F20? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my living room is on the small side but I want to build this bass horn anyways. the wife want like this at all. here's a suggestion... there's a large vent in the floor where an old heater used to be. I used to do hvac, I know it will be hell to get that heater out from under the house. if I do... there will be a perfect place to mount a sub. I know I could a large IB but I want the F20. can you mount a bass horn under the house and have the mouth face up through the floor? please tell me you can and it actually perform well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If you are going to do through the trouble to hide the sub, i'd just go IB- it'll be easier and will probably have more output depending on what driver/amp combo you use.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33rd View Post

my living room is on the small side but I want to build this bass horn anyways. the wife want like this at all. here's a suggestion... there's a large vent in the floor where an old heater used to be. I used to do hvac, I know it will be hell to get that heater out from under the house. if I do... there will be a perfect place to mount a sub. I know I could a large IB but I want the F20. can you mount a bass horn under the house and have the mouth face up through the floor? please tell me you can and it actually perform well.

Sure, you can, if it will physically fit in the space you have. Others have done even bigger horns under their house.

As far as performance??? I know how an F-20 measures groundplane, I have no idea what your room will do to that. Before you go through the trouble, it would be a good idea to make sure that the opening is in a good spot in the room. With subs, just like real estate, it is all about location, location, location.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
the opening is behind the couch.... couch is facing the TV and monitors of course
post #5 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 05:21 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33rd View Post

the opening is behind the couch.... couch is facing the TV and monitors of course

In most living spaces, rooms have more effect below ~~300hz (increasingly more so as you descend in frequency) on the response of woofers and subwoofers than the actual drivers do. "Behind the couch" doesn't give us enough information to be very helpful - other than to tell you it's a quasi near field position. Like Mike said... "Location, location, Location!"

Realistically you should qualify the room. There are freeware programs available that allow you to measure your room acoustics which are more capable than what we had for professional gear less than a decade ago.. (REW comes to mind).

Your best bet? Take a small woofer - place it in your preferred listening location -then measure the response at all possible subwoofer locations. If the one behind the couch works - then use it! smile.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
+1 to what kicker and lilmike said.

if that baffle location causes big nulls at your listening position, it won't matter how good the sub is, the overall experience will be poor.

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page