I bought some maple veneer and it is cracked. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I bought some veneer from Lowe's today similar to http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-042

It has a crack about 6 inches long down the middle of it. The back is taped to hold it together ?? Is this a normal thing with veneer, or is this a problem? I could just take it back? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Put tape on the face and remove the tape from the back.
Once the veneer is installed, the crack should blend well enough to disappear.
Tape on the back will telegraph through the veneer, rather than lie flat once installed.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-15-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
It is not uncommon for traditional veneer to have splits. You just tape the face with veneer tape (similar to brown box tape) and remove it after the veneer is applied using a scraper or sander. OTOH I have never seen paper backed veneer with a split. But I suppose it happens. There isn't a lot of wood for sanding or scraping in paper backed veneer. It might be best to use something like masking tape that will just pull off. If you do, just make sure you remove any glue residue with an appropriate solvent before finishing. FWIW my inclination would be to take it back.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-16-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

it's a dual-sided veneer or whatever, not a paper-back one, so I guess the tape is already on the face probably? Or does it not matter which side you use as the face, as you just sand it down so its smooth anyways?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

It is not uncommon for traditional veneer to have splits. You just tape the face with veneer tape (similar to brown box tape) and remove it after the veneer is applied using a scraper or sander. OTOH I have never seen paper backed veneer with a split. But I suppose it happens. There isn't a lot of wood for sanding or scraping in paper backed veneer. It might be best to use something like masking tape that will just pull off. If you do, just make sure you remove any glue residue with an appropriate solvent before finishing. FWIW my inclination would be to take it back.

Sorry shoulda been more clear, it's actually not paper-back. And I could take it back, but they only had 2 rolls and both had small cracks with tape.

I can probably cut it so the crack part is right where the subwoofer hole will be cut.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page