Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 105 Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathu126 View Post

Here they are. All 9 cabinets ready for primer/ paint.
0ceefe0220121220192337.jpg

Plan on applying primer this Saturday.

That is a fantastic picture!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Hello all, so sorry for taking so long to complete this build. I have been working hard. It's just slow. Speakers have been painted for a while but I've been painting the basement, putting floors down, doing tile, etc.... Now I finally have carpet down in the theater and am putting the speakers together. Here's a pic of the finished Stentorians. Sorry for the crappy image.

Here are the finished Sten II's. Just 2. The other 2 are finished I promise.

Now, I am ready to complete the subs as well and I realized that I am completely ignorant as to how to connect them. So, I will explain what I have and I hope the experts can tell me exactly how to hook these up to get the best possible sound.

I have normal 14 gauge speaker wire running from my av closet to my sub locations. The subs are passive. I have a Crown XLS1000 to drive them. What I need to know is exactly how to 1) Wire each speaker within the subwoofer (Infinity Reference 1262W). These are DVC 4 ohm subs. I am not sure how to wire them to the binding posts that I put on the back of the subs. 2) What to terminate the ends of the speaker wires with to plug into the amp. 3) How to connect to the amp and in what mode.

Sorry for the silly questions but I've never done this before. Here is a pic of the back of the amp:

As always, all help is greatly appreciated. I'm in the home stretch and am ready to see how this system sounds.

Thanks,

Matt
post #93 of 105 Old 06-28-2013, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Although I can't tell you how to connect your driver to the binding post as I am not sure if you want a 4 ohm or 2 ohm load, but. I would terminate the ends of the speaker wire that go from the binding post on the cabinets to the amp with spekon(sp?) connectors. Then just hook up the positive and negative to the amps speakon post. Then use a RCA to XLR cable for your amp to your receiver.
post #94 of 105 Old 06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
What I need to know is exactly how to 1) Wire each speaker within the subwoofer (Infinity Reference 1262W). These are DVC 4 ohm subs. I am not sure how to wire them to the binding posts that I put on the back of the subs.

Quote:

2) What to terminate the ends of the speaker wires with to plug into the amp.

Bare speaker wire, to binding post.

Quote:
 3) How to connect to the amp and in what mode.

Connect 1 sub to one channel.

post #95 of 105 Old 06-28-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Bare speaker wire, to binding post.

Connect 1 sub to one channel.

Thanks for the replies Marty and Mrkazador. So, from your image, I jumper one of the voice coils and then just wire the positive to positive and negative to negative. My plan was to wire them both at 4 ohms for a 4 ohm load at the amp. If I wire both subs like you show, would I connect 1 of them to each amp channel or would I bridge them? If I bridge them, would I just shove both positives into the positive binding post on the amp and both negatives into the negative binding post on the amp?

I think I understand the connection from the amp to my receiver. Just run an RCA to XLR cable.

Thanks,

Matt
post #96 of 105 Old 06-28-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250

Those drivers are rated for 300w rms and I'm not sure how much power the XLS1000 can output bridged. Probably be fine as long as you don't play sine waves through them. Wiring them to each channel is probably the safest but not sure if the amp will provide enough power at 8ohms per channel.

This site will give you a wiring diagram

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

post #97 of 105 Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for all the advice. I built the subs up, connected them internally as in the image above and hooked them up to the amp in bridged mode. They sound really good. I'm not sure they are putting out the amount of bass I expected though. I suppose maybe it still needs to be optimized. Not sure how to do this exactly but I'll keep reading. I did purchase equipment to be able to measure the system once it gets completely hooked up (Tascam MKii 122 and a Dayton Mic). I'll try to run REW on the system later on. I also plan to go ahead and order the Speakon connector to be able to hook the wires up a little more neatly. I'll get the XLR to RCA cable as well to run from the receiver to the AMP as Martycool mentioned.

Thanks,

Matt
post #98 of 105 Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Regarding the Speakon connectors, for anybody that has used them, if my intention is to hook the two wires frrom the two subs together and to the amp in bridged mode, would I use the 2 pole or the 4 pole Speakon connector? My thought is that this is what the 4 pole is designed for but I'm not sure. If someone is using the Speakon, please let me know how you hooked it up.

Thanks,

Matt
post #99 of 105 Old 06-30-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention on the thread that I also ran coax cables to each of my sub locations. I remembered hearing a while ago that subs could be connected via coax cable. Would this option be better than the 14 gauge speaker wire that I ran and if so, what would be the preferred method for connecting?

