Aura NS6-255-8A? Are they any good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Has anyone in this forum worked with these drivers? How do they compare to something like the Dayton RS180? I realize the Dayton's are substantially more expensive, but the original retail price of the Aura was $40, just a little cheaper than the Dayton. I was looking at building a line source with 8 of these per side, but if I"m going to get something that does well for the money, but it is clearly a budget driver, then I would rather spend my time experimenting elsewhere.

Thanks

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The Stentorians are built with 6 of these drivers: Stentorians
post #3 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I think they are very decent drivers, and the current price point makes them even more attractive. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 69
they arent budget drivers, they just happen to be on closeout and there are currently a lot in stock..... supply and demand
post #5 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had read about the Stentorioans, but I never heard them, nor do I know anyone who has...but they look interesting.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll order a bunch of them and see. Worst case scenario I don''t like them, sell them used for half the price and only lose about $80.

If anyone has any further thoughts, please don't hesitate to post them.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #6 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 138
According to the spec sheet, the VC length is 11.3 mm and the gap depth is12.7 mm.

By standard calculation this would give an xmax of .15 mm.

Do these motors have stray flux that gives 70% of max BL at much larger excursions?

Noah
post #7 of 15 Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Noah, that "traditional" method of measuring Xmax is horribly inaccurate (and I'm not sure you even did it right - do you think, then, that overhung drivers have negative Xmax?). In my opinion, we would need to see a Klippel test of these drivers to give a proper opinion. I believe that using actual BL curve measurements (the 70% method) is the only right way to tell. I've heard that the NS6 isn't the best in the line, but I've also good things about it from other people. I'm not really sure myself. I do use an Aurasound NS10-513-4A as a computer "subwoofer" and it sounds absolutely amazing. People on HTGuide tested those drivers to have less distortion than even the Dayton RS series. But that doesn't necessarily make the NS6 good. I'm not sure I'd doubt the motor too much though... I do see Aurasound as a generally good brand.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 138
[quote name="DonoMan" url="/t/1421821/aura-ns6-255-8a-are-they-any-good/0_50#post_22252891"and I'm not sure you even did it right - do you think, then, that overhung drivers have negative Xmax?[/quote]

It works the same both ways; either way measures when the length of VC in the magnetic gap strats to diminish.

I agree that actual measurement of 70% BL is what matters, as you said (and I alluded to).

Noah
post #9 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Madisound has them for $6 a piece (for 30 or more). Since I have an account already setup with PE I have asked them to match it. I'll order 36 (12 per side [LCR]), at the very least it should keep me busy for a while, at a cost of 4 regularly priced "equivalent" drivers. If it works, nice bargain, if not...an $80 dollar expense (assuming I recover about 60%) which will give me an opportunity to experiment and learn. Not a bad outcome either way.

The above notwithstanding, I hope it works wink.gif

post #10 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

It works the same both ways; either way measures when the length of VC in the magnetic gap strats to diminish.
I agree that actual measurement of 70% BL is what matters, as you said (and I alluded to).

Hey, maybe DIYMobileAudio is still looking for someone new to run their Klippel testing. Or maybe we can convince Zaph to test it...

Edit: Whoops, messed up the quote. Fixed.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Ive used the ns6 in a couple of projects, with good results on both. It has a nice smooth midrange and decent bass for a 6. For bass, a large ported box (1.3cf or so) and tuned to 40hz works nice.But thar's per driver, can get kind of big with multiples. You can go smaller if not so greedy on the bass.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post

Ive used the ns6 in a couple of projects, with good results on both. It has a nice smooth midrange and decent bass for a 6. For bass, a large ported box (1.3cf or so) and tuned to 40hz works nice.But thar's per driver, can get kind of big with multiples. You can go smaller if not so greedy on the bass.

If one is planing to use subs, then one can use these in small sealed boxes (the f3 is around 90Hz in 0.25 cf), which is not too bad.

post #13 of 15 Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 AM

Liked: 10

I have used about twenty of these drivers for various projects, and they are superb!!!!! One must use them in the right place. They are not a woofer that will fill a room, but reproduce the vocal range with outstanding clarity and presence.

We used six in a line array with flanking line array tweeters and were totally amazed. We crossed over to a pair of 12" sealed subs at 180hz 24db oct.  For the tweeter line array's we used eight Aura NS6-255-8A per channel. We crossed these over at 3.2khz at 12db oct.

We are driving these with two custom j-fet monoblocks, good for 500wrms and gobs of current.(big 2kw  power supplies with over two farad of capacitance on each power supply rail of 86vrms each.

I cannot imagine a better performing midrange driver. Extremely dynamic and very fast. Rugged and very well built.

Steven E Brenner

S E B Engineering

stevenbrenner@Hotmail.com

post #14 of 15 Old 02-11-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I purchased them, but have not started the project yet. They will be used in line arrays with ribbons, The bottom end is handled by subs, so they should be operating within their "sweet" range.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

Hey, maybe DIYMobileAudio is still looking for someone new to run their Klippel testing. Or maybe we can convince Zaph to test it...***.

Here are Klippel measurements of the NS6: http://medleysmusings.com/aura-sound-ns6-255-8a/

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page