Help with choosing tweeter for line array. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So as some know I'm building a line array reference setup. I ordered 24 Dayton rs150t for 12 per side. I was informed if I plan on crossing at 2000hz then I would need a line of tweeters 2 ft in length or longer (full length of the array is best).

So I have it narrowed down to three contenders.

First is the Dayton PT2C
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-085
I could afford to do 4 of these per side which would give me a line 26" in length and I would eventually finish of the line in another year or so with 9 per side.

Next is BG neo8
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-713
Again 4 per side for a length of about 32" and would later finish off with 8 per side. I heard the top end is a little rolled off and would benefit from some toe in

And third
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-010
Used in the cbt array and I could easily afford to do the whole line in one time. Looks like it crosses low. The bad is the 66 db sensitivity. I don't know how accurate that is but if it is a whole line will not be all that efficient. Plus that's alot of hope to drill.

Which would you choose? If a full line of the neo8s or Dayton's will be better than the little cbt tweeters than I'd rather start with a small line now and finish the line latter so the finished product will be better overall

This will be managed by a mini dsp and if possible id like to cross between 1500-2000 to avoid comb filtering and cone break up of the rs150t

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alright scratch that, I'm going with the neo8 PDR.

so questions: can the high end roll off be augmented with the minidsp?

How low should my crossover point be, and how much volume should I have behind the drivers?

Thanks,

Dan
post #3 of 4 Old 07-04-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I would start by asking why are you building a "line array".

is it for looks? Or because somebody said it was "cool"? Or for some performance reason? If a performance reason-what is it? Is sound quality important to you?

There are a lot of misconceptions out there

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

I would start by asking why are you building a "line array".
is it for looks? Or because somebody said it was "cool"? Or for some performance reason? If a performance reason-what is it? Is sound quality important to you?
There are a lot of misconceptions out there

They have always fascinated me, the first speaker I ever built was a line array. I was 12 then and have built a few between, all full range drivers. This will be my second two way. My attitude was always "just build" but I'm wanting assistance now because I'm married and money doesn't flow so I have one shot at this. Yes they do look cool, and they're dynamic. Sound quality is important but I never really sit for a serious listening session. 80% HT, 10% wife wants to listen to jams while she cleans, 10% mix of me throwing on a good record or playing some 360. I know a line array has many thing going against it, but has many things going for it as well. Every speaker has its faults and until the perfect speaker is found I'll keep playing. smile.gif

Dan
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page