Tuba HT Dayton Reference HF vs. DVC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Dayton Reference HF 15'' in preparation for the THT sub (the recommended sub) but just discovered that many people are using the dayton DVC instead. Is there any true difference between the two in terms of SPL and frequency response? Looks like the DVS is a few db louder but can only go to 20hz compared to the Reference HF's 18hz.

Im trying for maximum clean SPL in the lowest frequencies.

Reference HF
DVC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't have all of the info that you are asking, but I do have the dayton 15" HF. We put in in a ported box, 6.5 ^ft, with 2x 30 inch ports, 4" diameter. This gave it a tune of around 18hz. With a bigger box, you won't need to have the long, 90 degree ports that we did.

At 18hz, there is a lot of output. In the audible range of 30 to 20hz, the sound is intense, windows rattiling, house making noise, and you can feel the floor.

We get good output down to around 16hz, and after that you don't feel the couch moving as much. I can't tell you if the dayton is capable of any more than that however, because the bash 300 amp we are using has a highpass around 17hz, so it may be losing low hz output drastically because of the amp but I'm not sure. Distortion is practically nonexistent, we do get some distortion when the amp reaches it's limits though.

As intense as this driver is, I wouldn't mind more. But I think that is how it will always be until you reach the limits that your ears and body can stand smile.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The DVC was the original recommended driver for the THT, but then parts-express / Dayton discontinued it, and the RSS became the new recommended driver; then parts-express / Dayton brought back the DVC. So they'll both work fine.

I built two THT LPs - the first used the RSS (DVC wasn't available at the time); the second used the DVC (when it came back, and was on sale). In my room at least, they are indistinguishable, and measure pretty much the same.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 116
You must provide distortion sweeps of each. Real good data to be had there.

JSS
post #5 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Another vote, would love to see those distortion sweeps as I will need to make this decision as well.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 808
i just took a look at this yesterday: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1329971/lilmikes-cinema-f-20/1320#post_22253517

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page