Amp for TD18H+ bass bins (<300Hz) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another question on high-power sub-/woofer amplifiers. I’m after an amp with, say, 750 to 1000W into 8 Ohms for some TD18H+ that will be in sealed cabinets and subject to (a yet to be determined amount of) EQ. The amplifier must be able to perform well up to 300Hz (x/o point to bass), quiet (it’ll reside in an open rack), reliable and not too expensive. I'm not interested in EQ features as all this will be done in a computer-based x/o. The options I’ve identified include QSC RMX 5050, Quest 3004, Yamaha P7000S and Crown XTI 4002. My initial preference was the Yamaha on the basis it’s rare for the fan to run in home environment but a P.A. / repair store (who doesn’t carry the brand) said that the new units aren’t that reliable. The QSC RMX 5050 seemed to have a quite a lot of fan noise (during a quick listen to an idling unit) and it’s not been possible to track down local suppliers with Quest / Crown. Any and all advice is welcomed.

Zydeco
gpmbc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Behringer EP4000 with a fan mod would be my personal recommendation.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #3 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 07:10 AM

Liked: 10
I replaced my Behringer EP2500 for the Yamaha P7000s because I wanted more headroom and I couldn't stand the fan noise. The Yamaha's fans do not come on unless you are really pounding on it. My fans have only come one ONCE in the last two years and was were virtually silent for the 10 seconds they did spin. The rack ears are removable unlike the Behringer. This amp is so powerful that I actually bottomed out my TC3000 while watching a movie. I also own a Yamaha P2500 for my front Polk Monitors 70's and it has been just as reliable. Buy the Yamaha and a Samson S-convert "bump box" to increase the voltage of your sub signal coming from your receiver and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfu_B7kTC-o&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/26853-yamaha-pro-amps-3.html

Samson S-Convert

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/processors/s-class-mini/sconvert/
post #4 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 3091
Long ago I simply yanked the fan from my Crown and left the cover off. It has never overheated, runs silent.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #5 of 8 Old 05-28-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been a while as I've been making do with an old 300W PA amp that has now developed a major hum / crackling so I'm back in the business of looking for power amp for sealed bass bins with 18" driver and EQ. I'd kind of settled on a move to a Yamaha P7000S but have stumbled across a pair of second hand Wyred 4 Sound SX-1000 mono-blocks for sale. These units are little simpler to integrate into the system (RCA / unbalanced), dead silent and not too different in power to the Yamaha with ratings of 625W @ 8 Ohms / 1140W @ 4 Ohms. I guess the big downside is that unlike the Yamaha it's not possible to bridge to get more output should that be required. My hesitation though is that the general sentiment in similar systems is for pro-audio amps. Is this just because of the better "bang for the buck"? Is there any reason that a consumer amp wouldn't be up to the task against a similar power pro-audio amp?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 312
There are several things to consider. The SX-1000 has an input sensitivity of 2.95V. This is higher than any pro amp so you actually need more voltage from your receiver to drive it vs a pro amp. You don't have any gain controls on the SX-1000. This can be helpful when using Acourate since you can match levels to your mains without as much attenuation in your filter.

I just setup a system with PB18H+ (same as TD18H+ but with a dustcap) subs. We used iNuke NU6000's, but those amps are very loud. We used Crest CC amps for the other channels. These amps run quiet, are low noise, and have lots of power. They can also be switched between a maximum of 20x or 40x for gain. The power is rated at .1% distortion which is lower than I've seen anyone else rate power. You can get a CC2800 on ebay for a good price from an authorized dealer. Interestingly enough, the owner also has a pair of SX-1000 amps.

Did you get 8 ohm drivers or are you running two 4 ohm PB18H+ drivers per channel?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-28-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, desertdome, for the advice. Your absolutely right the gain controls would be useful. Silent operation is critical for me which is one of the attractions of the P7000S as by all accounts the fan rarely engages. I'm running one 8Ohm driver on each size - any more would swamp the room.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

There are several things to consider. The SX-1000 has an input sensitivity of 2.95V. This is higher than any pro amp so you actually need more voltage from your receiver to drive it vs a pro amp. You don't have any gain controls on the SX-1000. This can be helpful when using Acourate since you can match levels to your mains without as much attenuation in your filter.

I’ve been thinking about this and realise that my understanding is on shaky ground. My situation is that the amp on my horns has 15dB gain and – given that the horns and bass drivers have similar sensitivities – I’m most likely going to have to attenuate the bass. The pro-audio amp route seems similar in that I can use the volume control to adjust input sensitivity – allowing bass / horn match whilst ensuring that the amp is operating at full power.

My question is what happens in the example with the SX-1000 amp given that it has a fixed input sensitivity of 2.95V. So, I’d most likely use a volume control ahead of this bass amp to level match with this reducing the voltage delivered to the SX-1000 (to, say, 1.5V). I understand that the SX-1000 would still be delivering it’s standard 27dB gain (albeit off a lower input) but want about the power? If I understand it, then I wouldn’t be taking advantage of the full power of the amp. Is this correct? And are there any real-world implications?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs