Minidsp help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-29-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Im going to be building a pair of line arrays and want to actively cross them and eq them with a minidsp. I have been doing alot of reading but unsure of which one to get. I see there is a rev A good to .9v and a rev B good to 2v and a balanced. I know I only want the 2x4. Is there one that is good all around for home audio equipment? I have Yamaha amplifiers and the usual home entertainment items (xbox, directv, bluray, turntable, iPod) but I plan on upgrading amplifiers later. So what's the usual model most people go with.

Also, will I be able to both eq and xover using one dsp, if so what plugin is necessary?

Lastly is minidsp.com the best place to purchase?

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 914
this came up in sherv's thread. mini dsp is about as crappy at marketing as anybody, but they have a good product. the advanced plugin for $10 is what you need for crossover, eq, etc.

higher voltage is always better as it keeps noise down, but the output voltage of your receiver is the question and guess what...most don't specify it, so it is a total sh)tshow unless you actually measure it. balanced is better but you need to hardwire it or use oddball connectors--phoenix to xlr.

i can't believe something this useful is such a mess.

i know...not much help...but maybe in the sense that you won't feel like you are the only guy lost and confused in minidsp land. :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-29-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank LTD02, as always you step in and are a huge help. I know that the two unbalanced versions are the same, just come from the factory set differently and you can change them if needed. I think I may just go with the unbalanced as I don't want to have to do all the hard wiring, I can take RCA cables and go from my preamp to my amps. That sound ok?

Oh and thanks for the tip on the plug in

Dan
post #4 of 14 Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

there was a report, i forget who, where the unbalanced version introduced noise via a gound loop. if you hook it all up and get a big 60hz buzz, don't fret, there may be simple solutions.

but also don't be scared away, as there are several folks running the unbalanced with no noise at all.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well now you got me thinking. If I got the balanced would I be ok to use it with my home audio gear that has RCA plugs only? If I can just hard wire some rcas to it and be fine with the voltage matching (I'm assuming the balanced is adjustable as well) then it might give me more options later if I ever decide to go with pro amps.

In a nutshell which would you get?

Dan
post #6 of 14 Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

optical. :-)

seriously, the unbalanced should work ok for you since your equipment is unbalanced to start. if by chance you happen to hit a ground loop and end up with humm, we can figure that out later.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, that's what I ended up ordering was the unbalanced. If I end up upgreading to a pro amp ill get a balanced. I plan on buying a mic and preamp and doing some measurements. So I may end up selling off the oaudio and getting a pro amp if I cant get a decent in room measurement.

Thanks
Dan
post #8 of 14 Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I simply did a chassis ground to the outlet that the powersupply was plugged into. Simple fix......
post #9 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Rev A, and realized I may need to go with the Balanced version for my EP2500. It sucks but may be cheaper to buy a ART Clean Box or something.

Panasonic TC P65s2
Onkyo TX-NR708
2 Beheringer EP2500's
4 Power Acoustik Mofo 15's (6.9 Cubes tuned to 18Hz). Cabinets still need to be built.
PS3/Xbox360
HDMI Set Top Box
Belkin PF60
1 Yamaha NS-C444
2 Yamaha NS-777
4 Yamaha NS-333
post #10 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is there a easily understandable step by step tutorial for novices like me on how to set up minidsp & what else I need with the unit for setup? I want to replace my Velodyne SMS-1 as my 2 subs are not equidistant & I am looking for something that will time-align 2 subs properly in addition to eq.

Vinod
post #11 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Is there a easily understandable step by step tutorial for novices like me on how to set up minidsp & what else I need with the unit for setup? I want to replace my Velodyne SMS-1 as my 2 subs are not equidistant & I am looking for something that will time-align 2 subs properly in addition to eq.

I don't know of a tutorial, but are you talking for adjusting volume? One sub would have to be a great distance from you to notice any difference between subs as far as the sound reaching your ear.

Dan
post #12 of 14 Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The rear subs are going to be about 6ft closer to main listening position than front subs therefore I am looking at miniDSP for both EQing subs as well as adjusting delay to properly time align rear subs to the front. Is there a resource where I can look up as to what mic/preamp I need with miniDSP & how to set it up for EQ/time alignment of subs?

Vinod
post #13 of 14 Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it possible to use MiniDSP just to add additional delay to the sub in the back so that both front & back subs are equidistant?

Vinod
post #14 of 14 Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
to answer your last question "yes" it can add just delay but it can do much more.

google "room eq wizard tutorial" and you'll find what you need.

If you don'g get a mic, etc. you can use miniDSP to tune by ear. Adding delay via the MiniDSP's GUI would be just like playing with the "phase" knob on a conventional subwoofer.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page