Should I keep, modify or scrap 24" NeoDan cube w/ 18" Gen II Mal-X - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-08-2012, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I currently have a sealed 24" cube, sealed enclosure with a Gen II Mal-X (first run of Gen II drivers, not from the defective batch that killed Kevin's business frown.gif). Sub is currently in storage as I was sent overseas for a two year tour and wieght restrictions made the sub a casualty.

While in Cambodia, I built two 16" sealed cubes with Eminence LAB 12 drivers. These subs sound pretty good, but are only good to about 30 Hz. They are used as flanking subs for my 4 Pi speakers per advice from Wayne Parham.

The sealed Mal-X didn't extend all that deep in my open basement home theater (~ 18 ft x 50 ft x 9 ft). So, I am considering my options when I return to the states in a year (1 yr down, 1 more to go).

Option 1: Do nothing, just spplement with the LAB-12 with the sealed Mal-X powered by a pro amp (I am thinking the Crest Audio PRO LITE 3.0 DSP). I was using an Adcom GFA 555 (I know it is inadequate for the task, but it didn't blow it up even at pretty high levels [~ - 5 dB THX reference]).

Option 2: Convert the sealed box into a vented design by adding a slot port (could tune to 15 Hz without destroying the lood of the current build). I know th box is not the optimal size for vented, but it is already built.

Option 3: Gut the current enclosurte completely and build the LLT box used by Scott Simonian, per Scott the Mal-X models well in that enclosure. I may play around with HxWxD dimensions but not overall volume or tuning.

I have modeled in WinISD and option 1 and 2 will produce greater SPL than the LLT due to cone excursion issues (I am not very good at replicating other peoples modeling with WinISD).

For plan 1 and 2, at or slightly past Xmax, I modeled the following (100 Hz HPF, 2nd order Butterworth, relative to 50 Hz): -3dB - 26.37 vented, 32.79 sealed; -6 dB - 18.91, 24.71; -10 dB - 14.26, 18.5. Room gain may add a low end boost, but the space is very large without any internal walls.

My attempt to model Scott's LLT w/ MAL-X:

Goal is to use this sub only to suppport below the capability of the LAB-12 subs. I am thinking of adding one of the 18" JBL Professional cinema subs (4645C) later for devistating midbass, they are good down to about 30 Hz.

Any advise would be great. The wife doesn't want me to get rid of the current box, but I can if it will make a huge difference.

Thanks for reading! Any advice would be great.

Varibus Mari Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-08-2012, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Made a lot of corrections to the original post, my editing skills are lacking!

Varibus Mari Victoria
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page