Sealed Dayton 15" RSS390HO-4 Project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two Dayton Reference 15" HO drivers left from a project and decided to put them to use. I plan on a sealed enclosure. I will probably start construction this weekend but wanted to make sure I'm doing this right. Here's what I have in mind:

One Dayton driver per cab. The cabinet will have an internal volume of 3cuft. I will be building it out of 3/4" MDF, and double up for the front baffle (2 3/4" MDF sheets glued together). And it will have a brace in the middle of the cabinet. The driver will be flush mounted.

This subwoofer is for a fairly small room (2100cuft), and won't be used at reference levels. My goals are 1) flat output, down to 20Hz if possible. (I have an EQ for it). and 2) Decent output, though I'm not expecting reference.

Is this an ideal cabinet volume for the HO driver? I'm open to any suggestions for improvement. I would like to stay sealed if possible though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
hi there. there is not really an "ideal" sealed enclosure size for any driver. there are advantages and drawbacks to both large and small.

3 cubic feet, net, sealed for that driver is fine.

here are some different configurations (2, 3, and 4 cubic feet sealed, and a 4 cubic foot ported with 22hz tuning).

if you have a medium size room, you will get some natural boost starting around 25-30hz, so the sealed won't roll off as fast as in the model.

the model is for one sub and one watt.

bottom line: if you want to use a sealed, 3 cubic feet is fine, as you don't gain much by going larger.

edit: and for an amp, something around 300-500 watts per driver would be good. if you go with a higher powered amp, you might damage your driver with sub bass tracks. two of your sealed subs will actually get pretty loud with that much power.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Would I be better off going ported? These are for a bedroom system, so I am a bit constrained size wise. (a 24" cube is the largest I can fit) I should probably also say this will mainly be for music listening, I have a dedicated theater that I watch almost all my movies in. I'm pretty new to DIY subs and speakers, so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

post #4 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

for your application, your sealed plan of around 3.0 cubic feet per driver should be great. if you were almost all movies and games, then i might nudge you to go bigger and ported. for what you are doing, you are on the right track.

there is very little content below about 30hz in music and you are going to get some gain if you place the boxes along the walls or in the corners of your room.

the model is what is called 2pi space. it is like putting the subs in the middle of a field. in a room you get gain. the smaller the room, the more gain.

have you selected an amp yet?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

I just replaced a Crown XTi 1000 in the theater, I was thinking of trying that before buying anything.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

that's perfect.

you have a good build plan, good drivers, and the right amp for your application. why are you posting all these questions? ;-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I figured it would be best to ask the pros first. smile.gif Thanks for all your help!

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Dayton Audio Rss390ho 4 15 Reference Ho Subwoofer 4 Ohm
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page