Thanks,

Matt
post #100 of 105 Old 06-30-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Coax would be for powered subs (amp built into / next to the sub) - speaker wire for unpowered subs (amp located with the rest of the gear)
post #101 of 105 Old 07-21-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for everyone's input on this build. For the subs, I ended up ordering the RCA to XLR to go from the receiver to the amp and then used the speakon connectors to hook the individual sub cables into the amp. I first hooked both cables up in the same speakon connector but then separated them and have them going to each channel now. Don't know which is the better choice. Advice would be appreciated there. It sounded good both ways.

I plan on setting up REW once everything is complete. Right now, since my screen hasn't come in yet (ordered on 5/2 and still waiting), I have some white material kind of like a sheet hanging and I am using it to watch movies. It's not great but it will do. I don't have the surround and rear surround speakers hung yet. They are so large, I'm still trying to figure out how I want to hang them. If you remember, I build the Stenn II's from Speaker Design Works as my surrounds. They are about 20 pounds apiece. If anyone knows of a good, reasonably priced speaker mount or a DIY idea, let me know.

I am still trying to figure out my masking as well. I bought a linear actuator and I have my black velvet on order. Just need to figure out the mechanism itself.

Also, a funny thing is happening with my sound system. It sounds great all around. I have a HTPC set up and every time I turn it on, I get an awful humming/ buzzing noise from the speakers. Would anyone have any ideas about this or how to get rid of it? It's only the PC that does it. I also have the DIrectv receiver, my PS3 and a Bluray player connected and none of them have the same problem.

Anyway, that's where I am now. Almost finished.

Matt
post #102 of 105 Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Thanks again for everyone's input on this build. For the subs, I ended up ordering the RCA to XLR to go from the receiver to the amp and then used the speakon connectors to hook the individual sub cables into the amp. I first hooked both cables up in the same speakon connector but then separated them and have them going to each channel now. Don't know which is the better choice. Advice would be appreciated there. It sounded good both ways.

I plan on setting up REW once everything is complete. Right now, since my screen hasn't come in yet (ordered on 5/2 and still waiting), I have some white material kind of like a sheet hanging and I am using it to watch movies. It's not great but it will do. I don't have the surround and rear surround speakers hung yet. They are so large, I'm still trying to figure out how I want to hang them. If you remember, I build the Stenn II's from Speaker Design Works as my surrounds. They are about 20 pounds apiece. If anyone knows of a good, reasonably priced speaker mount or a DIY idea, let me know.

I am still trying to figure out my masking as well. I bought a linear actuator and I have my black velvet on order. Just need to figure out the mechanism itself.

Also, a funny thing is happening with my sound system. It sounds great all around. I have a HTPC set up and every time I turn it on, I get an awful humming/ buzzing noise from the speakers. Would anyone have any ideas about this or how to get rid of it? It's only the PC that does it. I also have the DIrectv receiver, my PS3 and a Bluray player connected and none of them have the same problem.

Anyway, that's where I am now. Almost finished.

Matt

I would leave the subs connected one to each channel. I am not sure if you wired them for 8 ohms or 4 ohms, if it were me, I would have wired them for 4 ohms running one off of each channel of your Crown XLS1000. As far as the hum is concerned, you most likely have a ground loop. Normally these are due to the cable box as the installers rarely make sure to ground them properly. I would turn every thing on and when the hum starts, disconnect the cable from the cable box, and if this makes the hum go away, then that is your culprit and as such you will need to do some checking of the ground connections on the cable line coming into the house. You might also look for a ground loop isolator from Parts Express or even Amazon.
post #103 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Upon further review, I have found that the noise is actually coming from the projector. Again, when I switch the input to my HTPC, it starts the noise. From the projector. It doesnt make the noise with any other input. Very weird. Let me know if any other ideas. I plan on trying the suggestins above first.
post #104 of 105 Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Upon further review, I have found that the noise is actually coming from the projector. Again, when I switch the input to my HTPC, it starts the noise. From the projector. It doesnt make the noise with any other input. Very weird. Let me know if any other ideas. I plan on trying the suggestins above first.

Is it a high pitched intermittent screech? If so then it sounds like a suspect/faulty power switch mode supply on the HTPC. I've had HDMI transmit power supply noise in a similar fashion before.
post #105 of 105 Old 07-28-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

Is it a high pitched intermittent screech? If so then it sounds like a suspect/faulty power switch mode supply on the HTPC. I've had HDMI transmit power supply noise in a similar fashion before.

Yes, Eternal Velocity, it's a high pitched screech sound. I am using Ubuntu 12.10 on the HTPC. When I'm on the home page, there is no screech but when I open the file explorer or open an internet browser, etc...., it does the screech. I just put a new power supply in the HTPC within the last few months so I didn't think that this would be the culprit. Guess I could put another in and see. If not the power supply, any other ieas?

Thanks,

Matt
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page