Will this work as polyester fill for a sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Will this be ok to put inside a subwoofer? If not what is recommended that is available from home hardware or lowes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I see no reason not to... better cellulose than fiberglass! Only issue, common to both, is placement control - a little netting or thin cloth to keep it away from the driver lest the fibers find their way into the coil gap. That's one reason folks will use entire pillows.

Have fun,
Frank
Old 07-24-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post

I see no reason not to... better cellulose than fiberglass! Only issue, common to both, is placement control - a little netting or thin cloth to keep it away from the driver lest the fibers find their way into the coil gap. That's one reason folks will use entire pillows.
Have fun,
Frank

is this better than using pillows?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wouldnt, polyfill or regular fiberglass will at least retain its shape, this will settle to a pile on the bottom.

Use pillows
Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

I wouldnt, polyfill or regular fiberglass will at least retain its shape, this will settle to a pile on the bottom.
Use pillows

should I just straight up put pillows in? lol

I have a 2'x2'x2' box approximately with an lms-r 15 driver. how many pillows should I put in?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

can someone explain how to fill a sub with pillows? Do I remove the stuffing and put it in? How do I get it to stay in and not just move around?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Liked: 17
There are two ways you can add fiberfill. The bunches of the stuff like you find in pillows, you simply pack in loosely. 1LB of fiberfill per cubic foot of space in the woofer is usually the rule of thumb for filling it. Or you can add it a 1/2LB at a time until you like the results you're hearing. Either way, between the "rigidity" of the fibers (for lack of a better term) and the amount you'll end up adding, it's not going to really move around or settle to the bottom. The alternative is lining the box with fiberfill batting, which is more consistent like a fabric, though it's the exact same material, just "woven" more tightly. This will keep it away from the driver and look a little neater - not that you're going to be seeing it again, but some people are anal retentive about these things. biggrin.gif If you decide to go with the loose stuff, using a bit of netting or fabric to keep it away from the driver, just in case, is a good idea as well, as previously mentioned. And definitely make sure it's fire re.tardant.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloBadalamenti View Post

There are two ways you can add fiberfill. The bunches of the stuff like you find in pillows, you simply pack in loosely. 1LB of fiberfill per cubic foot of space in the woofer is usually the rule of thumb for filling it. Or you can add it a 1/2LB at a time until you like the results you're hearing. Either way, between the "rigidity" of the fibers (for lack of a better term) and the amount you'll end up adding, it's not going to really move around or settle to the bottom. The alternative is lining the box with fiberfill batting, which is more consistent like a fabric, though it's the exact same material, just "woven" more tightly. This will keep it away from the driver and look a little neater - not that you're going to be seeing it again, but some people are anal retentive about these things. biggrin.gif If you decide to go with the loose stuff, using a bit of netting or fabric to keep it away from the driver, just in case, is a good idea as well, as previously mentioned. And definitely make sure it's fire re.tardant.

make sure the pillow stuffing is fire retardant or just the mesh? Do they even make pillows that aren't flammable? :P
Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

make sure the pillow stuffing is fire retardant or just the mesh? Do they even make pillows that aren't flammable? :P

I was speaking to having retardant fiberfill, but anything you add to the interior of the cab should be fire retardant if possible, for no reason other than an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

As far as flammable pillows, it never hurts to double check; you never know what's found its way to a shelf biggrin.gif Also, plenty of craft stores and online retailers sell fiberfill on its own for myriad uses, so depending on your location and how much you decide you need, you may find a better price point buying the material, instead of stocking up on pillows. On the other hand, you might find a fantastic deal on pillows - just food for thought!