Building custom Speakers Help NEEDED - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was looking into buying a pair KEF Q900 SPEAKERS, then thought about building my own. Dose anybody have any advice. And know any online Stores for cones wire ect. Also any recommendations on Wood? Also thought about using concrete. but not sure.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePrater View Post

Dose anybody have any advice.

Based on your post above I'd recommend buying the KEF's. If you're set on building your own read this link before proceeding:

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy-faqs-provendesigns

Lots of proven designs out there you could build and customize the enclosure to your setup smile.gif
post #3 of 11 Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The fundamental question is what are you looking for, a pair of speakers, or a long-term past time? That's part of what lennon_68's poking at.

DIY speaker design is a hobby, so it takes a lot of time, and you spend far more money on your first one than required to just build a speaker. But, it's a hobby with levels of involvement - you don't have to dive into the deep end. The question becomes how deep you want to go?
- can you assemble a kit that only needs a screwdriver?
- can you build a box that looks nice enough that you'd want it in your living space?
- can you solder comonents into a crossover from a circuit diagram?

Kits are available at each level, from screwdriver-only assembly to a bag pf parts and instructions. Clearly the former has little associated cost beyond a pricey kit, while you'll need some woodworking skills and tools to build a box.

Note that I haven't mentioned crossover design, as that's another layer of associated cost (measurement rig) and a lot of learning even if you have a basic electronics background. However it one that's easily bypassed due to the availability of lots of "proven designs" that have been built by multiple users. HEre's the master list.
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?211558-Links-to-existing-DIY-speaker-designs

And for parts, PE is one source, Mensicus, Madisound are others, and that just a start.

Have fun,
Frank
post #4 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 View Post

Based on your post above I'd recommend buying the KEF's. If you're set on building your own read this link before proceeding:
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy-faqs-provendesigns
Lots of proven designs out there you could build and customize the enclosure to your setup smile.gif

Why do you recommend buying the Kef's? Because DIY doesn't pay or because he is asking for advice which leads one to believe he doesn,'t know what he is doing?

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #5 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If you're good with the wood working aspect already, you can definitely get a high end design for the $900 price of the Kef's. You wont have much luck finding a large coaxial design though.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-14-2012, 11:25 PM

Liked: 10
http://www.parts-express.com
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com

2 good sites that have kits, barebones and pre-assembled kits ready to go.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

Why do you recommend buying the Kef's? Because DIY doesn't pay or because he is asking for advice which leads one to believe he doesn,'t know what he is doing?
If he had the skills required to knock off the KEFs himself he wouldn't be asking the question. If he wants to DIY he need not be an expert, he can just build a design created by someone who is, but that likely won't be a KEF knock-off. Or he can go through the years long learning curve to gain the skills to knock off the KEF, and by the time he does he'll probably realize it wasn't such a great idea anyway, that he can do better.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

I wouldn't generally point anyone away from DIY but based on the original post, and the questions posed there, I felt it was the best recommendation in this case. As Frank pointed out DIY speakers isn't nearly as easy to pick up as DIY subs. Reading the OP it sounds like DIY speakers was more of an afterthought to save money than a long term hobby kind of thing. Just based on that assumption I may have suggested seeking out a proven design to build (which could still be an option) but the questions posed: "any online Stores for cones wire ect. Also any recommendations on Wood? Also thought about using concrete. but not sure." make it clear that the OP lacks even a basic understanding of what components are used in a speaker. Hence the recommendation, in this case, to buy the KEF's redface.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 129
If you don't specifically "want" to DIY then go with the KEF's. DIY can be a value proposition, but I'd generally say it is not because of initial woodworking tool costs and the difficulty of executing a retail grade finish. If you want to try DIY primarily for the enjoyment of building something, than it is a good route although you likely won't save much. You should also choose kit based projects preferably with flatpack (screw together) cabinets or completed cabinets.

I haven't heard the KEF and rarely listen to retail speakers in this price range, but KEF has a good reputation and I generally like their technology. For retail it is probably a good choice. For a little more money, I'd go with JTR T8's though for sure.

Now, if you can sacrifice a little on appearance and you are willing to wait a little, Erich H, an AVSer will be offering flatpack kits for the SEOS waveguide designs. He hasn't released pricing yet, but you should be able to build a similar sized tower to the KEF's that will be head and shoulders beyond it in performance for about the same price or less. I'm not sure what the finish will look like though. If you are more interested in performance than aesthetics and your significant other won't get mad, I'd suggest this route. It shouldn't require anything more than a screwdriver and drill. You can even forego soldering by using terminal blocks.

Check out this thread for some more details: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1291022/hey-guys-we-need-a-little-rallying-here/4560_60#post_22220019
post #10 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
two of the three "woofers" are passive radiators, i.e. they don't do anything a port wouldn't do, so you are left with an 8" woofer system. i don't think a single 8" cuts the mustard.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-15-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The Kef definitely wont compete with higher quality DIY designs.

The woofers breakup isn't taken care of with the crossover, only being about 7-8db down in level from 7.5-8.5khz. The peak at 1.8khz will also be fairly audible. Being a 2.5 way design it would be interesting to see the effects of cone excursion on the coaxial unit with some high output measurements.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page