Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 70
i'd never seen that post from Roger Dressler - makes sense and I was confident (not sure) the previous AVR didn't compress, but had never tried it with this one. What he said makes sense, and I could never see a valid reason for having compression in all DD decoders. Why hobble really capable systems when smaller systems could benefit from it, so having the choice downstream of the decoder made sense where it's inclusion or not could be decided based upon the expected end user.
post #33 of 35 Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

i'd never seen that post from Roger Dressler - makes sense and I was confident (not sure) the previous AVR didn't compress, but had never tried it with this one. What he said makes sense, and I could never see a valid reason for having compression in all DD decoders. Why hobble really capable systems when smaller systems could benefit from it, so having the choice downstream of the decoder made sense where it's inclusion or not could be decided based upon the expected end user.
Roger just recently said that in response to a question from Noah to clarify the issue. However, he also said something similar a few years ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler 
Downmixing in the DD chip turns on the DRC. But no self-respecting AV processor does the phantom mode inside the DD chip, since it would then not be available for all the other sources, like PCM, DTS, etc. The bass management stage is also where the "speaker management" is performed, thus easily avoiding DRC. If "many" means rarely, then I agree.
post #34 of 35 Old 07-24-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
When "forced DRC" with a phantom center was first brought to light and tested 5-6 years ago, the downmix implementation of activating DRC in the decoder appeared to be more the rule than the exception. For Roger to be so matter of fact about the rarity of this option now, maybe Dolby has been quietly encouraging the mfgs to switch to digitally reducing the channel levels before downmixing as DTS has always done.

AVS thread on the topic. (including participation from Roger and pointers to Dolby spec documents)

HTS thread on the topic.
post #35 of 35 Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34

What's the current thought on the Dolby Digital forced-DRC in receivers?

I tested Master & Commander BluRay on my Pioneer 1014 and it didn't force DRC on.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page