs on a plate amp? Specifically the kind that doesn't have any pass through for speaker level output?
2) Is it reasonable to run a pair of 8 ohm speakers in parallel with the sub--connected by the speaker level inputs--of a 2 channel amp?

Sorry for the oddball question, but here's the situation. I have an old HK 35 AVR that all the DSP burned out. Only the front L/R are left, and it still sounds great with a pair of speakers in a budget computer 2.0 setup. The HK can run 4 ohms no problem.

I'd like to hook a sub up to it. But since the sub line out is gone on the receiver and there is on the L/R out, that limits my options to budget subs that have speaker inputs and outputs, which is very limiting on the choices. On the other hand, if I can hook a sub with speaker level inputs in parallel with the speakers, that opens up my options a lot.

I've seen this kind of problem pop up in other budget 2.1 setups.

Thanks!

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Yes, it is reasonable. It is typically a high-resistance, voltage divider network. Whether it has a pass-through is a matter of convenience, as the pass-throughs are usually equipped with a simple 6dB hp filter. I just looked at a Klipsch BASH amp schematic. It looks like the high level inputs will present roughly a 220ohm load. In the electronics world, any parallel, resistive load that is 10x higher can safely be ignored. Hope this helps.

bg
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Cool. I was wondering if it would be that high. I wonder if the plate amps on all commercial subs are likely that high?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'd guess so, since most are expected to be run with front mains as well. I wouldn't think they'd include high-level inputs, if they didn't make sure it would not be a significant load on your amp or receiver.

bg