Recommend a driver for salvaged powered enclosure... Or...? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I am considering a quasi-DIY project here -- apologies if this is not the right place to post this but it seems to be the best fit.

I have been given a Cambridge Soundworks Powered Sub Woofer II with a blown driver. It looks like the plate amp is ok but the surround on the 8" driver went bad and is reading infinite impedance across the coil. Given that surround is completely shot on the driver and I am guessing it bit the dust by being driven in this damaged state.

What I am pondering: is it worth getting a replacement driver for this? I thought if there is an inexpensive (<$25 up to maybe 50 or so depending on results) drop-in driver it might be be a nice enhancement to a computer / gaming or maybe tv setup.

There is very little info on the original box and I have been unable to track down specs but unlike its respected predecessor, the PSW I, the PSW II was, it appears, a bit of a miss. Here is the owner's manual download (it does not contain much info on the components): http://download.cambridgesoundworks.com/manuals/psub2.pdf

Although nothing special, the sealed enclosure itself is solidly built with an internal brace. The internal measurements are ~7.5"x19.5"x9.75". The plate amp is labeled as 400 watts, accepts L & R speaker level input or L & R line level input via RCA jacks. The low-pass filter can be set to 55, 80, 100 or 140 Hz and there is a bass level gain control. Inside it has single L & R output leads that connect to the speaker. Its components look of decent quality and has a pretty hefty transformer, a couple of beefy capacitors, etc.

So does this notion have merit or am I off my rocker? I see places like parts-express.com have items that might work but I figured I would run it by you folks -- what with your notable sub-savvy. Another possibility would be to perhaps salvage the amp and use for...? So what will it be? Cheesy Sub? Boat Anchor? Any thoughts are appreciated --

Thanks for your attention,

:Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250

You would need to measure the driver cutout to find a replacement. Internal volume is about 23 liters or .825cu ft so the driver needs to work well in a small sealed enclosure. Can you find out if the original driver is 8 or 4ohm? It may be printed on the driver or look for a model number.

spispopd likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 2184
Putting a component sub into a pre-fab box is absolutley effective. Here's one suggestion for you from Infinity -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity+-+Reference+8%22+Single-Voice-Coil+4-Ohm+Subwoofer/9897016.p?id=1218191356275&skuId=9897016&st=8%22%20subwoofer&cp=2&lp=3

I'm partial to Kicker CompVR's they are an amazing price/performance value - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2061CVR84/Kicker-10CVR84.html?tp=111 but I know people will call me crazy!

A dual-voice-coil 4 ohm component sub will work no matter the specs of your box, you simply need to wire it accordingly, or just wire in series for 8 ohms to be safe.

But the short answer is yes it works, and the better the driver the bigger the upgrade in sound. I hop you are willing to risk $60-100 on this because you'll be even happier. If not, my answer to your query is this driver: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-484 which is something you likely looked at already.
spispopd likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #4 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

You would need to measure the driver cutout to find a replacement. Internal volume is about 23 liters or .825cu ft so the driver needs to work well in a small sealed enclosure. Can you find out if the original driver is 8 or 4ohm? It may be printed on the driver or look for a model number.

The cutout looks to be a pretty standard 8" mount so my thinking was to go for something in that size.

Regarding impedance: I just double-checked and the only info on the driver is "Cambridge Soundworks" embossed on the back and a date: Sep -5 1995.

Also, faintly on the back of the cone it looks like:
P680100
95 030

The lower numbers might be a year - week indicator but there is nothing obvious (to me) suggesting the impedance, but perhaps someone might recognize something?

Thanks for your response!
---
post #5 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Putting a component sub into a pre-fab box is absolutley effective. Here's one suggestion for you from Infinity -
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity+-+Reference+8%22+Single-Voice-Coil+4-Ohm+Subwoofer/9897016.p?id=1218191356275&skuId=9897016&st=8%22%20subwoofer&cp=2&lp=3
I'm partial to Kicker CompVR's they are an amazing price/performance value - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2061CVR84/Kicker-10CVR84.html?tp=111 but I know people will call me crazy!
A dual-voice-coil 4 ohm component sub will work no matter the specs of your box, you simply need to wire it accordingly, or just wire in series for 8 ohms to be safe.
But the short answer is yes it works, and the better the driver the bigger the upgrade in sound. I hop you are willing to risk $60-100 on this because you'll be even happier. If not, my answer to your query is this driver: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-484 which is something you likely looked at already.

Thank you for the info! I was not sure about the flexibility of that type of dual 4 ohm driver but suspected that what you said about wiring for 4 or 8 ohm might be the case -- thanks for clearing that up! In addition, I had not seen the items you mention -- I will definitely take them into consideration.

Decisions decisions...

Thanks for your response!
---
post #6 of 7 Old 07-18-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250

Send an email to Cambridge, they might give you some info. Not all 8" drivers have the same dimensions so make sure to check that.

spispopd likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Send an email to Cambridge, they might give you some info. Not all 8" drivers have the same dimensions so make sure to check that.

Regarding contacting Cambridge: I had checked with them earlier and they were not able to help but given I have a bit more info now it does seem like it is worth another try.

Also, thanks for your noting the issue regarding the size of the driver -- it had not occurred to me that there might be such variations.

Thanks again!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page