Denovo DNA-360 + SEOS-12 Response & Impedance Graphs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi everyone,
I'm currently working on a speaker project for my home theater and am REALLY interested in the Denovo DNA-360 driver and SEOS-12 waveguide. I was originally planning (and have actually completed the crossover design for it) on using the B&C DE10 CD and ME10 horn combination, however after reading about the SEOS and Denovo am SERIOUSLY, SERIOUSLY reconsidering. My only problem is, I need the frequency response and impedance graphs (or data files, really in any format, I can convert from pretty much anything to what I need) to plug into Passive Crossover Designer. I see the FR graph, but it doesn't specify what waveguide it's on, and I've had no luck finding an impedance chart. I'm really looking for the DNA-360 mounted to the SEOS-12 graphs SPECIFICALLY, otherwise PCD really won't be all that accurate. Can anyone help me out?

FYI for anyone interested, it's a bit of an odd project... Instead of going with a single, large woofer, I'm using 4-6" woofers (Aura NS6-255-8As). I'd say my sensitivity is about 94dB/1W on average, a little higher on the lower end (about 96-97dB at <300Hz) because of my enclosure design; I'm using a ported box tuned to 65Hz, high-passed at 60Hz, with the big baffle they're mounted on, it should take care of the BSC without having to low pass a pair of them and lose some midbass. With the DE10+ME10 combo, I was using a 3rd order electrical HPF at 2000Hz (the acoustical rolloff is close to a 4th order, though), any recommendations or proven crossover designs for the Denovo?

Thanks!
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 732
I think it would be neat to see a design using the DE10. That compression driver will get quite loud and should be able to keep up with those Aurasounds with no problem.

I've got the DE10 and the 18-Sound equivalent CD on a test speaker with the SEOS-12 and they sound good.

Having said that, I'll ask forum member Bwaslo and see if he can help get those measurements in about a week. Maybe less.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

I'm actually pretty pleased with my DE10+ME10 design, it'd probably be in my best interest to stick with it, but I saw the DNA-360 compared to the DE250 but for a bunch less, so I figured I'd give it a look. I put a lot of man-hours into the DE10's crossover to really flatten its response and get a impedance curve I could tolerate (I have a strong electrical background, but am weak on the acoustics side, so a lot of the circuitry was just trial-and-error; my textbook electrical filter knowledge showed how textbook it actually was). I've been pretty fickle, initially I was planning on a Eminence ASD1001, then a Selenium D200E, then the D220Ti, and then ended up at the DE10 after hearing so many people praise it's smoothness and clarity. Plus I can appreciate the extra engineering on the part of B&C in matching the ME10 to the DE10; the data for that combo is easy to find from numerous sources, so it was super convenient to work with in PCD. It took quite a bit of padding to get the DE10 down to the Auras, but it also had a very positive effect on the FR so no worries.

Here's the FR... I'm very happy with it:

This is as good as I was able to get the impedance. Most important was staying above 6 ohms, I have a lower model (Harman Kardon AVR-247, it's 55W/channel at 8 ohms is the main driving force in a high-sensitivity speaker) receiver that'll run a 6 ohm speaker but I didn't want to go any lower.

The crossover schematic. I obviously wanted to have a SINGLE crossover for all 4 woofers, but I couldn't figure out a good way in PCD to do that, other than calling 2 woofers and 2 midranges and designing identical circuits. I was going to convert the values to make a single crossover, but I'm not so sure anymore because I don't have really any way to judge if it'll negatively effect performance. Like I said, I don't have rhyme or reason for some of the things I did, I just messed around and figured out what changes resulted in what outcomes, and this was a combo that worked well.

The baffle, drawn to scale. The woofer horizontal C-C spacing and woofer to CD C-C spacing is less than a 2000Hz wavelength, and really everything else is as good as I could get it. I modeled it after several theater speakers, most notably the QSC SR-46 cinema surround. I'm going to make the baffle out of fiberglass so I can rear-mount the woofers and have the surround baffle edge contour down to the surround. The Auras have an ugly paper gasket stuck to the front, but other than that it's not bad looking, just a plain old paper cone.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 732
There was extra engineering effort by the DIY guys to get the SEOS-12 to match up to the DE250 as well. wink.gif

For what it's worth, I've heard that there's also a compression driver coming that is very similar to the DE10 as well. It should match up well with some of the smaller waveguide designs. Maybe they will be called 'The Micro-Waves' biggrin.gif

Keep us posted on how your design works out.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Erich,
I really appreciate your help, but I was able to get the data files I needed from the guys at DIY Sound Group. Thanks alot!

I'll definitely keep a build log regardless of which HF driver I end up with, I'm pretty excited to see the results.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Whats the CTC on those woofers? Doesnt that alignment do something to the loading of the tweeter?

I believe your FR is a modeled one from something like PCD? If so your real world results will vary.......