subwoofer question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I am posting this in here because this unit was a DIY and was hoping there might be someone who may be able to help me with a few questions.

Searching through my local Craigslist ads I found this sub and am intrigued by it.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/ele/3101253938.html

My main concern is the quality of the build which I guess I can figure out when I go to look at although I am not too sure how to tell if it is built strong or not.

My other concern is if the amp he using is adequate for this setup. In the add he is saying it is delivering 1140 watts at 4 ohms, but according to the spec sheet for the amp that does not seems right.

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/3517-XLS-402_Power_and_Thermal_Data.pdf

Would anyone be able to guide me in the right direction with this please? I have never really messed with subs that require separate amps so I am not too sure what I am getting myself into here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Smells fishy....a "replica" subwoofer shouldn't cost so much, and the Crown amp is rated at 900W RMS @ 8ohms bridged mono....but doesn't appear to be 4ohm stable when bridged. I'd look elsewhere unless it was a bit cheaper.

edit - but, the amp is priced well....so I might be off a little :-/
post #3 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

Check out erich flat packs. You could build your own sub with very little tools, clamps is all you need really.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. The more I look at it I may pass on this. As was pointed out there is just something about it being a replica. If it was a kit from eD that would be one thing, but it seems as if this guy just went off on his own and built this.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Off topic, but what does that subwoofer have to do with PS3, Xbox, iPad, or droid? Absolutely nothing. I hate Craigslist spammers. Why do they think this is going to generate sales? Do they really think that someone searching for an iPhone is going to stumble upon that ad and think "Oh! This is perfect! I'll just buy an over priced replica subwoofer that moves a 'ton' of air instead of an iPhone!"?
caper_1 likes this.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

Off topic, but what does that subwoofer have to do with PS3, Xbox, iPad, or droid? Absolutely nothing. I hate Craigslist spammers. Why do they think this is going to generate sales? Do they really think that someone searching for an iPhone is going to stumble upon that ad and think "Oh! This is perfect! I'll just buy an over priced replica subwoofer that moves a 'ton' of air instead of an iPhone!"?

I noticed that too. does not make too much sense to me, but to each his own I guess.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page