THT vs pb13-ultra? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
how do these two compare? i have an ultra so i know how good it is but i want to try diy. Also, the horn would be a cooler match with my Klipsch Lascalas. how does the THT sub stack up against the ultra? FWIW, i have no intention of running them together. thanks

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
If you are ok with the tht form factor and are ok with the bandwidth limitation, the tht will get you more output per $$. A single 13" driver can only move so much air, while a 15" in a 22Hz horn can move a whole lot more, but only above 17-20Hz or so.....

JSS
post #3 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

If you are ok with the tht form factor and are ok with the bandwidth limitation, the tht will get you more output per $$. A single 13" driver can only move so much air, while a 15" in a 22Hz horn can move a whole lot more, but only above 17-20Hz or so.....
JSS

i always leave my ultra in 20Hz mode anyway. the form factor is fine. im planning on making two of them actually. they will go in my 3200ft^ basement. i will power them with a 500 watt Bash amp.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 831
ilkka has some numbers here for the ultra: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/6656-subwoofer-tests-fall-2007-a.html

they are 2m measurements, so add about 5db for a 1m number

this is a rough model of the tht from hornresp showing where the system is limited by the 15mm xmax of the driver (red) and 500 watts (black). it is NOT a frequency response. it is max spl in 2pi space for rough comparability to the ilkka numbers.

my interpretation is the ultra is higher at 20hz (with 20hz tuning), the tht pulls ahead by ~3db 40-50hz and by several db above that.

the lms has a high power amp and a long throw driver. the tht uses a modest xmax driver and won't require as much amp.

i don't see any reason why you couldn't use them together, so long as the delay on all the other components was about 1ms per foot of horn length on the tht. i think it is about 12 feet long, but i don't remember.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

another horn that you may want to consider is lilmike's f20 horn. it trades off a little bit of max spl around 30hz for a lower corner. he has a thread with full plans.

"i approve of this message."

Listen. It's All Good.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

ilkka has some numbers here for the ultra: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/6656-subwoofer-tests-fall-2007-a.html
they are 2m measurements, so add about 5db for a 1m number
this is a rough model of the tht from hornresp showing where the system is limited by the 15mm xmax of the driver (red) and 500 watts (black). it is NOT a frequency response. it is max spl in 2pi space for rough comparability to the ilkka numbers.
my interpretation is the ultra is higher at 20hz (with 20hz tuning), the tht pulls ahead by ~3db 40-50hz and by several db above that.
the lms has a high power amp and a long throw driver. the tht uses a modest xmax driver and won't require as much amp.

i don't see any reason why you couldn't use them together, so long as the delay on all the other components was about 1ms per foot of horn length on the tht. i think it is about 12 feet long, but i don't remember.

CEA 2010 results can allow as much as 30% THD at times, which is above the 10% THD criteria generally cited for Xmax....but here nor there. due to irregular phase response, I would not jump at the chance of using hor and non-horns for subwoofage together.

Cinema F20 FTW!! No need to buy plans, less panels and less bracing, and can be used both on it's side and vertically without driver orientation issues.

JSS
post #7 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Cinema F20 FTW!! No need to buy plans, less panels and less bracing, and can be used both on it's side and vertically without driver orientation issues."

Listen. It's All Good.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"Cinema F20 FTW!! No need to buy plans, less panels and less bracing, and can be used both on it's side and vertically without driver orientation issues."

well, i already have the plans and the THTLP form factor works better for me.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page